Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Opening to half of what that would be for R1, and not having bad WOM despite what some here might want you to believe. Not saying I know this will have bad WOM, I'm saying even with good WOM 3.4x would be a very hard multi to hit off of an OW like that. 

But the casual Star Wars fan crowd is much bigger the casual Hobbit fan crowd.

And casual fans typically avoid the flood of nerds OD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

At worst it'll be pretty close to a 3.5 multi. TFA opened even much higher and almost got a 3.8 multi. I know you'll say "but TFA was a phenomenon". What was phenomenal about it was really the opening, what followed was a pretty standard performance for a mid December release.

No, absolutely not. It's ridiculous and completely wrong to assume that every December movie gets a good multiplier because of December and the holidays. TFA only maintained such a multiplier because of its insane word-of-mouth, as other people have mentioned. If it didn't have that word-of-mouth and released in December to $248m, it would have gotten probably a 3.0 or sub-3 multiplier, at best. TFA was a phenomenon both because of the opening weekend and because of the multiplier it sustained despite that huge opening weekend. It had the best of both worlds.

Given that Rogue One won't have that kind of universal appeal and that kind of word-of-mouth that TFA had, and given that it's still opening probably 60-70% higher than any other non-TFA December release, a 3.5x multiplier certainly is not the worst it can do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I loved that guy in The Mummy. His happy death face after one last adventure. It always made me sad but happy at the same time.

Fox really played the role lightheartedly and with the clear sense he was having fun, that you could believe that this character who was willing to sacrifice himself, just so he could go on one last adventure.

• Like 1

From Fandango:

ARE YOUR KIDS READY FOR 'ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY'?

(slightly slightly SLIGHTLY spoilery article)

Their conclusion:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story might be a bit heavy, but there is enough humor and bright beach activity that kids will probably be okay with it. The film is very entertaining, offering plenty for diehards while still allowing for those who are less familiar. Younger kids may be a bit bored in the beginning and/or a little overwhelmed toward the end, but the rest of the family should be happy with this (Rogue) one

Take that from what it's worth.  But considering this is on the R1 page on Fandango, I suspect more than a few parents will be reading it.

• Like 2