CJohn

Friday Numbers (The Vow: 15.4M; Safe House: 13.8M; Star Wars 3D: 8.7M; Journey 2: 6.6M)

Hey look at that, Reynolds has a hit. Good for him, he needed that. People apparently really love Denzel as a bad guy.

I would say badass (remember The Book of Eli?), not exactly bad.
  • Like 1

Denzel as a badass is what got asses in seats for Safe House. Not Reynolds. Hell, the TV Spots I saw downplayed his involvement. This is a win for Universal and Denzel, but doesn't do anything for Reynolds (Green Lantern and The Change-Up flopping are still both looming over him)

Also the Phantom Menace $33 million just goes to show you the general public doesn't hate that movie or George Lucas like the Internet and fandom claims they do.

Remember 99% of showings of Phantom Menace are in 3D so it's not like it is selling a large amount of tickets

I read some comments that may be true on why RR doesn`t work as the leading man - too goofy-faced to make a convincing action hero, too buff to endear as a comedian.

I don't think it's the "goofy face". Shia Labeauf has a somewhat goofy face and he is good in action films. RR doesn't work in action. He doesn't have the presence, gravitas, no swagger.

Well, kids should be at school, shouldn't they?I would believe, that the best movies for friday matinees are movies appealing to older people and Safe House looks like such a movie to me.

Ah Got it. Never mind me.

Interesting because BOM lowered their number from $7.90 last week to $7.83 this week.

I don't doubt that they're right, but I don't think it's because theaters are lowering overall ticket prices, although they might be offering more special deals than they used to. It could also be a number of other factors, the biggest and most likely of which is fewer 3D ticket sales. Fewer IMAX ticket sales could contribute too, though I have no reason to suspect it. More kids tickets being sold would be a possibility, but with so few recent kids movies that seems less likely. And then there's the question of whether for some reason recent movies have done better in the regions of the country with lower ticket prices compared to, say, NYC and LA.
  • Like 1

It's all just a dream.No way could there be 3-30m+ openers in one dry February weekend.

Star Wars may not do it. It is just a shame that we won't have 4 20M+ openers. Journey 2 tanked badly.