Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't have BATB in Costume Design because the same designer did Darkest Hour and it's super rare for the same person to be nominated twice in one year.

i mean didn't sandy powell get in for cinderella and carol? that seems like a similar comparable deal here. i think beauty is probably too garish to be ignored. honestly it's the most likely winner.

• Like 1

So with the Weinstein shit going on and Wonder Wheel's premiere getting canceled, should we be concerned about I, Tonya's chances? Neon's president is Tim League, who has been under fire for not taking action against Faraci and Knowles, and the film itself reportedly has scenes of abuse, so I feel Robbie might get snubbed and Janney might not be as safe as we all think.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

So with the Weinstein shit going on and Wonder Wheel's premiere getting canceled, should we be concerned about I, Tonya's chances? Neon's president is Tim League, who has been under fire for not taking action against Faraci and Knowles, and the film itself reportedly has scenes of abuse, so I feel Robbie might get snubbed and Janney might not be as safe as we all think.

no one really cares about tim league. that stuff's no where on the same level.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no one really cares about tim league. that stuff's no where on the same level.

No name here to spin a story you are right, also some of that stuff became public after the movie was made I think right ? And they just happen to have bought the movie, nothing to do with it.

Would be hard to blame people involved with it in any way and will be really easy for everyone involved to face those questions during the junkets: I had no idea who those people were or those stuff/festival they were doing, let alone about any wrong doing, sounding like a good enough answer to any question here.

Edited by Barnack

The Weinstein stuff is awful and going to be on everyone's minds but fucking Casey Affleck won Best Actor last year so I'm not betting they'd down a movie because of the loose involvement of some nobody named Tim league.

Edited by Cmasterclay

thinking about it it's true. the basic moral a lot of people are taking from the weinstein stories is "Hollywood is a toxic swamp of perversion" and the oscars are all about trying to make hollywood look good so i imagine they might make a little more effort than usual to avoid a sex offender popping up on the ballot.

• Like 4

Best Picture: Three Billboards

Best Director: Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

Best Actor: Gary Oldman, The Darkest Hour

Best Actress: Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe

Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney

Best Original Screenplay: Three Billboards

Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name

Best Cinematography: Dunkirk

Best Original Score: Dunkirk

Best Sound Mixing: Dunkirk

Best Film Editing: Dunkirk

Best Sound Editing: Dunkirk

Best Visual Effects: Apes 3

Best Production Design: The Shape of Water

Best Make Up: The Darkest Hour

Best Costume Design: Beauty and The Beast

Wonder Wheel likely won't even get a lone Cinematography nom at this point. Even if it weren't for the air of toxicity surrounding the movie in the wake of Weinstein's fall, the film's reception is too weak (it'll most likely make pennies at the box office too). 

4 hours ago, Tauren Warlock said:

Do you think I, Tonya which is distributed by Miramax will get shunned by the Academy due to the Harvey Weinstein issue. I have it winning for Best Supporting Actress, but it may change due to what has happened.

Miramax as it is now is not the same as it was during the Harvey era (or even those few years after he left when Disney had it as a specialty unit before shuttering it in 2010).

3 minutes ago, Robertman2 Floats Too said:

Miramax got brought back?

Yeah. They've been around under the radar. From Wikipedia:

Miramax was sold by Disney to Filmyard Holdings, a joint venture of Colony NorthStar, Tutor-Saliba Corporation, and Qatar Investment Authority, in 2010, ending Disney's 17-year ownership of the studio. In 2016, ownership was transferred to beIN Media Group.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tauren Warlock said:

Do you think I, Tonya which is distributed by Miramax will get shunned by the Academy due to the Harvey Weinstein issue. I have it winning for Best Supporting Actress, but it may change due to what has happened.

I, Tonya's being distributed by Neon.

10 hours ago, Tauren Warlock said:

It won't effect it. I do not see the academy punishing actor/actress/the crew of film for Weinstien film. I, Tonya will be fine. It will win a couple of Oscars. I, Tonya, is not be distributed by Weinstien.

• Like 1

The Harvey controversy won't have an impact, IMHO. 

It's still early in the race for a nom. In December Harvey's controversy will be almost forgotten. Anyways, one thing are Harvey's sins, and other thing are the movies distributed by Weinstein company.

If the movies he is involved are not nommed, it will be due to lack of quality/impact.