CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

I really hate how Moonlight is now thrown around by some people like some cheap movie that only won because of having a black and gay character.

I totally respect when someone thinks LLL or something else was better or more deserving... but the complete lack of respect for another movie, narrowing it down to one or two aspects of it is something noone who really likes movies and the art (and craft) of filmmaking should do so flippantly. When we demand the Oscars should not narrow it down to politics, maybe we shouldn't do that either and stay open to see the beauty of some of those filmmaking efforts beyond their social or political themes.

I really HATE how you're a homophobic racist if you don't like the film. Nah, it was just boring as hell.

#OscarsSoRigged #OscarsSoRigged #oscarsSoRigged would have been chanted if the screw up had gone the other way around.

Moonlight is a 100% political win and it's a justice that it was tainted by such an embarrassing scandal that's currently upstaging eevrything including the winners. 

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

At the end of the day its just just an insignificant award and a really insignificant event. Yes we all love the movies and we love the Oscars but really screwing up who won best picture in the grand scheme of what's really important in the world ranks about near the bottom.

Well said, it's made less than hurt locker so it's currently the least grossing best picture winner of oscar history.

It should shows how insignificant and out of touch the award is.

I look forward to the highest grossing film of all time in 2018 not getting best picture.

• Like 3

Honestly I think it's a good thing that Oscars retain their prestige by being a little "elitist with their choices..

You really wouldn't like them ending up like the Grammys where commercial success is the only thing that matters.

It's a big achievement having won an oscar and this mustn't change.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 3

It's time for Marvel and/or DC to invent a black superhero for Jenkins to direct cause otherwise it wouldn't be "look how progressive we are" political statement if he was given to direct any of 10000000000 white superhero movies. 

@filmlover LOL, justice for BBM when a movie about gay criminals wins while a movie about decent, hard-working gay people didn't. Some great message right there. 

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's time for Marvel and/or DC to invent a black superhero for Jenkins to direct cause otherwise it wouldn't be "look how progressive we are" political statement if he was given to direct any of 10000000000 white superhero movies. 

@filmlover LOL, justice for BBM when a movie about gay criminals wins while a movie about decent, hard-working gay people didn't. Some great message right there. 

Or how about you let a director showing promise not sully his name with superhero movies.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Shut the fuck up.

No I won't. You think throwing a bone like that is a good thing? Nope. It's still discrimination. They use female directors and blakc directors ONLY when it makes the studio look good. Casting a black director for Batman, Iron Man, etc is supporting diversity without drumming the "OMG, LOOK AT US!" political PR. Same goes for giving such a movie to a female director. But when they match gender and race, than it becomes an overblown news, neevrmind that those directors have to wait for ages for such opportunity to even open. It's true. deny it if you can but you can't. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

No I won't. You think throwing a bone like that is a good thing? Nope. It's still discrimination. They use female directors and blakc directors ONLY when it makes the studio look good. Casting a black director for Batman, Iron Man, etc is supporting diversity without drumming the "OMG, LOOK AT US!" political PR. Same goes for giving such a movie to a female director. But when they match gender and race, than it becomes an overblown news, neevrmind that those directors have to wait for ages for such opportunity to even open. It's true. deny it if you can but you can't. 

Image result for stand there in your wrongness gif

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

lol at valonquar pretending like he cares about women or black people.

I'm not but it's undeniable what studios do and how they use them to make themselves look good, even though what they do is limiting opportunities. I can point out the injustice without caring for social justice. 

Also, I'm not trolling. Am I unhappy that Moonlight won? Sure. Am I happy that it's a tainted win? Absolutely. So it isn't a total win for me but it's a pretty big one especially since the scandal upstaged all political speechifying that everyone forgot about in the wake of the epic fuck up. And that's a huuuge win. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Gonna apply occams razor...

there are many more good white male directors than black or women directors

• Like 1