YM!

Top 10 of 2018 predictions: From JAN 1st 2018 to DEC 31st 2018

Just now, That One Guy said:

uh yes, domestic does matter considering this is top 10 DOMESTIC gross predictions?

"highest rated franchise on average" yeah no.  83.3% average for the Harry Potter series, and the average for the dark knight trilogy is 88.3%.  average for LOTR is 94%.  average for Indiana Jones is 86%.  want me to go on?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4604580/best-movies-franchises-rotten-tomatoes/%3Fsource%3Ddam

Just now, holditrightthere98 said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/?view=Franchise&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

notice: LOTR, Indiana Jones, and TDK trilogy are all listed as films on here.  TIME does not count them for whatever reason, but i certainly do.

and that list is incomplete even if we're just talking what RT lists as a complete franchise, since indiana jones is listed as a complete one on there.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/?view=Franchise&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

notice: LOTR, Indiana Jones, and TDK trilogy are all listed as films on here.  TIME does not count them for whatever reason, but i certainly do.

and that list is incomplete even if we're just talking what RT lists as a complete franchise, since indiana jones is listed as a complete one on there.

You're trying to argue semantics and minutiae to try to somehow prove that potter and Wizarding world are the lowly obscure ya fantasy films you seem to think they are. The article was perfectly clear. Indiana Jones has a bad film. Harry Potter doesn't 

Just now, holditrightthere98 said:

You're trying to argue semantics and minutiae to try to somehow prove that potter and Wizarding world are the lowly obscure ya fantasy films you seem to think they are. The article was perfectly clear. Indiana Jones has a bad film. Harry Potter doesn't 

uh, but you claimed it was the highest rated franchise on average when that's not the case at all.  and critics certainly don't seem to think Indiana has a bad film (crystal skull is rated higher than fantastic beasts).

i don't even try and act like fantastic beasts was a failure (i actually went out of my way to defend that it was a success on the JL thread when someone tried to imply it wasn't), but i just think it'll drop domestically from the first film.  that's it.

3 minutes ago, holditrightthere98 said:

Still thinking FB2 won't do over $250M+ domestic.

Just now, Jason said:

May I ask why you are arguing with someone everyone here knows is impervious to reason and no one actually agrees with? Not to mention I'm sure they're going to get whacked soon. The Tele banhammer comes at him fast.

It's fun lol.

also the fact that they're about to get banned is the prime reason I'm doing it.  might as well try and knock some sense into their mind before the tele banhammer knocks them out of the forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

LMAO HI DCASEY.

well since you're about to be banned anyway, I might as go all in:

-"30 billion dollar entertainment brand" (citation needed).  And even if that were the case, it's quite obvious that this shit isn't gonna hit 30B+ anyway lmao

-CinemaScore is useless unless it gets like a C- or below or an A+.

-"highest grossing franchise proper" Star Wars???  marvel??? if you're talking purely worldwide grosses then marvel still outgrosses it (star wars probably will once episode 8 hits theaters this year)

-"universally praised" this would mean every single one of its films is liked by everyone and has no criticisms whatsoever that can fault it.  obviously not true.  none of their films have a 100% on RT.

-73% RT rating is solid but nothing to indicate fantastic reception

-audience scores are useless other than to indicate WoM and legs (Diary of a Mad Black Woman has an 87% rating lmao)

-again, 66 on metacritic is good but doesn't indicate universal praise.

-"highest grossing" domestically it was #12 lol.  that doesn't really indicate it was one of the most seen films of the year outside of its existing fanbase (most people see about 5 films per year, IIRC).

-almost all of its BAFTA and Oscar awards come from technical categories (only one that wasn't was "outstanding british film).  suicide squad won an oscar, that doesn't mean it was universally praised.

-lmao I'm far from a "dudebro," but sorry Fantastic Beasts is far from a huge franchise right now.  "no name comic book and animated films" yeah please contact me when spider-man, avengers, grinch, incredibles, deadpool, scooby-doo, ant-man, and wreck-it ralph are "no name"

-"blocking everyone who disagrees with you" only one person is on my block list and they haven't ever commented in this thread.

-"theres never been a potter film outside the top 10" but fantastic beasts was #12 domestically last year????

Just a question; what would you call a huge franchise?? Because If 800m WW is not enough the standard becomes too high.

After all it was WB's biggest success (earning wise) last year so by your though, WB has zero huge franchises anymore.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Just a question; what would you call a huge franchise?? Because If 800m WW is not enough the standard becomes too high.

Domestically speaking, Star Wars, Pixar/Dory, Illumination/SLOP/Sing, Marvel, Disney/Jungle Book/Zootopia/Moana, X-Men/Deadpool, and DC all beat it last year.  WW speaking, it's a huge franchise, but domestically speaking, i'm not sure if the average moviegoer outside of its existing fanbase really cares enough for a second film.

Domestically speaking, Star Wars, Pixar/Dory, Illumination/SLOP/Sing, Marvel, Disney/Jungle Book/Zootopia/Moana, X-Men/Deadpool, and DC all beat it last year.  WW speaking, it's a huge franchise, but domestically speaking, i'm not sure if the average moviegoer outside of its existing fanbase really cares enough for a second film.

Thats a fair excuse but it is better to include "domestically" because USA is like 1/20 of the world.

Afterall, I am confident that 90% of the first movies gross came from the fan base anyway.

So New Mutants is 4/13/18

Dead2ool is 6/1/18

Xmen Dark Phoenix is 11/2/18

Peter Rabbit is 2/9/18

Time for some revisions.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1.) Amusement Park $350M OW/$1B (obviously a joke)

1.) Infinity War $200M/$505M

2.) Incredibles 2 $150M/$485M

3.) Jurassic World 2: The squeakquel $190M/$475M

4.) Han Solo $130M/$400M

5.) Black Panther $120M/$360M

6.) Aquaman $100M/$330M

7.) Dead2ool $140M/$320M

8.) Grinch $80M/$310M

9.) Ready Player One/Mulan $90M/$275M

10.) New Mutants $105M/$260M

11.) Mortal Engines $85M/$250M

12.) Fantastic Beasts 2 $80M/$230M