WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

has now entered all-time domestic Top10. Sits at #8 bumping down in the process.

No UNDERWORLD film had ever debuted with less than $20M...until BLOOD WARS. The 5th film of the franchise hit just $13.1M this weekend.

3 minutes ago

PASSENGERS makes an est. $8.8M weekend, down 45.5%, for $80.89M total through 3 weekends.

Martin Scorsese's SILENCE expanded into 51 theaters w/ $480k--$9,412k per. Not too shabby for a nearly 3 hour film.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No wonder that "depressing" movies don't do well recently. People are becoming more and more shallow. They try to avoid thinking at any cost.

or are in urgent need for something uplifting based on whatever happened in their live.

Please do not generalize bias

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No wonder that "depressing" movies don't do well recently. People are becoming more and more shallow. They try to avoid thinking at any cost.

It's more likely that people prefer upbeat movies. If they wanted downbeat movies then they would just watch the news or open a history book.

It's always been that way

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Silence is financed by independent financiers and then sold to distributors so Paramount acquired it for x amount of money for domestic and various local distributors worldwide also acquire it for x amount of money which means the budget is already recouped so Paramount won't losing much money other than P&A, award campaign costs etc but that's a risk they took when they acquired it, same with Arrival. 

So the producers charged Paramount and the overseas distributors a combined $50m for the rights to distribute? You are 100% sure this is what they charged for distribution rights? And if Paramount paid a significant chunk of $50m for the right to distribute, then paid a bunch for marketing and awards campaigning...Paramount is losing their ass on this thing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is this going to catch Doctor Strange domestically? It started out under but gained ground and beat the crap out of Strange WW and OS. I have a feeling that Strange started out more promising than how it finished. It just petered out and nobody really talks about it anymore either.

31M OW in China is terrible for Rogue One. Star wars rejection is complete over there.

Beasts is proving immense OS, and OK at home. 

I have been repeating this ad nauseam, but Star Wars is just performing very poorly in both East Asia (a massive and still growing market) as well as Lat-Am (another very big and growing market) I think that this was the reason behind the casting of Yen, Jiang and Luna, but still it did not make any discernible difference. At least LucasFilm should stop pandering so pathetically. 

• Like 3

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM makes an est. $5.6M overseas weekend, don 36.4%, for a $565.7M overseas /...

COLLATERAL BEAUTY makes an est. $6.6M overseas weekend, up 40.4%, for a $29.5M overseas / $59.4M global total.

A24's 20TH CENTURY WOMEN continued to play strong, expanding into 10 theaters w/ $142k, $14,824 per.

• Like 2

LTD release: $480k wknd, $9k avg from 51 thtrs, $143k/$14k avg from 10, $105k/$15k avg from 7.

PASSENGERS delivered $8.8M this weekend (-46%), $80M in North America and $185M worldwide. China debuts next weekend.

• Like 4

Remember last year when movies like The 5th Wave, Dirty Grandpa, and The Boy all had excellent holds cause of the whether? Now imagine what wonders it can play for an actually well-liked film such as Hidden Figures...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is this going to catch Doctor Strange domestically? It started out under but gained ground and beat the crap out of Strange WW and OS. I have a feeling that Strange started out more promising than how it finished. It just petered out and nobody really talks about it anymore either.

31M OW in China is terrible for Rogue One. Star wars rejection is complete over there.

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

How long before Moana fans go on a suicide watch when Sing overtakes it domestically? Next week? :lol:

iseebitterpeople.jpg?w=558

• Like 3

Just now, Bishop54 said:

The weather probably cost most popular holdovers and new releases a couple million bucks. Would people say that is accurate?

Sure. Holds should be pretty good next weekend (especially being a 4-day holiday), even though 5 new releases opening in 2,000+ theaters is sure to cause some drastic theater drops.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

or are in urgent need for something uplifting based on whatever happened in their live.

Please do not generalize bias

What I said is not only about depressing movies. Most people try to avoid movies with food for thought that's not something new but it's something that is increasing. And no I don't agree with your argument regarding what's happening in their lives. The problems of the majority of the modern civilized world are luxury problems. I would understand that If we were talking about Afrrica.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Live by Night is going to bomb hard. 

Agreed.  It's ranked lower on IMDB than A Monster Calls in terms of interest, it Audience Rating is low on RT (61%) and it's Want To See numbers aren't that good especially for a movie out for three weeks already.  Might do sub Runner Runner numbers - though it has the Holiday as a bit of a buffer.

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

Beasts is proving immense OS, and OK at home. 

I have been repeating this ad nauseam, but Star Wars is just performing very poorly in both East Asia (a massive and still growing market) as well as Lat-Am (another very big and growing market) I think that this was the reason behind the casting of Yen, Jiang and Luna, but still it did not make any discernible difference. At least LucasFilm should stop pandering so pathetically. 

They didn't "pander so pathetically". It's obvious that they hoped that it would have a positive influence, but they hardly chose actors whose only noticeable feature was that they came from a certain country. All actors that were chosen have proven to be good if not great actors, and that is that all really matters. The movie wouldn't have been one bit better if those roles had been played by other actors.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

What I said is not only about depressing movies. Most people try to avoid movies with food for thought that's not something new but it's something that is increasing. And no I don't agree with your argument regarding what's happening in their lives. The problems of the majority of the modern civilized world are luxury problems. I would understand that If we were talking about Afrrica.

so when someone just lost their job, is ill, their kids are ill... does not count if they do not live in Africa?

GRRRRRR

• Like 8

Weekend Domestic Chart for January 6th, 2017

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Walt Disney $21,972,000 -56% 4,157 $5,286   $477,273,354 24
2 (17) Hidden Figures 20th Century Fox $21,800,000 +2,440% 2,471 $8,822   $24,754,178 15
3 (2) Sing Universal $19,573,670 -54% 3,955 $4,949   $213,373,315 19
- (5) Why Him? 20th Century Fox $6,500,000 -35% 2,904 $2,238   $48,559,553 17
- (8) Assassin’s Creed 20th Century Fox $3,800,000 -56% 2,642 $1,438   $49,505,783 19
- (13) Lion Weinstein Co. $2,021,000 -11% 600 $3,368   $9,813,719 45
- (15) Jackie Fox Searchlight $997,000 -36% 353 $2,824   $9,193,551 38
- (18) Trolls 20th Century Fox $430,000 -36% 332 $1,295   $151,277,528 66
  • Like 2