Alli

Thursday numbers (Asgard) R1 16.9,Sing 9.8,Pass 3.1, Ass 2.8 (pg6)

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Christmas is perhaps the biggest single day for movies in North America.

I would argue Boxing Day is bigger here in Canada based. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would argue Boxing Day is bigger here in Canada based. 

It's interesting....I looked back at the last 5 years.  Last year Boxing Day was bigger by 5%.  Every other year, Christmas Day is bigger.  July 6th was the biggest day in 2014.

Point is CD and BD are close.....will be interesting to see how it plays out this year.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Christmas is one of the biggest box office days of the year dude. I am totally with you on a personal level, I have only ever seen a movie on X-Mas day one time and that was when I was single, but we are not everyone. Clearly, people are going, because every year X-Mas day is a BIG day for moviegoing. It is not at all a black hole haha that's Christmas Eve :P

Exactly what @Lordmandeep said, though. If it can make $16M on a random Thursday or $17.5M on a random Monday after release, then yes, it can make well more than that on Christmas Day when it's a day off for literally everyone :P

14 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

:shy:

oops!

My first year here over Christmas!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Not... really?

Like for the past couple years it's been one of the bigger days of the year in terms of top 10 gross,(4th last year, 2nd in 2014), but if you look prior to 2014, that's not the case.

It was the 18th biggest aggregate day in 2013

13th biggest in 2012

27th biggest in 2011, which had the same calendar configuration

37th biggest in 2010

It was 4th biggest in '08 and '09, 15th in '07, 20th in '06, and 43rd in '05... again, same calendar configuration.

It'll probably be on the higher end this year, but it's likely that the 26th will be bigger. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I apologize. 

Its ONE of the biggest days of the year.

Yeah, usually it's top 10% of all days. And I could see a case for it hitting top 10 for the forseeable future, because of Star Wars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alli said:

There’s no stopping “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” at the domestic box office with the Disney-Lucasfilm tentpole jumping 10% to an estimated $16.5 million on Thursday, its seventh day of release.

In a show of the staying power of “Rogue One,” the newcomers all took a hit on Thursday with “Sing” sliding 18% to an estimated $9 million, “Passengers” falling 28% to $3 million, and “Assassin’s Creed” tumbling 46% to $2.5 million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-rogue-one-sing-passengers-assassins-creed-2-1201947585/

RO  16.5

Sing 9

Passengers 3

AC  2.5

That would be fantastic increase for RO, right in line with Sherlock Holmes. 90-95M 4 days is very likely, now.

• Like 1