DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Moonlight is one of the worst films of the year.  Didn't care about any character.  In fact, this is a film that tells you that you are supposed to care about people because they are gay.  There was nothing organic about it.  There's long stretches of the film where nothing happens, in fact, that's about 50% of the movie.  I kept waiting for something poignant to happen, something compelling to take my breath away.  What I got was the ultimate Oscar bait movie that tells you it's important and then like sheep, everyone in the academy agrees and nominates it.  No way half the members saw this and no way they actually give a shit.  This is basically to make up for their Oscar so white debacle from last year.  

Horrible.

LMAOOOOOO

• Like 1

I certainly hope BO.com knows something we don't. It would be awesome to see  Rogue One cruise by $550M!

In all seriousness, I don't know where they get that from. I mean, maybe they just feel like the legs from here on out will be great, which is entirely possible. That would get it to $550M though. $600M? Yeah, that's impossible. Where do they think another $100M is going to come from?

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I certainly hope BO.com knows something we don't. It would be awesome to see  Rogue One cruise by $550M!

In all seriousness, I don't know where they get that from. I mean, maybe they just feel like the legs from here on out will be great, which is entirely possible. That would get it to $550M though. $600M? Yeah, that's impossible. Where do they think another $100M is going to come from?

Well BO.com has continuously made some not-so-good predictions . They are far from experts..

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well BO.com has continuously made some not-so-good predictions . They are far from experts..

Who's the best box office insider, in your mind? Besides RTH and Empire!!

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I have been in the game only a few months but from what I have seen is that most sites are inacurate most times. It's always difficult but I have seen some terrible predictions mainly from Deadline and BO.com

I believe that the best you can find comes from this site.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I have been in the game only a few months but from what I have seen is that most sites are inacurate most times. It's always difficult but I have seen some terrible predictions mainly from Deadline and BO.com

I believe that the best you can find comes from this site.

Gitesh Pandya is pretty solid for box office, but yeah, the insiders on this site are the best I've come across. I can't stay away from here!

• Like 4

Patriots Day is incredible...and this is coming from someone who doesn't believe the official story of how it all went down.  But as a film, it's riveting.  

• Like 4

Just now, baumer said:

Patriots Day is incredible...and this is coming from someone who doesn't believe the official story of how it all went down.  But as a film, it's riveting.  

I'm glad to hear all these positive reactions to Patriots Day. I'm going to see it tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

They all suck. Usually I just use pro.boxoffice as a baseline, but they seem to be more off than ever, in regards to under and over predicting

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marek the Jedi said:

no Star Wars movie ever did over 500mill except TFA, so why did you think that spinoff will make 700+? any reason? with bad $ exchange and it was clear that domestic will be just around over 60% what TFA did...

and yes The Phantom Menace did 552mil, but not from first run..

Marek

The 1.1bil o.s Total Ep7 did .Its was made me believe  it could clear at least 500 foreign which is 40%of Ep7 total.

I know it's a spin off which isnt  technically true giving the fact that it's a prequel to Ep4 so Ep3.5.

If it's truly intended as a spin off the Name it R1 not R1:ASS.When you give it that name it's officially placed in all the Eps time line.A spin off is intended to tell a story that's loosely connected not directly.

Edit As BOXOFFICEMOJO.COM updated 

It seems the flim will gain 500 o.s after all.

19mil more I'm sure the flim can get that.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 3

The problem with BO.com's predicition is if R1 copied TFA's legs EXACTLY (swaping the Presidents' Day weekend), you get about 545m.  I say about, because I don't have the daily drops for the last few weeks of TFA's run.

Maybe BO.com forgot to switch the Presidents' Day weekend drops (it comes a week later this year)???

They expect stronger than TFA legs??

Who knows.

But right now, it'll be tough to reach 550, never mind 600.

• Like 4

Rest of Sing's run:

Remainder of the week (post-MLK): 3M (240.7M Total)

Jan 20: 8.5M (2.2M weekdays, 251.4M Total)

Jan 27: 5.1M (1.6M weekdays, 258.1M Total)

Feb 3: 3.8M (1M weekdays, 262.9M Total)

Feb 10: 1.7M (500k weekdays, 265.1M Total)

Final Total: 270M

I wouldn't rule out 280M, but it needs to hold well when A Dog's Purpose is out.

Patriot's Day will likely have decent legs but it's going to be a tough sell OS. Luckily Lionsgate is only distributing for CBS Films and I suspect they've already made the budget back from selling the distribution rights like they do with all Lionsgate films so they only have to worry about domestic and UK where they do market and distribute the film.