Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

12 hours ago, BirdMan said:

I don't know man , a horror comedy that is not scary nor funny that turns out to be some sort of fantasy sci fi thing with a very mediocre last 15 minutes SHOULD get nominated ? It was good but not that good tbh 

If the academy does nominate a genre movie  maybe either War of the planet of the apes or Logan would be the better option 

I get that but Get Out is an original film with social commentary and there are a few critics who still talk about that film as being one of their favorites.  I don't think it'll get a nomination but that's because it's so far removed from its release date.

I would get a kick out of Logan getting nominated but that's not going to happen. 

2 hours ago, XC-TF said:

I get that but Get Out is an original film with social commentary and there are a few critics who still talk about that film as being one of their favorites.  I don't think it'll get a nomination but that's because it's so far removed from its release date.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was a March release and was a top 5 contender. It's not impossible if the support is there for a film.

• Like 1

Marshall's reviews are good enough and Best Actor is empty enough I'm considering Boseman as a nom contender again after completely writing him off previously. I don't think it happens but if it made solid bank at the box office stranger things have certainly occurred.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Marshall's reviews are good enough and Best Actor is empty enough I'm considering Boseman as a nom contender again after completely writing him off previously. I don't think it happens but if it made solid bank at the box office stranger things have certainly occurred.

I hope it does. I am excited for Marshall. I love biopics!!!

Get Out's still the overall strongest movie I've seen this year.  I'd also say it's more social commentary than anything else, which definitely helps it.

Im pretty confident in it getting a nomination.  I think Peele even has a strong chance at a directing nom.

It's kind of like a Grand Budapest Hotel type of player.  Hell, it could even pull a Silence of the Lambs and potentially win.

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda
  • Like 1

Here's my left-field predicts for winners

BP: Get Out

BD: Guillermo Del Torro, The Shape of Water

Actress: Saorise Ronan, Lady Bird

Actor: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Supp Actress: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Supp Actor: Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name

Original Screenplay: Get Out

Cinematography: Dunkirk

Editing: Dunkirk

Costumes: Beauty and the Beast

Production Design: Beauty and the Beast

Hair and Makeup: The Shape of Water

Original Score: The Shape of Water

Sound Editing: Dunkirk

Sound Mixing: Blade Runner 2049

Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049

Animated Feature: Coco

• Like 1

Obviously The Current War is deader than ever before, but I'm wondering if the discussions about Hollywood's sexual assault will harm Wonder Wheel before it even has the chance to stand up. A lot of actors are getting backlash for even WORKING with Woody Allen, and the Weinstein discussions are bring his situation back into light as well. Of course, last year Casey Affleck still managed to win.

Either way, Amazon would be wise to prioritize The Big Sick.

1 minute ago, spaghetti! said:

Obviously The Current War is deader than ever before, but I'm wondering if the discussions about Hollywood's sexual assault will harm Wonder Wheel before it even has the chance to stand up. A lot of actors are getting backlash for even WORKING with Woody Allen, and the Weinstein discussions are bring his situation back into light as well. Of course, last year Casey Affleck still managed to win.

Either way, Amazon would be wise to prioritize The Big Sick.

We'll know if Wonder Wheel is even in the race on Saturday.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 6:18 AM, BirdMan said:

I don't know man , a horror comedy that is not scary nor funny that turns out to be some sort of fantasy sci fi thing with a very mediocre last 15 minutes SHOULD get nominated ? It was good but not that good tbh 

Image result for that's bait gif

New Actress predictions:

1. McDormand

2. Streep

3. Hawkins

------------------

4. Chastain

5. Robbie

6. Ronan

------------------

7. Dench

8. Lawrence

9. Winslet

I'm not totally putting Winslet out of the running because it sounds like an Oscar role, but I'm not sure how willing the Academy will be to support a Woody Allen film with mixed reviews amidst the Weinstein shit.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:56 PM, Jake Gittes said:

I still haven't seen Get Out but with the overall amount of talk about it re: Oscars I find it a little surprising that no one around here has namedropped Daniel Kaluuya at all. I thought it was supposed to be really solid work, and if the film proves to be popular at the end of the year, maybe he could sneak in?

I seriously want Harry Dean Stanton to be nominated. The chances of it right now are slim to none but c'mon Magnolia at least send out a bunch of screeners all over the place so they don't have an excuse if they snub him. 

Kaluuya would be a worthy nom but doubt they would give it to him. not showy enough  and all that jazz

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

New Actress predictions:

1. McDormand

2. Streep

3. Hawkins

------------------

4. Chastain

5. Robbie

6. Ronan

------------------

7. Dench

8. Lawrence

9. Winslet

I'm not totally putting Winslet out of the running because it sounds like an Oscar role, but I'm not sure how willing the Academy will be to support a Woody Allen film with mixed reviews amidst the Weinstein shit.

I think Dench is gonna end up nominated tbh. At the very least she's gonna be in the hunt until the morning of nominations.

finally the title's confirmed. and a christmas release date. still thinking it might get silence'd. but on the other hand the best actor round up is looking slim so i'm sure voters probably wouldn't even have to watch the film for ddl to score a nod for his "last" performance.

http://www.focusfeatures.com/phantom-thread/

On 10/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Here's my left-field predicts for winners

BP: Get Out

BD: Guillermo Del Torro, The Shape of Water

Actress: Saorise Ronan, Lady Bird

Actor: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Supp Actress: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Supp Actor: Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name

Original Screenplay: Get Out

Cinematography: Dunkirk

Editing: Dunkirk

Costumes: Beauty and the Beast

Production Design: Beauty and the Beast

Hair and Makeup: The Shape of Water

Original Score: The Shape of Water

Sound Editing: Dunkirk

Sound Mixing: Blade Runner 2049

Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049

Animated Feature: Coco

giphy.gif

Seriously though, Costume Design is the only award I can see it being nominated for at this point.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can see Beauty and the Beast snagging a tech nom or two along with a random Best Original Song nom for either "Evermore" or the Celine Dion song from the end credits. That's obviously as far as it's going.

Yeah, it probably will. I'm not really a big fan of the original song category in general so I could care less about it.

i think beauty and the beast can win for evermore. i dunno about other song contenders. heard a snippet of the lopezes song from coco and was underwhelmed. greatest showman looks bad and their supposed showstopper from the trailer was terrible. 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i think beauty and the beast can win for evermore. i dunno about other song contenders. heard a snippet of the lopezes song from coco and was underwhelmed. greatest showman looks bad and their supposed showstopper from the trailer was terrible. 

Watch that lame Taylor/Zayn song from Fifty Shades Darker get nominated.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Watch that lame Taylor/Zayn song from Fifty Shades Darker get nominated.

i'm rooting for it. it's good!

i guess sufjan wrote songs for call me by your name, i haven't heard them yet but god sufjan sucks so much. it would be worse than a sam smith level attack on my taste to see him win.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • ...wtf 1