CJohn

Friday Numbers (The Vow: 15.4M; Safe House: 13.8M; Star Wars 3D: 8.7M; Journey 2: 6.6M)

Calm down dude, these are just early numbers from Nikki, no reason to get all...SAFE HOUSE OVER VOW?!?! FUCK YEAH!Not even in my wildest dreams could I picture something like this. Only Denzel could pull it off. He is mah nigga.

This is much bigger than a normal Denzel opening. His films usually open to about 20-25 mill, not 35-40. American Gangster is the exception.

Denzel is a huge draw. Join that he being the bad guy, Ryan Reynolds and a fantastic marketing campaign. Those 2 SuperBowl Tv Spots helped like shit.Same with SB Tv Spot for Star Wars.

I think most of this is due to Denzel's drawing power, but as you said, I think a lot of it is Reynold's pairing with Denzel, which I think will go uncredited. But I can't prove that theory, so there you go. But I like Denzel and Reynolds, so this is a win situation.

This is much bigger than a normal Denzel opening. His films usually open to about 20-25 mill, not 35-40. American Gangster is the exception.

In American Gangster he was the bad guy. In Safe House, he is the bad guy.(The Book of Eli is another exception, but that was sold as a blockbuster)

Guru mentioned that they really kicked it up into high gear with the marketing for SF. He mentioned that the Jay Z/Kanye music in the trailer really helped and also seeing RR in a good supporting role did as well.

Star Wars will be frontloaded so not sure. The Vow and Safe House should make it.Insane for Safe House. The SB Tv Spots, Denzel as the bad guy and Ryan Reynolds. Ryan Reynolds proves that GL and TCU failling had nothing to do with him.

You are wrong. It proved that RR is not the star. Put him in the lead = flop. Put him in a real star`s movie as a supporting actor or villain = success. The guy just isn`t the lead.
  • Like 4

I am happy for Ryan Reynolds. Nobody can say shit now. Everyone was against him for no reason last Summer! Now is movie is going to open with at least 35M+ so FUCK YEAH!

Edited by CJohn

Safe House will be a tad bigger than expected, TPM will not make 30m with an 11m friday.

Sure it will. This will play like a kids film:11 Friday:12.1 Sat (+10%)8.0 Sun (-33%)31 mill.

Guru mentioned that they really kicked it up into high gear with the marketing for SF. He mentioned that the Jay Z/Kanye music in the trailer really helped and also seeing RR in a good supporting role did as well.

Having Kanye music in your commericials is turning into a great strategy. Jarhead, Limitless, Social Network, and now Safe House.
  • Like 2

You are wrong. It proved that RR is not the star. Put him in the lead = flop. Put him in a real star`s movie as a supporting actor or villain = success. The guy just isn`t the lead.

Green Lantern would flop with anyone. Anyone. The movie was crap. He had no fault in that. He was fine in the movie.
  • Like 1

There's been a very simple truth over these many years: Audiences love when Denzel goes bad.And we all underestimated it.

So fucking true. That and badass roles like The Book of Eli.

I am happy for Ryan Reynolds. Nobody can say shit now. Everyone was against him for no reason last Summer! Now is movie is going to open with at least 35M+ so FUCK YEAH!

Dude, stop beating RR drum. Denzel opened. RR can`t open alone,OK? Nothing wrong with that cause 99% of actors out there can`t open for shit. RR is not the star and neevr will be but he can have a solid career if he accepts that he works the best as the strong lead`s co-lead or support.

Having Kanye music in your commericials is turning into a great strategy. Jarhead, Limitless, Social Network, and now Safe House.

Maybe there is something to that. Guru mentioned that it really will get the black audience interested in it as well. He said "urban" but really, it's black people. And there's nothing wrong with that.