Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

5 minutes ago, water said:

am i the only one who thinks that rather than the prequels underperforming os, hp and lotr were just absolutely ginormous?

Obviously they were both hugeeee...

P.S: Do we know how would the WW total of HP1 adjust today? I know that the 300m DOM is like 480m adjusted but what about the OS numbers?

Edited by FantasticBeasts

59 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Seems unlikely to be that low. I mean, as folks have noted, AotC did 338M OS while Two Towers was at 583M and RotK was 742M the next year. And as Tele said, Sith did beat out Narnia OS but only just barely.

The point being, Domestically, its a rampaging, unstoppable juggernaut. But WW, its merely a very successful franchise. Without question, its the strongest franchise ever, domestically. WW, one could argue that its the best franchise ever, but plenty of people would disagree with you.

So, there's a bit of a dichotomy going on there. Many folks are aware of this, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of people who make wildly overenthusiastic predictions.

GiantCALBears, since you don't bring up any actual numbers, I'm guessing your anticipated outrage is based on half-remembered guesses as to what you think people projected, rather than having actually looked at the projections and found them to be wildly optimistic. You might be right, but I'm not sure you're actually basing this on anything or not.

I too was also somewhat surprised at the prequels overseas numbers. I mean Phantom Menace made less than Independence Day that decade and AOTC overseas gross was honestly kind of poor (it was less than movies like Armageddon and The Day After Tomorrow).. Luckily Star Wars seems to have only improved in overseas popularity in the last ten years

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Obviously they were both hugeeee...

P.S: Do we know how would the WW total of HP1 adjust today? I know that the 300m DOM is like 480m adjusted but what about the OS numbers?

Philosopher's Stone was the highest grossing movie of all time behind only Titanic back in 2001. Adjusted for inflation and given a modest 3D bump would give it 1.7 billion. Then when you factor in certain markets being far larger today than they were back then....Philosopher's Stone likely would have done close to 2 billion in today's dollars and box office climate.

Edited by Lumos
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, water said:

am i the only one who thinks that rather than the prequels underperforming os, hp and lotr were just absolutely ginormous?

Spot on. People seem to forget that the final LOTR movie was the 2nd biggest film worldwide only behind Titanic for 6 years running, and 3rd biggest for a further 2 years after Avatar came out. It was massive, and Potter films also were top 10 films. The international box office has gone insane the last few years, obviously mainly because of China. Any old blockbuster release that can attract China now can make the top 10 without over-performing anywhere else.

EDITED, thanks for the heads up Daxtreme

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 5

Just now, Lumos said:

Philosopher's Stone was the highest grossing movie of all time behind only Titanic back in 2001. Adjusted for inflation and given a modest 3D bump would give it 1.7 billion. Then when you factor in certain markets being far larger today than they were back then....Philosopher's Stone likely would have done close to 2 billion in today's dollars.

:o:o:o Wow I was thinking about 1.5 billion but this is seriously unexpectedly  HUGE!

Onto Rogue One though, I got a feeling the drops in US on opening weekend from TFA will be a much smaller percentage than many of the international markets. Maybe 30-40%. Perhaps also in UK too. All 4 midnight screens sold out in a week at the cinema I saw it at in Birmingham last night.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

2 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

final LOTR movie was the 3rd biggest film worldwide only behind Titanic & Avatar for 8 years

Actually, Return of the King became #2 all-time worldwide when it came out (behind Titanic), and it held onto that spot until 2009 when Avatar came out, which bumped it to #3

So 6 years #2

It lost #3 to Harry Potter 7.2 I believe, because transformers 3 hadn't surpassed it quite yet in 2011 (I believe the numbers have been modified a bit throughout the years for this movie, the-numbers.com even has ROTK surpassing Transformers 3)

So another 2 years #3

• Like 5

Just now, Daxtreme said:

Actually, Return of the King became #2 all-time worldwide when it came out (behind Titanic), and it held onto that spot until 2009 when Avatar came out, which bumped it to #3

So 6 years #2

It lost #3 to Harry Potter 7.2 I believe, because transformers 3 hadn't surpassed it quite yet in 2011 (I believe the numbers have been modified a bit throughout the years for this movie, the-numbers.com even has ROTK surpassing Transformers 3)

So another 2 years #3

Oh yes of course. A mind blank on Avatar when i wrote that post for some reason. So that in fact, is even more impressive.

• Like 2

From the Russian thread:

Kinometro has just released their early thursday numbers. They see Rogue One OD at 56-59M rubles Russia-only. That's 63-66M rubles or just 1,04-1,09M$ OD Russia CIS, which is only 31-33% of TFA OD! Kinometro sees Rogue One weekend at just 290-310M rubles Russia-only (about 325-350M or 5,4-5,8M$ Russia CIS).

That result will be shocking #19-21 OW of 2016. OMG!!! TFA set OW record last year...

Looks like Rogue One completely died in the evening. Let's wait for official OD number and saturday increase... But at this point 20M$ are not happening. Even 1B rubles (16,5M$) is not locked.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm younger than him  

According to what I have seen in this thread and what I know from elsewhere I am probably the oldest female active member here, and as I haven't seen a certain member whose name I forgot (but know when I see it I think, and no, BKB is still younger) maybe even the oldest active of all. I still do not feel old. :P

• Like 2