Mango

The Matrix (1999)

One of the most revolutionary films of the 20th century, The Matrix release on Wednesday, March 31st 1999 where it made a solid opening weekend of over $27 million. 

The glowing word word of mouth and an intense public interest after opening weekend gave the film incredibly strong legs throughout the rest of the spring season, where it even managed to stay in the mix for the first half of the summer (in my opinion, one of its greatest feats is managing a 36.8% drop against the direct and massive competition that was The Phantom Menace, then making a total rebound anyway with an increase going into Memorial Day weekend.

The Matrix held steady throughout its run and ended up with a $171.5M domestic total, good for 5th place at the North American box office that year. It really clicked with international audiences as well, making a $292M gross for a worldwide cume of $463.5 million.

After revolutionizing action films and the way action is looked at in the world of cinematography in theaters, The Matrix would also become the first DVD to sell over a million copies, something that surely assisted the medium into properly overtaking VHS.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

One of the most revolutionary films of the 20th century, The Matrix release on Wednesday, March 31st 1999 where it made a solid opening weekend of over $27 million. 

The glowing word word of mouth and an intense public interest after opening weekend gave the film incredibly strong legs throughout the rest of the spring season, where it even managed to stay in the mix for the first half of the summer (in my opinion, one of its greatest feats is managing a 36.8% drop against the direct and massive competition that was The Phantom Menace, then making a total rebound anyway with an increase going into Memorial Day weekend.

The Matrix held steady throughout its run and ended up with a $171.5M domestic total, good for 5th place at the North American box office that year. It really clicked with international audiences as well, making a $292M gross for a worldwide cume of $463.5 million.

After revolutionizing action films and the way action is looked at in the world of cinematography in theaters, The Matrix would also become the first DVD to sell over a million copies, something that surely assisted the medium into properly overtaking VHS.

a friend told me about a guy who bought the film on DVD and stared at the menu screen for ten minutes because he was so enamored at the quality. 

• Like 3

A shame about the sequels... although I must say in retrospect The Matrix Reloaded kinda represents the peak of CGI innovation as far as I'm concerned. They still hold up really well to this day (and I would daresay even put most effects these days to shame).

Edited by Jiffy

On 2/4/2017 at 4:21 PM, John Marston said:

a friend told me about a guy who bought the film on DVD and stared at the menu screen for ten minutes because he was so enamored at the quality. 

The Matrix 5 disc bluray was the first one I bought, it looked so awesome and was really well designed.

I got my movie forum start as the webmaster of a Matrix fan site. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Matrix was the first DVD I got when I received a DVD player for Christmas in 2000. Remember those stupid snap cases WB would make?

And it took them until the mid-2000s to drop it, with the occasional exception of two-disc sets. I remember being pleasantly surprised when the sequels were released with proper packaging. That being said, I think I preferred the snap cases to the multiple folds slipcases of the first two Harry Potter movies; at least they were just one piece.

I also had a snap case edition of The Matrix, but I ended up losing the disc itself when I lent it to a friend in college and never ended up getting it back. I didn't mind that much (I was super-close with the friend in question, and I had forgotten that I even lent it to her until I wanted to watch it at random one day during the summer after graduation), save for the fact that the Blu-Ray edition has a green tint to match the sequels. It just looks weird.

Edited by Webslinger

I remember I used to always like to go to a movie on my birthday.  

Well, here it comes and I decide to go see The Matrix because I saw a brief clip on TV which was Keanu shooting two guns at once and I knew I had to see it.  I hadn't even seen a full trailer!

I saw it that night by myself and then over the next three days, took 3 different friends to go see it.  So 4 times in the first week for me!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2017 at 0:39 AM, Webslinger said:

And it took them until the mid-2000s to drop it, with the occasional exception of two-disc sets. I remember being pleasantly surprised when the sequels were released with proper packaging. That being said, I think I preferred the snap cases to the multiple folds slipcases of the first two Harry Potter movies; at least they were just one piece.

I also had a snap case edition of The Matrix, but I ended up losing the disc itself when I lent it to a friend in college and never ended up getting it back. I didn't mind that much (I was super-close with the friend in question, and I had forgotten that I even lent it to her until I wanted to watch it at random one day during the summer after graduation), save for the fact that the Blu-Ray edition has a green tint to match the sequels. It just looks weird.

the special edition DVD released in 2004 also has the green tint. The only way to see the original theatrical version is the old 1999 DVD 

1999 was the perfect year to release The Matrix.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

In fact, everything about the movie was perfect. I wouldn't change a second of it.

• Like 5