John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

5 minutes ago, kowhite said:

That does kind of feel like "tracking said 45-50M, I'm going to ignore what happened today" kind of prediction.

But who knows...seems holidays are a little off so there is going to be pickup for movies.  That seems...ambitious though.  But I haven't really mapped it out.

Yeah the " I’m told that should the movie gross " sounds like an early tracking and best case circumstance.  But even opening Sony was saying$35m over the 5 day.  Now it looks like it may be closer to $30m over the 6 day if it gets a better bump than Dragon Tattoo

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

" Disney and Lucasfilm's Rogue One is expected to stay No. 1 with a $15 million-$17 million Wednesday, if not more."

Does this imply that the Hollywood Reporter believes R1 could possibly gross $17M+ today? If so, that's impressive.

Should be interesting. My matinee was fairly full today. Of course that is just one theater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

IF RO ends near 325 million near Monday is it on track for 500 million? 

Definitely, with 325M by Monday, RO should be around 450M+ after following Monday and finishing around 540-545M.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

IF RO ends near 325 million near Monday is it on track for 500 million? 

Based on 2011 holds for the 4-day New Year's weekend, I don't see how it misses $500 million DOM. 

Even with hefty drops throughout January sans MLK, I see it reaching $540 million. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah the " I’m told that should the movie gross " sounds like an early tracking and best case circumstance.  But even opening Sony was saying$35m over the 5 day.  Now it looks like it may be closer to $30m over the 6 day if it gets a better bump than Dragon Tattoo

Given how dark Dragon Tattoo was, I don't know if it's an accurate film to compare with Passengers. Plus, one is rated R and the other is PG-13. 

Passengers is more GA-friendly, so it could hold better than Dragon Tattoo. No one really knows how frontloaded it'll be at this point. 

This time of year, most everything holds well, so a $15-18 million OW could still lead to a $100-120 million DOM total. Obviously Sony expected $150-225 million DOM like The Martian and interstellar, but perhaps they should have been more realistic with the budget and their box office expectations

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Wait I'm confused. They think it can do 45-50M off of a $4M (incl previews) Wednesday? I know moviegoing blows up this time of year but 45-50M?!

To get a 50m six day it would really have to blow up on Christmas day and the Day after. Deadline's rational seems to be that the core audience (females) doesn't come until then too busy shopping during the week. However, 30-35m six day is doable, which is what Sony was tracking it to do anyway.

I know everyone is throwing Dragon Tattoo out there because we have so little stats to go on, but I don't think Dragon Tattoo is really the best comparison for Passengers because that was a dark book adaptation that was partially fan driven. This is a space sci-fi romance, it couldn't be more different. 

9 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Given how dark Dragon Tattoo was, I don't know if it's an accurate film to compare with Passengers. Plus, one is rated R and the other is PG-13. 

Passengers is more GA-friendly, so it could hold better than Dragon Tattoo. No one really knows how frontloaded it'll be at this point. 

This time of year, most everything holds well, so a $15-18 million OW could still lead to a $100-120 million DOM total. Obviously Sony expected $150-225 million DOM like The Martian and interstellar, but perhaps they should have been more realistic with the budget and their box office expectations

Tough to keep the budget down when the two lead actors are $32 million by themselves. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Tough to keep the budget down when the two lead actors are $32 million by themselves. 

True...granted, that WAS the selling point for this movie.  As intriguing the concept for this movie is...I have to say...had (or if?  I haven't seen) it delivers on the base concept...it's really not something that's gonna sell massively to the mainstream on its own.  Not if they deliver how I would've wanted it to. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Uh...more like on track for 550-575.

Yeah, with 450M after NY , it has a shot at 600M. SW7 made 250M + after NY, RO would need 60% of SW7. Long shot but it's not completely off the table either. Right now, my guess is 545-550M finish but potential is there for a lot more.

• Like 3