John Marston

Speed 2: Cruise Control - 160m budget!!!

the sequel to 1994's Speed. Keanu Reeves decided to not do this but the studio I guess thought Sandra Bullock was enough star power. The location was a cruise liner compared to the bus from the first movie.

here is the interesting thing about this movie. It had a whopping 160m budget according to Box Office Mojo. Making it the third most expensive movie of all time after Titanic and Waterworld. Jesus! How did they let that happen?

the movie of course was a massive bomb. Making only 48 million domestically and 164 million worldwide. Fox had a pretty bad 1997 which bombs like Speed 2, Volcano, and Alien: Resurrection. Then again, weren't they a  co producer of Titanic? So I guess they ended up being OK in the end. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the sequel to 1994's Speed. Keanu Reeves decided to not do this but the studio I guess thought Sandra Bullock was enough star power. The location was a cruise liner compared to the bus from the first movie.

here is the interesting thing about this movie. It had a whopping 160m budget according to Box Office Mojo. Making it the second most expensive movie of all time after Titanic. Jesus! How did they let that happen?

the movie of course was a massive bomb. Making only 48 million domestically and 164 million worldwide. Fox had a pretty bad 1997 which bombs like Speed 2, Volcano, and Alien: Resurrection. Then again, weren't they a  co producer of Titanic? So I guess they ended up being OK in the end. 

All I remember about Speed 2 is the UB40 song from the soundtrack.

Jason Patric just never got another big movie post this bombing.

At one point a bunch of friends of mine used this as the gauge for a bad movie.  It was like "hey was the movie bad, or was it Speed 2 bad?"    Although we did use the horrible "i wish I had my chainsaw" a lot when we got food we couldn't cut through :P 

it is awful on pretty much every level.  Probably the smartest career move Keanu ever did by turning this down.

I still can't believe i have never seen the whole movie.  I have watched the first Speed more than any movie except maybe Die Hard and its easily one of my five favorite films yet I think I watched the last 30 minutes of this movie the night before it came out when I worked in a theater and that was it. 

4 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

I still can't believe i have never seen the whole movie.  I have watched the first Speed more than any movie except maybe Die Hard and its easily one of my five favorite films yet I think I watched the last 30 minutes of this movie the night before it came out when I worked in a theater and that was it. 

This movie is trash and a disgrace to the first. Setting it on board a cruise ship was probably the dumbest choice they could've made. Everyone likes to rag on Keanu, but at least he smelled a dud from miles away.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:43 PM, grim22 said:

All I remember about Speed 2 is the UB40 song from the soundtrack.

Jason Patric just never got another big movie post this bombing.

Despite replacing Reeves, Patric can actually be a really solid actor (After Dark My Sweet, Narc for example). He just happened to have really poor luck. 

Movie was shit, though. I think the script should have gotten at least ten rewrites before they finished it. Setting it on a cruise ship was especially dumb. At least it gave us a great movie sequel tagline. 

• Like 1

This sequel was very unnecessary, Fox saw that Sandra Bullock was becoming a bigger star, so Keanu basically said fuck this. Then Fox decided to wash it down, and half-ass it. The sequel was only made for the studio, and it would be made just to have Sandra Bullock if she said no, the sequel wouldn't have been made to be honest. 

How this sequel had a large decrease from the original? The original was smart,and had a very effective idea, that can maybe happen in real life(no joke), and this one was made to go on a cruise. This was dumped in the shitfest of June, studios saw the success of sequels which started to pop up like crazy in 1997. So it bombed because no one wanted to see it.