Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti and The Panda Present: THE FIFTH ANNUAL BOFFY AWARDS! La La Land, Arrival, and Zootopia Lead the Pack!

I guess That One Guy is a salty bitch then. *ba-tum-tiss*

BEST ACTRESS

The nominees are...

AMY ADAMS

Arrival

KATE BECKINSDALE

Love & Friendship

ISABELLE HUPPERT

Elle

TARAJI P HENSON

Hidden Figures

EMMA STONE

La La Land

Yes, my font/caps/colors are inconsistent. Deal with it. The BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

BEST ACTRESS

The nominees are...

AMY ADAMS

Arrival

KATE BECKINSDALE

Love & Friendship

ISABELLE HUPPERT

Elle

TARAJI P HENSON

Love & Friendship

EMMA STONE

La La Land

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah. The Oscars can suck the BOFFY's dick

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 minute ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

BEST ACTRESS

The nominees are...

AMY ADAMS

Arrival

KATE BECKINSDALE

Love & Friendship

ISABELLE HUPPERT

Elle

TARAJI P HENSON

Love & Friendship

EMMA STONE

La La Land

Hide contents

Oh, thank God. 

• Like 1

One last write-up!

HACKSAW RIDGE

Directed by Mel Gibson

Lionsgate/Summit

share-img.jpg

Hacksaw Ridge is riveting, bold, emotional, graphic, and one of the best films ever to grace the screen.

After a 10 year Hiatus from directing after being shamed by HollywoodMel Gibson's first directorial film since "Apocalypto" goes beyond what you would call a comeback.

Hacksaw Ridge tells the true story of Desmond Doss, a military medic, who is also a conscientious objector, who faces persecution for his refusal to hold a gun. Hacksaw Ridge tells this incredible true story how Desmond Dos went on to became one of the most heroic men that ever lived saving countless lives on the battlefield. 

This movie is beautiful to look at, but in the worst and best ways, as far as war films go it is one of the most realistic and gruesome films I've ever seen, not shying away from showing severed limbs after an explosion or maggot intestines lying on a blood covered battleground. The way Hacksaw Ridge is filmed, while certainly dramatic, perfectly captures the tone, and showcases the excellent camera work at hand. there are some slow motion shots, but they are not gratuitous and are implored only enhance the experience of the film. During the action I was tense and on the edge of my seat, it perfectly portrayed the horror of war. and we can think Mel Gibson and his master vision for that.

As for the acting, everyone is fantastic, Andrew Garfield embodies the character of Desmond, with the same convict that man he's playing has, he is such an amazingly likable character its kind of hard not to buy it and if by the end you are not cheering for him, you have no soul. But not only Garfield was great, Hugo Weaving gives one of the best performances of his career as a damaged war vet, who while not the most likable character, you can't hate him, because of the layers to the character, much of which is in weavings expert performance. Teresa Palmer is excellent as Desmond's love interest. freaking Vince Vaughn gives the performance of his career. 
Sam Worthington is great.

But really at the heart of this movie is it's incredibly almost unbelievable true story of Desmond Doss, who just wanted to serve his country while staying true to his own convictions. I gotta say in a day in age where Christianity and Christian values are almost completely ignored by the media, even dammed. it is refreshing to see a film standing up for these values that everyone seems so eager to forget. 

A powerful, important film that everyone should see. It is easily one of the best war films ever made and was easily my favorite film of 2016.. (Until La La Land came into my life and completely and utterly destroyed me anyways). A+ films a rarity among films. 

-Kalo

desmond-doss-wife.jpg?w=2000&h=1500

Mel Gibson earned his right to direct back with this one.  Not a fan of the man, but the art he made with this was gorgeous.  It was very moving, the performances were solid, Andrew Garfield wasn't recognizable.  

The action was non-stop, shot brilliantly, and had a purpose.  The first act was fairly conventional (and felt a bit rushed, as if he had to cut some out to meet a time) but still well-done.  But when it hits the second act, it gets gut-wrenching, and then leaves you inspired.

It's sad the mediocre movie about man bragging about sniping people is going to be the war movie remembered from this decade and not the one about a medic who saved people and was humble about it.

-The Panda

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

can tell there's a lot of hacksaw ridge support here from that second write-up. stops just short of "the film is lit competently" and andrew garfield "unrecognisable"? he doesn't change his look or acting style at all. you must be bad with faces.

There was a Hacksaw Ridge write up missing, so for missing write-ups we're filling them in with reviews from the RTM forum.

• Like 1