AniNate

Wonder | Stephen Chbosky | 11/17/17 | J Tremblay, J Roberts, O Wilson

Bravo to Cbosky, Tremblay, and pretty much everyone involved here. This movie is pretty fresking great, and I think it's legs over the coming weeks are going to reflect that.

Initially, I kind of wished that the movie had taken some more "grown-up" chances with repracussions of different things that happened rather than being so kid friendly. But looking back, I'm glad that it didn't, because having something like super super sad resulting from bullying and such would just be too Hollywood and trying to tug on the heartstrings. But this tugs on your heartstrings a different way, by making you feel good at the end rather than a bucket of tears. It really captures the innocence and forgiving nature of little kids. 

Bravo movie. Now let's smash that 100M mark and beyond.

• Like 2

Jacob Tremblay is a national treasure, and he needs to be protected at all costs. Its been two years since the eleven-year-old starred in "Room" with Brie Larson and his acting abilities just get better with age. Where other films he is acting with adult actors, this is the first time he's performing amongst other kids, and he's as great with them as well. Unlike other child actors, I feel like by the time he hits his teenage years he’s going to either get an Oscar nomination or win. I’m still mad that he wasn’t nominated in "Room." I’ve never said “Aww” some many times in a movie this year than this, and never once was it even manipulative.

The screenplay does harken back to one’s childhood where they go through the struggle of fitting in no matter whether he or she is an elementary school child or a high schooler. The authenticity of childhood growth is there and never betrays that. All of the kids do act like kids, and you don’t see that very often in films nowadays. For God’s sake the film utilizes Minecraft in as a plot device to reestablish a broken friendship between kids, and it does warrant some shredded tears. “Wonder” may be the only movie ever made to make you cry over two kids playing Minecraft.

I don’t want to say much about "Wonder" other than its wholesome Its sweet natured. It does have moments of melodrama, but at its core, you have a movie about family, acceptance, and growth which all those themes were present in Chbosky’s  “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” Just like Chbosky’s last film, he does an amazing job at balancing them all and hitting home all these human qualities in a realistically relatable way.

FULL REVIEW HERE: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//wonder-review

Just an unrelated side note but one of my newest favorite moments of this year was attending BookCon where I met Chbosky and asked him about successful screenwriting, and he gave me an elaborate six-point plan that everyone who wants to write should follow. It was incredible. NOW TO THE REVIEW!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol is every movie being turned into a musical these days? I can't wait until the inevitable The Shape of Water: The Musical eventually gets the go-ahead.

Lol, I mean they made Big Fish into a musical so why not fuck-a-fish