14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Safe House

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is a Denzel/Reynolds movie, two of my favourite actors. It would have to be an absolutely horrible movie for me not to like it. As it stands, I liked it, but I wanted more. What's good about it is the action scenes and every scene with Ryan Reynolds. He just commands the screen. I could watch him act inside a wooden box under the ground for 2 hours and not get bored ;) .The film has a fairly pedestrian story about CIA and other spy agencies all over the world being implicated in some nasty business on a chip that Zel comes into possession of. This is the same story of Abduction and it's fine, but I expected more from this film than I did from Abduction. 7/10

"Safe House" Review. No Spoilers.I was pleasantly surprised by this film. I wasn't sure if I would like this as much as I ended up doing so. Washington is still on the top of his game, and Reynolds proves his worth here along side. The story's probably not the best (plot holes, cia been there done that, predictablitiy), but the set pieces and performances by the main two, make this an extremely entertaining movie.A 7/10 or "Love it."Note: Nothing after the credits in this one!

Edited by hogwash13777

^ 7/10 = 'love it'?

Yup. I have an odd scale. It's actually pretty leniant. 7 is the bottom of the "Love it" range, though.9+ Marry it.7-8.5 would be Love it.5-6.5 would be Like it.3-4.5 would be Skip it.1-2.5 would be Trash it.Sort of childish if you ask me. :D Edited by hogwash13777
  • Like 1

Although, I had a feeling this movie would be more of the "been there, done that" story and mostly it was, I still enjoyed this. Probably due to Denzel being Denzel. While the movie is extremely predictable and they give it away very early on, it was still a fun, entertaining flick.

B+

• Like 1

I felt the same way about this film that I did about Contraband. Therefore, since both films exhibit extraordinary lack of creativity or originality, I feel it is only appropriate for me to review them in the same way.

The following is my review for Contraband.

It basically behaves like a prototype of the prototype.

That's likely nothing that you haven't seen in this film before, and it's just been done a lot better in other films.

I will say it's not awful, and I was never bored.....but this is the kind of film I'll likely forget I ever even saw in a few months.

C+/C

Overall, not a bad movie, but it feels like it's been done a hundred times before.Anyone else find Denzel's facial expressions when he's wounded/dying to be funny. It's the same stare every time! I wish I had time to find each movie from Glory, to Training Day to Book of Eli to Man on Fire. You guys know the look I'm talking about right?

C+Echoing everyone else it seems. I wanted something to watch, Denzel and Reynolds are great actors, so why not. It's watchable but not much else. You guess it's Gleeson from the time something goes wrong, every foot is so predictable. At least this means I won't give Contraband a chance because it's quite sad already that I decided to have a dip with this.

- generic

- badly filmed, there wasn't a single scene without  shaky cam  :sick:

- unlikable and cliche characters, yes, I'm looking at you Denzel Washington

- meh action scenes

- the twist is so predictable that it's funny

F 2/10

the worst action movie, tied with Taken 2, of 2012.

Edited by Goffe

Watched it again last night.  This is so much better than I thought it was the first time I saw it.  When you get past the flashdrive plot point, the film is terrific, mostly due to a knockout performance from Reynolds.  He really outshines Denzel here.  I didn't like Fermiga's character, she was way too unbelievable, and that right away lets you know that she is not the secret bad guy.  But other than that, this is a terrific film with two great performances by RR and Zel.