Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Though my girlfriend really enjoyed the movie, I do worry that it's a bit dark for many general audiences and she usually tells me she hates sad movies no matter how good they are. Many of my favorite movies are pretty sad, in some respects, but they are still overall hopeful. I'm not sure how they're going to react to that element or Rogue One, the general darkness and whatnot. Will they tell all of their friends it's a very good movie and worth seeing, a powerful story with solid characters and visually amazing? Or will they tell their friends it was a fine movie, some great parts, but a real downer and kind of depressing to watch. I'm not really sure. 

4 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Dude. A movie's 'darkness' isn't solely measured by its death count. People don't claim A New Hope is a darker movie than the Dark Knight because more people died on Alderaan than in the Joker's rampage. There are a lot of factors that make a movie dark. ESB ends with the bad guys clearly winning, with Luke suffering both major physical (showing that the hero not invincible, whether or not he gets a robot hand later) and psychological trauma from, you know, learning a) Obi Wan lied to him and b ) his father is one of the biggest mass murderers in the galaxy (but obviously only an SJW trigger could be bothered by something like that. :rolleyes:) Plus the Empire is almost relentlessly on our heroes (or at least Han + Leia) from beginning to end, in a way that doesn't feel as present in other movies. ESB is dark for a large number of reasons that the other movies don't share. Bodycount isn't everything.

That said, Rogue One is probably a darker movie than ESB. Not necessarily a better one, mind, just darker.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate. I don't find ESB to be that dark of a movie, personally. Maybe it's because I was never young enough to watch these movies as they came out, I already had the full OT by the time I started watching Star Wars. I knew everything would be ok in ROTJ since I was as young as I can remember, so ESB is a setback but nothing more. To me, AOTC and ROTS are a lot darker movies than ESB, more foreboding and in the case of ROTS a full tragedy in the truest sense. Never seen a blockbuster movie do that before, and probably only possible with a property as popular as Star Wars. Rogue One isn't ROTS dark, in my opinion, but it's certainly right up there. I'm just trying to imagine watching these movies in order now, yikes, love ROTS and love Rogue One, but after those two movies back to back I'm going to be really ready for some ANH and ROTJ action ha ha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I've never thought of ESB as "dark" just more mature in tone. Even this film wasn't particularly dark to me. ROTS is the "dark" one if we're using that adjective for Star Wars, yet incidentally not as mature of a film as ESB

ESB is dark in the sense that the characters have a rough go of it but it's still a very fun movie. It's Star Wars it's never gonna be the grimdark misery some weirdos want

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I've never thought of ESB as "dark" just more mature in tone. Even this film wasn't particularly dark to me. ROTS is the "dark" one if we're using that adjective for Star Wars, yet incidentally not as mature of a film as ESB

This is true, the middle school level romance between Han and Leia ("You could use a good kiss!" and them not talking about their feelings for each other, her playing hard to get, etc.) felt a lot more mature to me than Anakin slaughtering younglings and the dissolution of a republic into an empire. Wait... no, sorry I got that backwards :P 

I love ESB, I just like to play Devil's Advocate, I didn't see anything more mature in the OT in general than the PT. I think it's the opposite. OT is a lot more kid-friendly. The same group that wants to call the PT kiddie can't figure out how to reconcile that with the only PG-13 rated saga film 1-6, or their criticisms of too much politics, because you can't really have it both ways. As near as I can tell the "true" Star Wars fans stunted their growth somewhere around the tween years, because the fart jokes in TPM were too kiddie for them, and the politics too adult to understand, but the middle school romance of Han and Leia was "just right." I guess that's where they draw the line. For me, I love it all, I still laugh at farts and fart jokes, I love political discourse, I really enjoy Han and Leia's witty banter and tension between them, I like how there's something for everyone in the saga. Whether you're more into politics or more into spirituality or more into personal relationships, war, action, creatures, planets, whatever it may be, there's something for everyone there. There just isn't the same thing over and over, which is probably why some fans don't like some movies, and do like others. 

• Like 1

I really do wish this was a Fantastic Beasts situation for me. I called that entire marketing campaign a snooze and could barely muster the enthusiasm for it to get out to the theater, but then I loved the film. I like it so much better when that happens than what happened with Rogue One. 

So I've been reading this thread for a while, and I'm completely dumbfounded. Can someone pray tell me why this movie would "only" open to 120m to 130m if it indeed has 30m in previews? Unless the preview number is massively off (which is possible), I don't see how it opens to less than 150m.