Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

With one more week until Lady Bird (and to a lesser extent Last Flag) starts the Oscar box office season, here's just one more look at where I think the race is heading. Again, if I don't mention a movie, you can assume that I think it's dead.

Big Sick: I don't see it as a Best Picture nominee. The competition is super fierce, and the film seems too small to really make huge noise. But Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay seem really good.

Blade Runner 2049: I would be more confident if its box office was more impressive, but I think Adapted Screenplay and Director are pretty likely.

Call Me By Your Name: Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Actor are locks (hush Jake). Director is pretty likely Supporting Actor is iffy, but I think both Hammer and Stuhlbarg will find a way in, thanks to their performances and the strength of the film itself.

Darkest Hour: Oldman's locked for the win. Picture and Screenplay are likely, and I feel Kristen Scott Thomas could ride on the film's coattails for Supporting Actress. The category's weak, and I'm sure she has at least one decent scene to make her a possibility.

Disaster Artist: Franco and Adapted Screenplay will be the only noms.

Dunkirk: Picture and Director are locks, but that's really about it.

Florida Project: DaFoe's still an easy nominee, but I'm now even less certain on the film. Box office is only okay thus far, and Prince has been moved to a competitve Actress field, and Director's the only other non-Picture nominee I can see the movie turn up in. Lady Bird still seems like a safer bet. I do have it as an alt though, if Lady Bird or I, Tonya disappoint at the box office.

Get Out: Everyday, this movie looks stronger and stronger. Original Screenplay and Picture are locks, and I think Kaluuya has a really strong chance for a Best Actor nomination. The Academy isn't against non-showy performances in the past (see Casey Affleck), and the film itself has garnered acclaim and box office, to the point where it's still talked about and I'd assume every Academy member has already seen it. Add on strong chances for nominations at the Globes and BAFTAs, and an empty Best Actor field (Stronger bombed, Breathe did even worse, Roman Israel probably can't reverse its previous reception, and Tom Hanks has been snubbed many times in the past couple of years), I think Kaluuya can ride on the movie's coattails. Peele? Not as much, but I can see a scenario where he gets in for Director.

I, Tonya: Actress? Lock for nomination. Supporting Actress? Lock for win. Picture? Not confident, but I can see it as a lower-tier nominee.

Lady Bird: Orignal Screenplay? Likely Actress? Very likely. Supporting Actress? Lock for nomination. Picture? Not as confident as I was before, but it definitely has the potential.

Last Flag Flying: Adapted Screenplay's weak, so maybe this can find a way in there, but that's about it.

Molly's Game: Actress? It's Chastain vs. Ronan vs. Dench for the last spot. Adapted Screenplay's a lock though.

Shape of Water: Picture, Director, Actress, and Supporting Actress are guarantees. Screenplay's super likely too. In terms of Supporting Actor, between Shannon and Jenkins, I'm going with Shannon, if only because he's a bigger name, but I wouldn't be shocked if Jenkins beats him.

Three Billboards: I think this will sweep the night. Wins in Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Original Screenplay, with a Director nomination.

Victoria & Abdul: Dench has a good shot, thanks to her film's box office, but I'm more partial to Chastain or Ronan.

The nominees:

Best Picture:

1. Three Billboards

2. Call Me By Your Name

3. The Shape of Water

4. Dunkirk

5. Get Out

6. The Post

7. Darkest Hour

8. I, Tonya

9. Lady Bird

ALT: The Florida Project

Best Director:

1. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

2. Guillermo del Toro, Shape of Water

3. Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards

4. Luca Guadaningo, CMBYN

5. Denis Villenuve, Blade Runner 2049

ALT: Steven Spielberg, The Post

Best Actor:

1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

2. Timothee Chalamet, CMBYN

3. Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

4. James Franco, The Disaster Artist

5. Tom Hanks, The Post

ALT: Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Best Actress:

1. Frances McDormand, Three Billboards

2. Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

3. Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

4. Meryl Streep, The Post

5. Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game

ALT: Saorise Ronan, Lady Bird

Best Supporting Actor:

1. Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards

2. Willem DaFoe, The Florida Project

3. Michael Stuhlbarg, CMBYN

4. Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water

5. Armie Hammer, CMBYN

ALT: Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Best Supporting Actress:

1. Allison Janney, I, Tonya

2. Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

3. Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

4. Holly Hunter, The Big Sick

5. Kristen Scott Thomas, Darkest Hour

ALT: Mellissa Leo, Notivate

Best Original Screenplay:

1. Three Billboards

2. Get Out

3. The Shape of Water

4. Lady Bird

5. The Big Sick

ALT: Darkest Hour

Best Adapted Screenplay:

1. Call Me By Your Name

2. Molly's Game

3. The Disaster Artist

4. The Post

5. Last Flag Flying

ALT: Mudbound

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Call Me By Your Name: Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Actor are locks (hush Jake).

Ironically this is one of your few "locked" takes I agree with. Well, if "locked" means "as close to locked as it gets pre-nominations", just like how say Amy Adams last year was locked until oops. 

• Like 2

Well, Di Caprio won for dumber reasons and the competition this year isn't much better. They'll give it to him for his career if nothing else. Chalamet pulling an Adrien Brody, or DDL delivering such an all-timer of a performance that they can't help but reward him again are both fun possibilities but pretty unlikely. Other people's chances are even smaller.

For now I pretty much just hope to see Dafoe, James Ivory and Deakins win theirs. Don't have horses in any other races.

Edited by Jake Gittes

I feel like Darkest Hour is gonna end up on the fringes of the Best Picture line-up due to not having nearly as much passion as other contenders but I still see Best Actor as being Oldman's to lose at the moment. He's lucky in a way that his only competition are a college-aged dude and previous winners. If Darkest Hour does end up missing then he definitely won't be an "undeniable" frontrunner, and it's been eight years since the last time Best Actor went to someone in a film that wasn't up for the top prize (Jeff Bridges, the year the line-up expanded), so who knows. Chalamet winning would certainly be history-making.

• Like 1

I think Oldman is all but a lock.  And guess what?  It looks like he'll be great in it but that doesn't seem like a big surprise.

Just a general question to you more veteran posters here: have you all seen these films?  I've seen some of them but others I've missed out on.

19 minutes ago, XC-TF said:

I think Oldman is all but a lock.  And guess what?  It looks like he'll be great in it but that doesn't seem like a big surprise.

Just a general question to you more veteran posters here: have you all seen these films?  I've seen some of them but others I've missed out on.

well these films is a very broad phrase

7 hours ago, BirdMan said:

Can a movie not about sexuality/race/politics/Hollywood win ? or must they send a message every year ? a Lady Bird win would be very refreshing for example  

Can you make a post not attacking movies that talk about issues? or must you send a message every post? It would be very refreshing.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/petition-ban-casey-affleck-oscars-1201892821/

A petition is going around asking to ban Casey Affleck from doing his duties of presenting Best Actress this year (being the latest Best Actor winner), but I doubt anything comes of it unless a bomb drops between now and the end of February. There's been nothing to add to his previous allegations so it would just look very witch hunt-ish on their part.

• Like 4