Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

I see some people here haven't met Jessie yet or maybe forgotten who he is.

I think It Follows is the only one of the really hyped up recent indie horror flicks that didn't fully deliver to me. The Babadook and The Witch are both among my favorites of the decade. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House is another one I love and can't stop namedropping even though 80% of this board would probably hate it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think It Follows is the only one of the really hyped up recent indie horror flicks that didn't fully deliver to me. The Babadook and The Witch are both among my favorites of the decade. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House is another one I love and can't stop namedropping even though 80% of this board would probably hate it. 

I'd thought I'd like this one more. I loved the lead and minimalist filmmaking really worked well. Ending's great too. Perfectly shot.

Did you like I Am Not A Serial Killer? Or, The Wailing?

Everyone's hyping Raw. I still have to see Autopsy of Jane Doe, Eyes of My Mother and Demon. Most of my pals have already seen the three I just mentioned. So, I'm a bit behind there.

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's pretty amazing how people see different films in different ways.

I found the Babadook to be a horrible film and it angered me watching it.

The Witch was ok

But It Follows was one of my favourite films on the last 5 years.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd thought I'd like this one more. I loved the lead and minimalist filmmaking really worked well. Ending's great too. Perfectly shot.

Did you like I Am Not A Serial Killer? Or, The Wailing?

Everyone's hyping Raw. I still have to see Autopsy of Jane Doe, Eyes of My Mother and Demon. Most of my pals have already seen the three I just mentioned. So, I'm a bit behind there.

The Wailing had some great visuals and went by really quickly but it really hasn't stuck in my mind at all. Wasn't a fan of Demon and straight up disliked The Eyes of My Mother. Didn't see I Am Not A Serial Killer but I assumed it wasn't really horror but more of a comedy/thriller hybrid or something. 

Pretty Thing had those wonky flashbacks/backstory but aside from that it was the creepiest thing I've seen in ages. Watching the telephone cord scene I felt like it was a movie made specifically for me. Probably as close as modern horror could come to The Innocents, and even then only on Netflix money. 

Looking forward to Autopsy of Jane Doe and especially to Raw. And, well, to Get Out although it doesn't have a release date here so that might not happen till summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Wailing had some great visuals and went by really quickly but it really hasn't stuck in my mind at all. Wasn't a fan of Demon and straight up disliked The Eyes of My Mother. Didn't see I Am Not A Serial Killer but I assumed it wasn't really horror but more of a comedy/thriller hybrid or something. 

Pretty Thing had those wonky flashbacks/backstory but aside from that it was the creepiest thing I've seen in ages. Watching the telephone cord scene I felt like it was a movie made specifically for me. Probably as close as modern horror could come to The Innocents, and even then only on Netflix money. 

Looking forward to Autopsy of Jane Doe and especially to Raw. And, well, to Get Out although it doesn't have a release date here so that might not happen till summer.

I didn't really like the purpose/theme of The Wailing. Maybe it's more compelling in its homeland? The theme was to purposely confuse/disorient, not answer and to do so to accent the futility of humanity in being unable to distinguish truth from fiction. But, yeah, some pretty incredible moments in that one, especially the final moments and the prolonged exorcism juxtaposed against the shaman trying raise the dead man. Looks so good too. Just beautiful to look at. Pretty much every frame of it really. And, the daughter and dad are fucking great.

I've heard Eyes of My Mother is pretty off-putting from a few friends. I've also heard Demon was somewhat disappointing.

I Am Not A Serial Killer has essentially zero comedy. For better or worse. It's a pretty awkward experience. A good one. Well worth checking out.

Has anyone here seen The Lure yet? That's up there on my Must See list if/when it ever comes to Pittsburgh.

Just got home from seeing this and it's pretty good, not great to me, but it was good enough.  It had pretty good setup to not the biggest payoff, but it's still good.  I'd give it about a B+

more comedic than scary, well it's not scary at all, but that wasn't the point of the movie and not a drawback either :) 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I very much enjoyed the horror version of Guess Who's coming to Dinner.

Also the best horror movie is the original The Haunting

That movie still scares the shit out of me. I fucking love. And, I'm ashamed I don't own it.

As for Train To Busan, just arrived in the mail from Netfilx. About to pop it in now.

• Like 3

It Follows is really great.  The Witch was one the bigger disappointments I've seen recently after all the hype, I was so goddamn bored.   And Cabin in the Woods is a horror movie?

I feel like I've been watching terrible un-skippable ads for Get Out on youtube for months, really surprised at those reviews.

• Like 3