FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

Just now, ohmigod2005 said:

I promise to be a functioning member of society if everyone just calms the fuck down and I won't create any more sockpuppets because lol too many emails, tbh

A chance at redemption would surely be given if the folk here were truly Jedis, letting vengeance and hatred take over them is the way of the sith.

ksEz8iE.jpg

I welcome a second chance with my arms open.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I apreciate your opinion. Just a quick question though; are you solely talking about the films? Have you read the Potter books?

I read Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, that's it though.  I was much more invested in the movies than the books tbh

I'm in a bit of a mood tonight, so here goes it.

Everyone is entitled to like whatever films they like.  You don't have to agree with them, that's why there are no right and wrong when it comes to what you like.  I loved Passengers, @Grand Moff Tele thinks it the worst of the year.  I love Twilight, don't care for Potter.  Are my opinions any more right or wrong than the next persons?  Nope.  We like what we like.  To me, FB is horrible.  It's boring, uninteresting and I have no idea why others find it to be terrific.  But then again, I'm not a Potter fan.  I understand that the Potter loonies love it and so for them, not me, it's a moving and wonderful film that gives them pleasure.  For me SW is one of if not the very best franchise of films ever created.  I like the Indy's and the early Friday the 13ths more or the same.  But again, is my taste in film any BETTER than the Potter loonies?  Nope, just different.

There's absolutely nothing to gain to come in here and insult the fans of one film franchise while trying to bestow yours with some kind of virtue.  Potter films are deep and filled with metaphor any more than SW is.  They are both series of films that has a massive fanbase.  Why must you try to invalidate one to justify the other?  SW is not infantile and it's not made to just sell toys.  Potter isn't any better or any worse.  It has its fans.  I'm not one of them but then again, I don't need to be.  

Trying to shit all over one series just because you love something different, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT SEEMS YOU ARE A BANNED POSTER, is not the smartest way to make yourself known.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Everyone is entitled to like whatever films they like.  You don't have to agree with them, that's why there are no right and wrong when it comes to what you like.  I loved Passengers, @Grand Moff Tele thinks it the worst of the year.  I love Twilight, don't care for Potter.  Are my opinions any more right or wrong than the next persons?  Nope.  We like what we like.  To me, FB is horrible.  It's boring, uninteresting and I have no idea why others find it to be terrific.  But then again, I'm not a Potter fan.  I understand that the Potter loonies love it and so for them, not me, it's a moving and wonderful film that gives them pleasure.  For me SW is one of if not the very best franchise of films ever created.  I like the Indy's and the early Friday the 13ths more or the same.  But again, is my taste in film any BETTER than the Potter loonies?  Nope, just different.

There's absolutely nothing to gain to come in here and insult the fans of one film franchise while trying to bestow yours with some kind of virtue.  Potter films are deep and filled with metaphor any more than SW is.  They are both series of films that has a massive fanbase.  Why must you try to invalidate one to justify the other?  SW is not infantile and it's not made to just sell toys.  Potter isn't any better or any worse.  It has its fans.  I'm not one of them but then again, I don't need to be.  

Trying to shit all over one series just because you love something different, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT SEEMS YOU ARE A BANNED POSTER, is not the smartest way to make yourself known.

But it is deeper, for the reasons I already listed 

2 minutes ago, ohmigod2005 said:

Potter is deep though, and was written to help deal with loss based on Rowling's experiences with the death of her mother, poverty, depression, and suicidal thoughts. 

Rowling built her world out of that type of dark depth, and that's not something I can say of Star Wars or Marvel

If the writer is dealing with a tragic past during writing a film/book, that doesn't make it any more or less deep.  If Michael Bay were dealing with Rowling's same thoughts she was dealing with while he was making Transformers: Age of Extinction, would it have been deep?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ohmigod2005 said:

I promise to be a functioning member of society if everyone just calms the fuck down and I won't create any more sockpuppets because lol too many emails, tbh

While trolling was fun, ohmigod2005 should have one last chance.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I read Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, that's it though.  I was much more invested in the movies than the books tbh

Well, I think that If you had read all the books you may change opinion. Movies are horrible IMO compared to the books. Order of the Phoenix was incredible book for example while the movie admittedly sucked.

• Like 1

Potter is deep though, and was written to help deal with loss based on Rowling's experiences with the death of her mother, poverty, depression, and suicidal thoughts. 

Rowling built her world out of that type of dark depth, and that's not something I can say of Star Wars or Marvel

Who are you to judge who is superior between Rowling, Lucas an Stan Lee based on their mindset and circumstances during the time they wrote and created their characters and stories? I admire Rowling greatly because of what she went through before her Harry Potter success but it I also admire Lucas and Lee just as much. All of them created characters and worlds that will live on as some of the best in storytelling history.

Oh right, I forgot, this was supposed to be a competition, right? 

• Like 6

But it is deeper, for the reasons I already listed 

Things like this aren't objective. Someone could easily write-up a list of reasons why Star Wars is deeper than Potter. And neither of you would be wrong.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

However the MCU was around for 8 years while the Potter franchise has been around for 16 years. Both are still impressive though.

Hence the inflation and higher ticket prices for MCU.

Not a fan of either, but just felt i needed to say this.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well, I think that If you had read all the books you may change opinion. Movies are horrible IMO compared to the books. Order of the Phoenix was incredible book for example while the movie admittedly sucked.

I do know a lot about the books and movie trivia though.  I was a massive Harry Potter fan when I was a lot younger.  I still like it but I have grown out of my love for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ohmigod2005 said:

How do you know what SW was built out of?  And how can you possibly know what Marvel was built out of?  I am not the biggest comic book loonie here but how do you know Stan Lee didn't create Iron Man out of some kind of regret or loss he was dealing with?  And since when does being deep have anything to do with how good a film is?  Home Alone has all the right Christmas beats but it's as popular as it is because people step on tacks and get blow torches to the head.  Films don't have to have some kind of metaphoric subtext to them for people to love them.

And here's the thing about Potter.....the villain is the biggest let down in the history of villains, even Ben Kingsley's so called villain in IM3 was more fearsome.  All Voldemort did is take 7 books and 8 movies to appear and then does nothing but loses to Potter.  What a joke.  

See.....it's easy to poke holes in films you don't like. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

Things like this aren't objective. Someone could easily write-up a list of reasons why Star Wars is deeper than Potter. And neither of you would be wrong.

Star Wars and Harry Potter are both classic, exciting tales of good vs evil. I see them as pretty equal in my mind, HP being newer an more popular in Britain, while Star Wars is older, has more history - and a richer universe so far - and is more popular in North America.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Having your opinion is one thing. But being objective is another. I prefer any Potter movie compared to let's say The Godfather. Will I say that Potter films were better than the Godfather though? No. Apart from your subjective opinion you can judge a movie objectively. I can easily say that I didn't enjoy a movie that was actually good. Opinion is based on taste.