John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

Just now, La Binoche said:

Pretty Woman became a phenomenon because the public loved Julia Roberts in it. Her performance won people over. But anyway a year later she opened Sleeping With the Enemy to big numbers and took it past $100M even though it was savaged by critics and competing with another massive thriller, The Silence of the Lambs. 

Yea, because of Pretty Woman.  This isn't hard to figure out, La Binoche.  Look at the box office after she did Pretty Woman.  She was a giant.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Assassin's Creed will likely see a big dip tomorrow and probably won't see much of a rebound over the holidays. Fully expecting today to be the biggest day of its entire run.

Not with Christmas day coming up, that's gonna be a big day for everything. Afterwards, yeah we could see some big drop offs for it. 

• Like 2

Jackie left me cold. The more time passes, the less I care for it. I'm not surprised it's underperforming despite the hype. Conversely, I really liked 20th Century Women (which will also flop due to competition and A24's box office struggles). 

They should've saved 20th Century Women for the spring where it might have had a chance to stand out as alternative fair. As it stands, without much in the way of buzz (Golden Globes looks to be about as far as it's going), it's destined to get lost in the shuffle, especially facing a lot of competition on the specialty front.

J. Law does have control over the roles she chooses, but Hollywood also offers her a lot of stuff, because they think she'll sell it, like the Addario memoir that would have been great for a 40 year old actress.

Sony did not just offer her a 20M paycheck off the bat for Passengers to entice her. She and her reps demanded that paycheck.

Jennifer Lawrence did say she was hesitant to sign on because I guess she wanted to bolster her image as a serious actress, but she was drawn to the story.

http://www.vogue.com/13368193/jennifer-lawrence-december-2015-cover-hunger-games/

http://ew.com/article/2015/11/23/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-passengers-cotton-candy/

Of course, you can never know and she would not say it was about the money. There was also the Fallon thing. But, she described herself as passionate and excited about the movie.

• Like 1

Right, unlike JLaw who can't seem to do the same. 

Everything she has been in has been big, with the exception of Joy.  But Roberts also had a misfire in her run of excellence.  And that was a film that everyone thought would be huge because it was about a young man dying of cancer.  Dying Young was a summer movie in 1989 and Premiere magazine predicted it to make about as much as Lethal Weapon 2.  It bombed with 33 million.  It happens to everyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They should've saved 20th Century Women for the spring where it might have had a chance to stand out as alternative fair. As it stands, without much in the way of buzz (Golden Globes looks to be about as far as it's going), it's destined to get lost in the shuffle, especially facing a lot of competition on the specialty front.

I get why they went for December. It's a pretty "substantial" film. It's not The Meddler or Hello My Name is Doris type fluff. It could have been a contender during a less busy year. 

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

J. Law does have control over the roles she chooses, but Hollywood also offers her a lot of stuff, because they think she'll sell it, like the Addario memoir that would have been great for a 40 year old actress.

Sony did not just offer her a 20M paycheck off the bat for Passengers to entice her. She and her reps demanded that paycheck.

Jennifer Lawrence did say she was hesitant to sign on because I guess she wanted to bolster her image as a serious actress, but she was drawn to the story.

http://www.vogue.com/13368193/jennifer-lawrence-december-2015-cover-hunger-games/

http://ew.com/article/2015/11/23/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-passengers-cotton-candy/

Of course, you can never know and she would not say it was about the money. There was also the Fallon thing. But, she described herself as passionate and excited about the movie.

I can see why she was passionate about the movie.  It's an excellent film imo.

The only reason people are checking out Manchester by The sea is the glowing reviews.

Not a lot of people Know what a white Michelle Williams is, what a Batfleck Brother looks like or the function of a Kenneth Lonergan.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The only reason people are checking out Manchester by The sea is the glowing reviews.

Not a lot of people Know what a white Michelle Williams is, what a Batfleck Brother looks like or the function of a Kenneth Lonergan.

I see your batteries need to be changed, again.

• Like 6

20th Century Fox’s Assassin’s Creed will likely notch ahead of Sony/Village Roadshow/LStar Capital’s Jennifer Lawrence-Chris Pratt sci-fi film Passengers, $4.5M to $4M. Essentially, the core female audience that would go watch Passengers doesn’t come out until Christmas Day and beyond.

Essentially, box office analysts believe that Assassin’s Creed is front-loaded by the fanboy quotient.  In regards to Passengers, which cost a reported $110M, I’m told that should the movie gross $45M-$50M in its first six days that should be fine, but anything under that would be tough sledding.

Wait I'm confused. They think it can do 45-50M off of a $4M (incl previews) Wednesday? I know moviegoing blows up this time of year but 45-50M?!

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Wait I'm confused. They think it can do 45-50M off of a $4M (incl previews) Wednesday? I know moviegoing blows up this time of year but 45-50M?!

That does kind of feel like "tracking said 45-50M, I'm going to ignore what happened today" kind of prediction.

But who knows...seems holidays are a little off so there is going to be pickup for movies.  That seems...ambitious though.  But I haven't really mapped it out.

Edited by kowhite

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's Deadline. They probably left that part of the article in from earlier in the day before numbers even came out. 

Interested to see where these four go. Other than AC, they all have a fairly wide range for potential. And Moana/LLL could both make some noise, too (wouldn't be shocked if they're both ahead of AC/Why Him?/Fences by 12/30-1/2) 

Rogue One

$70.5 million/$94 million ($315 million)

$59 million/$73 million ($452 million)

$27 million ($486 million)

$16.5 million/$20.5 million ($515 million)

$8 million ($525 million)

$4.5 million ($532 million)

$2 million ($535 million)

$543 million DOM 

Sing

$41 million/$57 million ($78 million)

$48 million/$59.5 million ($185 million)

$26.5 million ($215 million)

$17 million/$22 million ($241 million)

$10 million ($253 million)

$5.5 million ($260 million)

$3 million ($264 million)

$277 million DOM

Passengers 

$18 million/$25 million ($34 million)

$20.5 million/$25 million ($81 million)

$9.5 million ($93 million)

$4 million/$4.75 million ($100 million)

$1.5 million ($102 million)

$106 million DOM 

Assassin's Creed 

$11 million/$15 million ($23 million)

$12 million/$14 million ($47 million)

$4 million ($52 million)

$1.5 million/$1.75 million ($54 million)

$57 million DOM