terrestrial

Wednesday 4 Jan SW R1 4.237 | Sing 3.61 | Pass. 1.747 | LLL 1.437 | Moana 1.39 | WhyHim? 1.377 | Ass.Creed .966 | Fences .948 | FB .505

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

I think why all got our answer to our "wait,what??" question.

There seem a few who seem more or less only to follow, respect, or even really to 'see' (~ understand) their fandom (franchise, director,... whatever :wub: ). Or based on their hate against.... :rant:

I guess you can see why not a lot here seem to agree with most of their/such post-about-....-cases.

I gave up on the question: wait... what!?!? :mouthdropped:     :bash:  = now I either :rolleyes: or ignore. 

How was the weather yesterday in dom? What do they say for the weekend, still as bad as ~ feared?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

DOM::OS (%) ordered by OS

Fox 33.3::66.7

WB 35.8::64.2

Disney 37.7::62.3

Universal 42.4::57.6

Sony 43.2::56.8

Paramount 51::49

Was just also looking at that too :)

I think WB's plus is something not a lot gets mentioned about in the articles or posts here that is really worthy getting pointed out .

Universal had last year 'their year', this year not so much, as such I guess it is not surprising to see the drop

And...

Maybe adding the $ amount too, or film counts in OS (not filmed by any of them, only them being the distributors...)

Every way to look at those aspects gets another ranking row in the matching chart, for me very interesting.

• Like 3

I'd be more impressed if Disney actually created its own mega-franchises rather than buying existing ones. It's like 'congratulations, you had enough money to purchase wildly popular intellectual property and make it slightly more popular.'

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'd be more impressed if Disney actually created its own mega-franchises rather than buying existing ones. It's like 'congratulations, you had enough money to purchase wildly popular intellectual property and make it slightly more popular.'

I would agree, I'm more of a WB fan, but it's not like DC comics and the Wizarding World are WB creations...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

I would agree, I'm more of a WB fan, but it's not like DC comics and the Wizarding World are WB creations...

No, but I think in that instance they had them for so long and crafted them in their own image you can kind of say 'fair enough'.

(Though you wouldn't say 'fair enough' in DCU's case, because they're fucking it up big time.)

49 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

There seem a few who seem more or less only to follow, respect, or even really to 'see' (~ understand) their fandom (franchise, director,... whatever :wub: ). Or based on their hate against.... :rant:

I guess you can see why not a lot here seem to agree with most of their/such post-about-....-cases.

I gave up on the question: wait... what!?!? :mouthdropped:     :bash:  = now I either :rolleyes: or ignore. 

How was the weather yesterday in dom? What do they say for the weekend, still as bad as ~ feared?

I hope the lack of further reaction to this person's posting is due to rolling of eyes or/and ignorance and not agreement.

On the related subject, I would just love it if Disney had the cojones to go the distance and build on the clear gay undertone of the Finn/Poe relationship (which has been admitted by Oscar Isaac himself). It would be interesting, very interesting..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

But that's how business grows.   Any one of these other studios could have bought Marvel or Pixar.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

No, but I think in that instance they had them for so long and crafted them in their own image you can kind of say 'fair enough'.

(Though you wouldn't say 'fair enough' in DCU's case, because they're fucking it up big time.)

Completely agree with this! On the other hand wouldn't "Disney Princess Films" count as a franchise.

There aren't many franchises now which ain't based on books or comics and it would be great to see something new.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But that's how business grows.   Any one of these other studios could have bought Marvel or Pixar.

I think he will agree with you there, he is simply saying it would be more impressive.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I hope the lack of further reaction to this person's posting is due to rolling of eyes or/and ignorance and not agreement.

Be me: he is on ignore, sadly I can't miss at least some of his posts per quotes of others.

For the moment I can not remember about other ones posting history who would really agree to that kind of posts beside maybe one who is banned for the moment (might depend on details if yes or no).

I think a very few here do not like genres in general, he named films as part of (I so hope this is understandable, difficult to say in a foreign language), so there might be some 'I didn't like it too' or... but I doubt a general agreement.

19 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Fair enough.

50 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Feel like this chart is missing production cost

Just 2016 releases. Without 2015 releases that grossed money in 2016 and no re-releases or limited release.

Disney: 1.78 billion dollars. X4 Every dollar invested
Warner Bros.: 1.29 billion dollars. X4 Every dollar invested
Fox: 1.2 billion dollars. X3.75 Every dollar invested
Paramount: 916 million dollars. X1.8 Every dollar invested
Sony: 860 million dollars. X2.4 Every dollar invested
Universal: 835 million dollars. X3.9 Every dollar invested

Edited by YSLDC
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, elcaballero said:

I don't think so, but it will be close. Goblet of Fire's holds from here on out would get it over $236m, but DH1's holds would get it to $234.8m. The theater count hurts, but FB has had better PTAs than Goblet of Fire and DH1 this past week. 

Thanks for the response! Just a question; but DH2 and GoF had more screens at the same point right? Wouldn't this be a problem?

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

I won't pretend to know much about studio finances, but I assume Disney already had far more capital than its rivals to make such purchases. And besides, if WB or Fox had bought Star Wars and Marvel I wouldn't suddenly be impressed that of course they're now making all the money in the world.

Easier said than done. It is win-win. Without Disney MCU would not be as popular, same goes with SW (in my opinion).
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I hated everything about Moonlight from the slow pacing and pointless plot to the pandering to social justice warriors. It truly was the worst of the worst when it comes to liberal Hollywood agenda films. Great, it's ok to be a gay black drug dealer - glad I had Moonlight to let me know that. It's ok to be gay in any situation! We get it. There was no character development because we are watching a dude in the ghetto with drug dealer and drug user influences grow up to also become... a drug dealer. Wow shocker! There's a place where people can go watch dudes jerk each other off without watching Moonlight and if I wanted to see that, I would go search for it. I, however, have no desire to see anyone guy or girl jerking each other off in a feature film. Just not my cup of tea! That's a perfect recipe for zero stars on my scale. 

The ignorance is real. Newsflash: gay, black people exist and perhaps would like to see a movie reflecting their life for once. Why does that have to be part of a liberal 'agenda'? There was nothing preachy about Moonlight. Nothing. And did you miss the part where he stares at the door in the diner deciding whether to run back to his life of drug dealing and then decides to stay anyway? Not sure if you need everything spelt out for you but that makes it pretty obvious that his drug dealing will stop. As for the handjob, not sure how you cope seeing movies in general as most have sex scenes that are far more intense than Moonlight's. Again, sex is a part of life which is why it's reflected in films about character's lives.

Again, I don't care if you dislike the movie. That's your right. But your reasoning is completely nonsensical beyond the 'slow pace' complaint.

Edited by fnitte
  • Like 8

HLCDQvj.png

The majority of highest grossing film franchises are based on known sources, or you could say unoriginal.

Tiers go like this:

Original

The Fast and The Furious

Sws Episode 4-6 and a lesser extent 1-3, because 1-3 based on almost 20 year old franchise.

Original in public eye, based on source not so known

Shrek (Based on book, chart is wrong)

Jurassic Park

Pirates of the Caribbean (Could be an Orginal Franchise only quick google searched)

Unoriginal, based on well known source

All the Comic Book Franchises Listed (Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, MCU, DC, ETC)

James Bond

Sws Episode 7 and R1

Middle Earth

J.K Rowling Wizard World

Hunger Games

Twilight

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3