DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

Oof what a terrible weekend. The plethora of new / expanding films killed the holdovers as expected but didn't make up the difference as was hoped. 

Outside of LA La Land and Sing nothing from the holdovers is having a good weekend. 

Sing overtakes Moana on Sunday and doesn't look back... Lala Land coming for Chicago!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, La La Land is looking to become Lionsgate's biggest non-Hunger Games and non-Twilight (even though they only distributed the last movie in that series) by a very large margin. Bow, @CJohn.

Not really. It just proves it would have done much more with a better studio. They are still the bomb land as Patriot's Day just showed.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Not really. It just proves it would have done much more with a better studio. They are still the bomb land as Patriot's Day just showed.

To be fair, I don't think Patriots Day would've done great business with any studio. I actually brought the movie up to a friend the other day and his answer was, "isn't it too soon for a movie about that?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Power Rangers is up next. 2 months from release and no actual shots of the Power Rangers in costume in the trailers or TV spots yet.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

They are going smaller on The Founder but trying to get as many as possible for Gold.  They are weird.  

What the hell? Fucking Weinstein lol.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No not really. If it was something like Paramount, or Universal it would have done the same. Just tragedies are a tough sell, same with terrorist related films.

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

Sad that Fences hasn't held better. I thought it was terrific. Also think that the complaint that it was "too much like a stage play" is maybe the sneaky worst go-to complaint of 2016. It's a Pulitzer Prize winning play that takes place entirely in one backyard. What did people expect, car chases and Denzel shooting people? It adds montages and season changes and a ton of subtle but classical shit that really adds to a work that would still be awesome if I filmed it on a cellphone in my own backyard. Great movie, man.

• Like 3

Box Office Pile-Up: Three Major Films Crash and Burn in Same Weekend

Martin Scorsese' 'Silence,' Ben Affleck's 'Live by Night' and 'Monster Trucks' are DOA; elswhere, 'Hidden Figures' continues to solve the problem and will easily win the long Martin Luther King holiday weekend.

The 2017 Martin Luther King holiday will go down in history as the weekend when three high-profile studio movies bombed, including Martin Scorsese's Silence and Ben Affleck's Live by Night

Live by Night. earned $2.9 million Friday from 2,822 theaters for a projected four-day holiday gross of $6 million-$7 million. That's bleak news for Affleck and Warner Bros., which spent a net $65 million to make the period gangster movie (tax incentives and rebates brought the budget down from $90 million). ... looks to come in No. 8 after poor reviews and a B CinemaScore.

Silence, ... into a total of 747 theaters. ...to earn just $2 million-$3 million for the four days after costing $50 million to make. Silence was financed independently, with Paramount handling distribution and marketing duties...

Monster Trucks is DOA with a projected four-day gross of $12 million-$13 million from 3,111 locations against a $125 million budget. In late 2016, Viacom took a $115 million write down for the $125 million movie in advance of its launch, a highly unusual move. The movie earned $2.6 million on Friday, and received an A CinemaScore.

Hidden Figures — t... last weekend with $22.8 million and is now looking to pull in the same over the four-day holiday after grossing $5.5 million Friday. The movie, previously playing in 2,471 theaters, is now available in 3,286 cinemas.

La La Land ... to earn $16 million-$17 million for the four days as Lionsgate expands the musical into a total of 1,848 theaters, including roughly 100 Imax runs, ... north of $76 million through Monday. La La Land, grossing $4.1 million on Friday,...

Overseas, La La Land is singing loudly. Lionsgate insiders expect the movie to open to a stellar $6 million in the U.K. this weekend as it dances past the $50 million mark internationally.

The Bye Bye Man is coming in ahead of expectations, earning $5.4 million Friday from 2,200 cinemas for a four day gross of $15 million-$16 million. The movie earned a C CinemaScore, not unusual for a horror offering.

Rogue One: A Star Wars ... a $15 million-$16 million weekend. On Friday, the movie passed up fellow Disney release Finding Dory ($486 million) to become the top-grossing release of 2016 in North America and on Saturday will jump the $500 million mark domestically.

Patriots Day, .. to gross $14 million-$15 million as it expands nationwide into a total of 3,120 theaters. CBS Films and Lionsgate teamed on the $40 million movie, which took in $4.1 million Friday.

Sleepless is faring better than expected for a projected four-day debut of $10 million from 1,803 locations. It earned a B+ CinemaScore.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hidden-figures-eyes-24m-mlk-victory-silence-live-by-night-doa-964232?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Power Rangers is up next. 2 months from release and no actual shots of the Power Rangers in costume in the trailers or TV spots yet.

John Wick is up next. Power Rangers is the main event of their demise.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Ben Affleck's career as a director now after the strong run he had going for him. First he made a strong debut with Gone Baby Gone, a critical hit that made little at the box office but got some nominations and found a following on DVD. Then he struck with a critical and box office hit that also got some nominations with The Town. Then he got a critical and box office hit that would not only also got nominations but won Best Picture with Argo. And he follows it up with...Live by Night, a critical flop and an even bigger box office bomb. Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of a downturn.

Ugh, those Monster Trucks and especially Patriots Day numbers are really sad. Live By Night I know would flop, but especially after Monster Trucks' performance at my theatre last night... meanwhile Patriots Day did our equivalent of $4.4M

Even talking to my boss about it, he's usually got some sort of explanation when a movie does great here but bombs everywhere or vice versa. Either some event going on in town, something specific about our market. He just shrugged his shoulders with this one, cause none of us have got a clue.

• Like 4

Just now, DAJK said:

Ugh, those Monster Trucks and especially Patriots Day numbers are really sad. Live By Night I know would flop, but especially after Monster Trucks' performance at my theatre last night... meanwhile Patriots Day did our equivalent of $4.4M

Even talking to my boss about it, he's usually got some sort of explanation when a movie does great here but bombs everywhere or vice versa. Either some event going on in town, something specific about our market. He just shrugged his shoulders with this one, cause none of us have got a clue.

The movies that are opening suck. That's it.