Mockingjay Raphael

Horror 2017

@Boxofficerules  I also watched Better Watch Out today. While the plot twist was indeed awesome and unexpected, I feel that the rest of the movie wasn’t that good. The main kid didn’t have ability to pull that kind of performance like the kids from Goodnight, Mommy. The deaths were too clean for this kind of movie, and lacked of creativity, and the writing was sexist at several moments. I would say that it is Don’t Breathe without the claustrophobic atmosphere, a fine but forgettable movie. B-

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

looks like I am seeing a triple feature at the drive in tonight.  They are showing Rear Window, Psycho, and the original Friday the 13th all back to back :D 

This is ridiculous. Why are you going to watch these movies (that you probably already watched) instead of a brand new Horror, that is also the last event for the genre this year? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

just saying, am i the only who never see Get Out as horror film?? To me it's more like thriller as no supernatural element involved....

The biggest problem when characterizing horror movies is that people have this wrong assumption that the genre rely on jump scares, when in fact the main basis of the genre is to use mundane problems to tell a scary story through images, behind every monster of the genre, there is an allegory about the problems of society, Get Out, is, in fact, Horror in its purest form, metaphoric Horror, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Yup, Happy Death Day is another massive hit for Blumhouse. Anywhere between 60-75M is where I expect it to finish, and that is amazing for a 5M budgeted film. Jigsaw should do okay too. Leatherface is gonna do pretty much nothing, though. Polaroid will probably not even be released, in the wake of the Weinstein debacle.

If I were to make predictions:

- Jigsaw - 45-50M

- Polaroid (if released) - 15-20M

- Leatherface - 8M

As far as the 2018 horrors being released:

- Insidious: The Last Key - 40M

- God Particle - 70-75M

- Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built - 3M

- Strangers: Prey At Night - 20-25M

- The New Mutants - 155-160M

- Slender Man - 35-40M

- The Purge: The Island - 75-80M