Cmasterclay

Precursors 2016! Winners and Nominations

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Even though moonlight isn't winning best picture everywhere Jenkins is sweeping those best director wins since he won NY and NBR too. Could see 'first black best director' turn into a narrative and splits with la la Land.

And this sounds like exactly the kind of narrative that the Academy will ignore if they like the BP winner enough.

There's no big tech achievement pic like Life of Pi or Gravity or Revenant this time around, unless Passengers or Rogue One somehow become huge (which they won't).

I guess never count out Marty, but if La La Land wins I can't see it not going to Chazelle.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

And this sounds like exactly the kind of narrative that the Academy will ignore if they like the BP winner enough.

There's no big tech achievement pic like Life of Pi or Gravity or Revenant this time around, unless Passengers or Rogue One somehow become huge (which they won't).

I guess never count out Marty, but if La La Land wins I can't see it not going to Chazelle.

same 

the boston critics are next sunday. maybe something to do with silence has screened in LA/NY but it's screening other places this week. though the film didn't really seem to factor with either group so far beyond that supporting actor runner up shout-out from la.

• Like 3

2016 Atlanta Film Critics Society Awards

BEST FILM - LA LA LAND

BEST DIRECTOR - Damien Chazelle, LA LA LAND

BEST ACTOR - Casey AffleckMANCHESTER BY THE SEA

BEST ACTRESS - Annette Bening, 20TH CENTURY WOMEN

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Mahershala Ali, MOONLIGHT

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Lily Gladstone, CERTAIN WOMEN

BEST ENSEMBLE - Cast of AMERICAN HONEY

BEST ANIMATED FILM - KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS

BEST DOCUMENTARY FILM - 13TH

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM - TONI ERDMANN

BEST SCREENPLAY - Kenneth Lonergan, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

BEST SCORE - Cliff Martinez, THE NEON DEMON

BEST SONG - "Drive It Like You Stole It" from SING STREET

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - Linus Sandgren, LA LA LAND

BEST EDITING - Tom Cross, LA LA LAND

EMPIRE OF THE SOUTH AWARD (Best Motion Picture Filmed in GA) - HIDDEN FIGURES

https://www.atlantafilmcriticssociety.com/home/2016/12/4/2016-atlanta-film-society-awards

• Like 2

I feel so out of touch this year - Hail! Caesar is the closest I have come (great film) to the Oscar Bait type films and that was just tonight. Trying to stream / netflix as many as I can over the next few weeks but yeah - hard to must any excitement when I am so far behind.

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

I feel so out of touch this year - Hail! Caesar is the closest I have come (great film) to the Oscar Bait type films and that was just tonight. Trying to stream / netflix as many as I can over the next few weeks but yeah - hard to must any excitement when I am so far behind.

Watch Love & Friendship! Kate Beckinsale is divine in it.

• Like 1

http://www.dcfilmcritics.com/awards/

THE 2016 WAFCA AWARD WINNERS:

Best Film:
La La Land

Best Director:
Damien Chazelle (La La Land)

Best Actor:
Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)

Best Actress:
Natalie Portman (Jackie)

Best Supporting Actor:
Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

Best Supporting Actress:
Viola Davis (Fences)

Best Acting Ensemble:
Hell or High Water

Best Youth Performance:
Lucas Hedges (Manchester by the Sea)

Best Voice Performance:
Liam Neeson (A Monster Calls)

Best Motion Capture Performance:
Mark Rylance (The BFG)

Best Original Screenplay:
Damien Chazelle (La La Land)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Eric Heisserer, Based on the Story "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang (Arrival)

Best Animated Feature:
Kubo and the Two Strings

Best Documentary:
13th

Best Foreign Language Film:
Elle

Best Production Design:
Production Designer: David Wasco;
Set Decorator: Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, SDSA (La La Land)

Best Cinematography:
Linus Sandgren, SFS (La La Land)

Best Editing:
Tom Cross, ACE (La La Land)

Best Original Score:
Justin Hurwitz (La La Land)

The Joe Barber Award for Best Portrayal of Washington, DC:
Jackie

OK these awards mean very little to the industry but lets assume some things.

-I did not expect critics to include La La Land so much. It had rave reviews from the start, but since it got tagged as the "Hollywood" popular choice for BP since Venice, I thought at least the big critic groups will snub it in favour of other stuff, more in need of their championing. But since it won awards in NY and LA already, I can see it getting a lot of the smaller critic groups who usually go for more mainstream stuff.

-Moonlight pretty much solidified its place as the critic favorite of the season. Still doesn't mean much until we see it included in actual industry awards like the guilds but it already has much bigger critical support than Carol did last year.

-The acting awards suggest that the critics might make Huppert happen as Best Actress nominee simalirly to Cotillard or Charlot Rambling a few years ago and that Affleck is their almost unanimous pick. But Affleck, Huppert, Michelle Williams and Naomi Harris could win a billion critic awards and still end up losing at the oscars to Denzel, Portman, Stone or Viola Davis. The only acting category that the critics might have a chance to influence big time is Best Supporting Actor if the Mahershala Ali sweep continues.

• Like 1

I think critics are certainly helping Affleck as well, he's sweeping for now. Sure, so was, say, Jeremy Renner in 2009, but Affleck has been around for longer, is a previous nominee, his movie is looking to break out in the box office, and his only real competitor has already won twice so unless he's absolutely God-level in Fences I think the voters are more likely to recognize Affleck. Ali in a similar boat in relation to Bridges for now. 

Huppert's awards will obviously never get her close to an actual Oscar, the only question is how many critical awards will Stone and Portman manage to get between them. Supporting Actress is still likely going to Viola with a possible Naomie Harris upset, no change there.

• Like 2