Avatree

ARCHIVE - Classic Box Office

Hello all, I thought it would be useful in this forum to maintain an archive of threads so it's easier to find the movie you want to talk about. I will update this regularly but if when you make a new thread, if you could post a link in here that would make it easier :) 

101 Dalmatians (1961)

Beauty and the Beast

Beverly Hills Cop

The Blair Witch Project

Cleopatra (1963)

Crocodile Dundee

Cutthroat Island

The Firm

Gone with the Wind

Jurassic Park

The Lion King
The Matrix

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

The Passion of the Christ

Pretty Woman

The Rescuers

The Sixth Sense

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Speed

Speed 2: Cruise Control

Spider-Man

Titanic

Twister (1996)

Waterworld

Zyzzyx Road

Edited by Manchester by the Tree
  • Like 5

Hurry Up Or I'll Be 30 - Danny DeVito
1973 film starring John Lefkowitz, Linda De Coff, and Danny DeVito.
"Best Bet" - New York Magazine
"It would be hard to find a more likable - plain likable - movie around Town..."
- Vincent Canby, The New York Times

#hurry up or i'll be 30 #danny devito
www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6J0PXT

I would like to talk about "Sixteen Candles" from 1984. Gede Watanabe was the funniest actor in that film. Long Duck Dong! There was an opportunity for this character that was missed in the 1980's. The character could have been a recurring one. On the issue of high school group dynamics, everyone knows the foreign exchange student. Recurring? What do you mean? There was no sequel to "Sixteen Candles". No, Long Duck Dong could have returned to China, and then he could come back to another city or state IN ANOTHER HIGH SCHOOL MOVIE! That's right, he could talk about when he lived with the Bakers in Chicago, you know, with "grandma and grandpa, and that bowhunk"! Now, Anthony Michael Hall is going to be in the next Halloween movie. So let's have all the other actors from "Sixteen Candles" in the film. Talk about a bizarre movie reunion! I wonder how Gede Watanabe would fit into this film. Mabey Molly Ringwald can be one of the final girls, with Kyle Richards (I really like her), or Jamie Lee Curtis! Anyway, I don't think there has ever been a novelization of "Sixteen Candles".  That was surprising, because somebody should write this. Was Ted's last name actually Farmer? If not, this could be cleared up in the book, as well as other things like Gede Watanabe's insistence that there is a deleted scene at the dance when he stood in for the DJ. We saw the breakdancers in the hallway of the school, the guys in those red outfits, but we should have seen them on the dance floor? I guess this was a simple oversight by John Hughs, because this breakdanceing was very popular with teenagers at the time. Also, exactly what really happened between Farmer Ted and Carolyn, before we cut to the parking lot the next morning! And possibly some information about the characters in the future. That's right! How did things go between Samantha and Jake. Did they get married, or did they break up? Or did Farmer Ted show up at school the next year as a normal person, and not a geek. There is so much information that the book could delve into. I will buy it, and so will many others. So if you are a professional writer of pop movie novelizations, it's time to get to work! Finally. The reason why I like this movie so much is because it was the most accurate depiction for what high school was like for me back in the 1980's. Would love to hear any concepts for any possible sequel.

I could not find a specific thread for John Hughs films on this site, so I'll just talk about them here. This is my ranking of the notable films he made:

1) Sixteen Candles

2) Weird Science

3) Ferris Bueller's Day Off

4) Pretty In Pink

5) The Breakfast Club

Now I want to talk about "The Breakfast Club". I do not believe John Hughs should have made this film. Because it was not funny. Yet it still sits in the comedy category. This had to do with serious situations that teenagers have to deal with in reality. He should have made another random comedy like "Weird Science" or a sequel to "Sixteen Candles" or something. He should have picked up the telephone and called someone like Susan B. Hinton. "I have an idea for a movie that I would like you to make. I like teenager movies, but this is different one, and it is not a comedy."  I believe this author wrote the "Outsiders". She among others, specialize in stories and movies about teenagers in serious, and real situations. Interestingly, Emilio Estevez was in both of these films. So who knows, mabey he brought this up with John Hughes during pre production. Anyway, I am not trying to take anything away from John Hughs, this movie does have value, and was very well done, especially with the acting. I guess movie makers like to move away from their specialties like comedies, and experiment with other concepts or even personal projects. Kind of Like Steven Speilberg with "Jaws" and "E.T.". Mass appeal at the box office. But "Schindlers List" just didn't make alot of money with a smaller target audience.