Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

2 hours ago, stripe said:

It's still early in the race for a nom. In December Harvey's controversy will be almost forgotten.

I think it will continue to trickle down for a while and that it will come up with everyone during their campaigning, every roundtable type of event will aboard the subject.

Has for Harvey not having an impact, it is hard to know, we are influenced by the smallest things all the time, that said for movie is company simply bought and him not associated with the actual movie like Wind River, I would imagine that it would be true, for stuff he was directly involved creatively like Current War... could be tougher, but I do not think he had anything in play really anyway.

Jennifer Lawrence paygap essay was in October like Weinstein and was talked a lot during that year award season, Weinstein affair will stay for year's imo (depend of how much get revealed, but it touch so many element)

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Harry Styles isn't listed under the Supporting Actor category for Dunkirk. Poor heads of WB's Oscar campaign are about to be stoned to death by Directioners. 

That's a shame considering he actually gives the best performance in the movie

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 7 noms this year.

I am quite confident with these six already seen movies

Shape of Water 

Dunkirk

Darkest Hour

Call Me By Your Name

Three Billboards

Get Out

And good feeling wit this unseen movie

The Post

Only movies I can see geting a BP nom, at this point

Mudbound (but unsure because Netflix)

Ladybird (too indie?)

I, Tonya (more likely seen as an actress vehicle)

Wonder Woman (but genre...)

Blade Runner (but feeling not enough praised)

The Florida Project (too indie?)

All the money in the world (unseen)

Too divisive

Mother!

Downsizing

1 hour ago, stripe said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 7 noms this year.

I am quite confident with these six already seen movies

Shape of Water 

Dunkirk

Darkest Hour

Call Me By Your Name

Three Billboards

Get Out

And good feeling wit this unseen movie

The Post

Only movies I can see geting a BP nom, at this point

Mudbound (but unsure because Netflix)

Ladybird (too indie?)

I, Tonya (more likely seen as an actress vehicle)

Wonder Woman (but genre...)

Blade Runner (but feeling not enough praised)

The Florida Project (too indie?)

All the money in the world (unseen)

Too divisive

Mother!

Downsizing

I feel like The Big Sick has a chance to slide in a nom 

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Grand Budapest was helped by the fact that it was a heavy contender for half the techs. Big Sick even at best is looking at like 3-4 nods and no wins.

A better (and closer) comparison might be Hell or High Water. The Big Sick already has one acting nomination (Hunter) virtually in the bag given the dearth of competition in the Supporting Actress category, and I fully expect it to show up in Screenplay.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A better (and closer) comparison might be Hell or High Water. The Big Sick already has one acting nomination (Hunter) virtually in the bag given the dearth of competition in the Supporting Actress category, and I fully expect it to show up in Screenplay.

Can Ray Romano or Kumail be its Editing nomination? :lol: 

Nanjiani of Kaluuya are the only chances for the Best Actor category to not be all white.

I don't think there's anybody for Actress to fill that role.  There's a few options for supporting actress and actor.

Im nervous, looking at the pool, of another oscarssowhite controversy.

21 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That's a shame considering he actually gives the best performance in the movie

15 hours ago, AndyK said:

There wasn't really that much individual performance in the ,movie.

Mark Rylance gave the best performance in the movie but I don't even think he would be considered a baseline contender in the Supporting Actor category. 

25 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Nanjiani of Kaluuya are the only chances for the Best Actor category to not be all white.

I don't think there's anybody for Actress to fill that role.  There's a few options for supporting actress and actor.

Kaluuya being nominated would be fantastic imo.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I currently have Hong Chau (Downsizing) in last place in Supporting Actress (Brooklynn Prince is my alternate) but I don't know. Downsizing feels like it's gonna be a non-factor.

The last spot is really up for grabs in Supporting Actress this year. Unless maybe one of The Post's actresses has a meatier than expected role? Sarah Paulson and Carrie Coon will both be Oscar nominees someday but I doubt either is happening this year or for this movie.

The oscarsowhite controversy will be resurrected this year unless Get Out hits in many categories.

Best Actor: Kaluuya the best candidate

Best Actress: no contender

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer (safest bet). And Hong Chau, decent shot to grab a nom

Best Supporting Actor: no solid contender (category almost full with likely noms for Stuhlbarg, Rockwell, Jenkins and Dafoe)

In BP race there's also Mudbound as a contender.