FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

I'm really interested in how Wonder Woman and Justice League will perform next year. I really hope they're better received and make a lot of money because for one I personally liked all DCEU movies so far (I'm weird, I know) and secondly I want Marvel to get some serious competition. And not because I don't like Marvel (I'm a big fan of theirs), but because competition is always good for the overall product IMO.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

"But only because I'd love to see one reach more I do not 'wish' for another one to do less. Not even films I strongly disliked." My question is SW's big box office affects the potential of other films. See the OW of this weekend's releases... I want this cash grab give space for new movies.

There are studies that proof:

big films, films liked by GA creates more BO for other films too.

spoiler tags for length

Spoiler

partly direct (e.g. per sold out alternatives' partly for the future:

they do not reach a lot of the GA anymore, so the trailers seen in a cinema (more impact then at home in between tons of other stuff, and in a better technical quality,...) help a lot for the future.

= that study is done regularly by the MPAA, including taking into account what cinema owners have to say.

Like what good is it to have a lot of promo material, in the cinemas if no one / not enough see it

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

See the RT scores for some other movies opening this weekend.  Also see how well some of the award contenders opened and or expanded.

Rogue opened to $90m+ less than SW7, that did not result in $90m+ more business that w/e for other films.  

that

9 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Do you know the mean of a cash grab? 

"When movie studios produce unnecessary and often poor quality sequels in order to obtain more money."

" n. inf. an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort."

How is Arrival a cash grab????? 

If SW R1 would be a cash grab in the meaning you use, than they would not have risked the genre change to a war movie. Or the exclusion of a 'complete' age-group.
There are other reasons, why it was rather a bit risky (if aiming for a really high one time result, no matter if it will hurt future releases, like pure cash grabbing people would do),

in spoiler tags for length

Spoiler

but we are not allowed to name them here for spoiler reasons.

A company who wants to 'milk' a franchise for a lot of years will do a lot to avoid the usual cash grab variation like you seem to 'rank' the film to.

Like a film was successful, but is not based on a multi-book series or... and they do another one in the hope to repeat a success with less than creative means.

The acquisition was immense, the effort (inclusive time, money, involved talents, ...) was not of little effort. You might want to read up on some details, before judging it in this way? The effort they took was, what I think was over the average of what is usual in the film making industry. Not saying the highest ever taking, just over the average (I have no 'number for that)

In general:

to compare in those words a low budget and a big budget (that HAS to convince a lot more people out of the GA based on the budget) seems a bit strange to me in general, especially as the general reactions (I speak about average ratings of audience, reviewers,...) does not support your cash grab formulation neither IMHO.

Have fun!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

If Episode VIII and IX perform as well as I think they will, by the end of the decade we could have three SW movies in the Top Five biggest DOM grossers. :o

Or top 3 if VIII and IX outgross Avatar. Drop from 936.6M to 761M (minimum to beat Avatar) is reasonable but I think both movies could hold way better than that. Have really high hopes for VIII. Also Top 4 worldwide. Avatar seems unreachable but VIII and IX should outgross JW

15 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

If Episode VIII and IX perform as well as I think they will, by the end of the decade we could have three SW movies in the Top Five biggest DOM grossers. :o

Or top 3 if VIII and IX outgross Avatar. Drop from 936.6M to 761M (minimum to beat Avatar) is reasonable but I think both movies could hold way better than that. Have really high hopes for VIII. Also Top 4 worldwide. Avatar seems unreachable but VIII and IX should outgross JW

17 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I'd argue that Rogue One was not done with little effort. With all the reshoots and rewrites and all that. Seems the exact opposite of little effort.

15 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Youre the one who is mistsken. 

About a great many things.

lol. nailed

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I do think that that is a distant possibility as well, but personally I think it could look like this by early 2020.

1. TFA

2. Episode IX

3. Avatar

4. Episode VIII

5. Titanic

I think Episode VIII will fall below Avatar, but who knows.

• Like 1