CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Just now, Travod said:

I trust that humanity will realize that Singin' in the Rain farts on LLL lol

tbf, that's true of SINGIN' and almost any other movie.

edit: wait, I didn't mean for that to come across as shade. I meant SINGIN' is literally one of the greatest movies ever, that's all. :rofl: 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Travod said:

Because why not, for shits and gigs, since 2010, what BP noms/winners/whatever do you guys think "will be remembered" in X years? Then we can come back in X years and quote our posts and eat crow.

I want to include The Social Network because it's #2 all time, at one point #1, but I'm not so sure about people talking about it. It is at least moderately well agreed that it is the true BP of that year.

Going through the list of noms I'm actually struggling. Like WOWS, Gravity, Grand Budapest, Whiplash, and Mad Max. Those are my predicts. Gravity would be first to go.

2010: The Social Network, Black Swan, TS3, Inception, maybe True Grit (genre+hit), and yes, King's Speech (winner and a huge hit)

2011: The Help, Moneyball

2012: Argo (winner and big hit), Lincoln (classrooms forever), Django, Silver Linings (genre+hit)

2013: 12 Years, Gravity, Wolf of Wall Street

2014: Boyhood, Grand Budapest, Birdman (maybe), Selma (maybe)

2015: Spotlight, Mad Max, Martian and Revenant (genre+hit), maybe the Big Short or Bridge of Spies

But who knows? What does remembered even mean? I'll probably remember Whiplash and Selma and Bridge of Spies forever, but who knows if anyone else really will. Kinda arbitrary, I suppose.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

The only ones I'm 100% sure will still be talked about in 10+ years are Inception, Black Swan, Toy Story 3, Django Unchained, The Wolf of Wall Street, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, and The Revenant.

Mark Watney and his potatoes will live on forever.

11 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Hidden Figures will be played in schools for decades. It's gonna have a long life. Plus, easily the most commercially successful of the BP lot (Dom).

I told this story awhile back.  But some of the middle school students where my sister teaches went on a trip to see HF.  The whole time most either complained because they didn't like the movie.  Wanted to get more snacks.  Or were on their phones most of the time.  

It definitely seems like a film that should be shown in schools but that was pretty disheartening

• Like 1

Just now, Travod said:

I trust that humanity will realize that Singin' in the Rain farts on LLL lol

Not saying it's a better movie, but a well-made modern musical with 2 extremely likable leads will be a very popular date night movie for a long time. Not to mention its commercial success.

Just now, Telemachos said:

I know I throw shade at it quite a lot, but I'm not at all convinced of REVENANT's longevity.

I think it will, but only as "the movie that got Leo his win". And I could see the bear scene being parodied to death.