FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I can't ban you.  Oh no, I haven't.  I just support people banning you.  I'm pretty sure the mods/admins who looked at your posts, saw your posts, and determined that they weren't appropriate for these forums and your behavior isn't tolerated here know what the fuck they're doing.

Considering Dcasey just came blazing onto this thread, almost outright attacking someone for stating an opinion on Fantastic Beasts, this was never a civil debate from the start.

The mods ban me per the advice of people like you. The only reason the banning persisted was because 1) I never followed up, and 2) I created sockpuppets, which was wrong, but ugh, it's the Internet, y know

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

MCU has 14 films while Potter has 9. Thank you :) .

However the MCU was around for 8 years while the Potter franchise has been around for 16 years. Both are still impressive though.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I can't ban you.  Oh no, I haven't.  I just support people banning you.  I'm pretty sure the mods/admins who looked at your posts, saw your posts, and determined that they weren't appropriate for these forums and your behavior isn't tolerated here know what the fuck they're doing.

Considering Dcasey just came blazing onto this thread, almost outright attacking someone for stating an opinion on Fantastic Beasts, this was never a civil debate from the start.

Well I had no idea who Dcasey was but I found that comment having intresting parts and I didn't really find anything offensive (I may have missed something). Anyway, I still think that the argument that was presented (Potter being deeper than Marvel) was right (at least in my opinion) and I saw noone really trying to counter-argue on that logically..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

However the MCU was around for 8 years while the Potter franchise has been around for 16 years. Both are still impressive though.

Currently, Harry Potter's average per-film is higher than Marvel's which feels at least to me that the Harry Potter series was all in all, more successful than Marvel films.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't fcking givve a shit who this is but the point that Harry Potter is deeper than Marvel stands. Does anyone that disagree wishes to debate with me on this?

I think both have really rich source material, which are really hard to compare given the mediums they're in. As for the films themselves, it's still hard to compare them IMO. They've both done different things and both have really large fan bases that like going for each others necks :ph34r:. As with all things like this, it's totally subjective what you like more. For me, I've read a lot of comics growing up so I prefer Marvel films. A lot of people grew up reading the Harry Potter series and obviously love those films.

• Like 3

Well I had no idea who Dcasey was but I found that comment having intresting parts and I didn't really find anything offensive (I may have missed something). Anyway, I still think that the argument that was presented (Potter being deeper than Marvel) was right (at least in my opinion) and I saw noone really trying to counter-argue on that logically..

I think neither of them are very deep.  I think they're both entertaining franchises with their own moments of levity, but nothing that really stands out.  Both of them have their highs (Winter Soldier/Deathly Hallows Part 2) and their lows (Thor/Order of the Phoenix).

• Like 2

Just now, AABATTERY said:

I think both have really rich source material, which are really hard to compare given the mediums they're in. As for the films themselves, it's still hard to compare them IMO. They've both done different things and both have really large fan bases that like going for each others necks :ph34r:. As with all things like this, it's totally subjective what you like more. For me, I've read a lot of comics growing up so I prefer Marvel films. A lot of people grew up reading the Harry Potter series and obviously love those films.

I apreciate that you provided some good arguments without being overwhelmed by emotions :)

• Like 1

Currently, Harry Potter's average per-film is higher than Marvel's which feels at least to me that the Harry Potter series was all in all, more successful than Marvel films.

Just happy that both of some of my favorite franchises are doing well.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I think neither of them are very deep.  I think they're both entertaining franchises with their own moments of levity, but nothing that really stands out.  Both of them have their highs (Winter Soldier/Deathly Hallows Part 2) and their lows (Thor/Order of the Phoenix).

I apreciate your opinion. Just a quick question though; are you solely talking about the films? Have you read the Potter books?

1 minute ago, ohmigod2005 said:

They don't? But that's how the SW and Marvel fanboys act. 

Not even close to true, on this site in particular.  There are cases of extremism, but for the most part, the Marvel/SW fans here are able to express their fanboyism without much aggressiveness in their posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Potter is deep though, and was written to help deal with loss based on Rowling's experiences with the death of her mother, poverty, depression, and suicidal thoughts. 

Rowling built her world out of that type of dark depth, and that's not something I can say of Star Wars or Marvel

3 minutes ago, ohmigod2005 said:

I promise to be a functioning member of society if everyone just calms the fuck down and I won't create any more sockpuppets because lol too many emails, tbh

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As a person who is an Admistrator on another forum (and one which gets a fair amount of traffic) a piece of free advice:

The way to be let back into a forum:  Apologize privately via email  (or other methods) for things you did wrong and promise to behave in the future.

The way NOT to be let back into a forum: Creates lots of multiple accounts, flaming any one who disagrees with you while insulting the people who run the forum.

Contrition goes a long way; sneaking back in and flaming others?  Not so much.

Bolded and underlined to highlight advice from someone who actually helps run another forum.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1