CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I don't but it's undeniable what studios do and how they use them to make themselves look good, even though what they do is limiting opportunities. I can point out the injustice without caring for social justice. 

The fact that you admit without shame that you don't care about women or black people....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The fact that you admit without shame that you don't care about women or black people....

well maybe he is just conservative, they don't care about anyone but themselves (including white people)

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No I won't. You think throwing a bone like that is a good thing? Nope. It's still discrimination. They use female directors and blakc directors ONLY when it makes the studio look good. Casting a black director for Batman, Iron Man, etc is supporting diversity without drumming the "OMG, LOOK AT US!" political PR. Same goes for giving such a movie to a female director. But when they match gender and race, than it becomes an overblown news, neevrmind that those directors have to wait for ages for such opportunity to even open. It's true. deny it if you can but you can't. 

Or maybe they sign on directors to stories they relate to or care about?  As if the director doesn't, they aren't right for the movie?

I also think there should be more diversity in the technically fields of moviemaking, because it's lacking.  However you're being pretty outrageous and overdramatic.

Moonlight won because academy members liked Moonlight. This was a highly critically acclaimed film that was topping best of the year lists.  

This also wasnt rigged.  There's too many academy members to do so.  The preferential ballot lends itself to delivering surprise winners, even if there's a clear frontrunner.  It's why there was uncertainty in 2013s winner leading up the award, and it's why Spotlight won out of the blue.  

Moonlight is politically relevant for the times, but I can assure you people didn't just vote for it because of politics.  They voted for it because they liked it.  End of story.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Gonna apply occams razor...

there are many more good white male directors than black or women directors

There are also very successful Asian directors who, unlike above mentioned counterparts, don't whine 24-7 about not getting opportunities. Asians are real menschen. They make things happen. It's always whining and moping with women and black directors. History boo hoo, ism A, ism B, phobia A, phobia B, white people, male people, everyone's to blame cause director so and so isn't the Next Spielberg. Guess what? Nobody but Spielberg is Spielberg

Just now, Valonqar said:

There are also very successful Asian directors who, unlike above mentioned counterparts, don't whine 24-7 about not getting opportunities. Asians are real menschen. They make things happen. It's always whining and moping with women and black directors. History boo hoo, ism A, ism B, phobia A, phobia B, white people, male people, everyone's to blame cause director so and so isn't the Next Spielberg. Guess what? Nobody but Spielberg is Spielberg

No one wants to be the next Spielberg, they want to be the next J___s _a_e__n

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Moonlight won because of preferential voting, plain and simple. La La Land more than likely had more original #1 votes.

BP is the only award picked like this right? I'd love to see what the rest would look like using the same system. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Why would I care about freakin women and blakc people in the freakin overpaid movie industry? They don't have my sympathy at all. Their life problem is whether they'll get 5M per movie or 7M per movie, or, in JLaw case, 15M vs 20M. those are not real problems. Sorry, I don't care for their rights, but I can point out that studios use them whenever it suits them to improve their image. otherwise they don't care either but pretend that they do. I don't pretend. 

I've been staying away from political talk for a long time but now I'm gonna gloat that Moonlight win smacks of bad rigging and is apparently caught in the act. It's a 100% political win for a movie that belongs with Indies and nowhere else. It didn't win on a merit but on a political situation and political reaction that will be utterly irrelevant down the line when circumstances change. Most forgettable winner, mark my words.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

well maybe he is just conservative, they don't care about anyone but themselves (including white people)

Hey, I care about people regardless of race. They work hard on their own merits they deserve the best the world can offer them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I also think there should be more diversity in the technically fields of moviemaking, because it's lacking.  However you're being pretty outrageous and overdramatic.

Moonlight won because academy members liked Moonlight. This was a highly critically acclaimed film that was topping best of the year lists.  

This is the point, diversity is great if it's earned (I would say Moonlight is a perfect example of this). It's not good for its own sake though, otherwise we'd get to some ridiculous levels of giving undeserving people positions based on race/age/religion which is itself a form of discrimination. 

• Like 1

Why would I care about freakin women and blakc people in the freakin overpaid movie industry? They don't have my sympathy at all. Their life problem is whether they'll get 5M per movie or 7M per movie, or, in JLaw case, 15M vs 20M. those are not real problems. Sorry, I don't care for their rights, but I can point out that studios use them whenever it suits them to improve their image. otherwise they don't care either but pretend that they do. I don't pretend. 

I've been staying away from political talk for a long time but now I'm gonna gloat that Moonlight win smacks of bad rigging and is apparently caught in the act. It's a 100% political win for a movie that belongs with Indies and nowhere else. It didn't win on a merit but on a political situation and political reaction that will be utterly irrelevant down the line when circumstances change. Most forgettable winner, mark my words.

you're going on my ignore list. I have yet to see you contribute anything useful since I've been on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Or maybe they sign on directors to stories they relate to or care about?  As if the director doesn't, they aren't right for the movie?

This also wasnt rigged.  There's too many academy members to do so.  The preferential ballot lends itself to delivering surprise winners, even if there's a clear frontrunner.  It's why there was uncertainty in 2013s winner leading up the award, and it's why Spotlight won out of the blue.  

Moonlight is politically relevant for the times, but I can assure you people didn't just vote for it because of politics.  They voted for it because they liked it.  End of story.

It would have been end of story if the win had been legit. As it is, there was something else and the story about reading the winner from best Actress card is bullshit. 

If Moonlight won fair and square without the scandal, I wouldn't even post here. But it didn't, hence me gloating about the fact that it was a fishy win. Like winner like win.

Similar fishy business went into 12YS tying Gravity at PGA. Apparently, these political race movies can't win straight like other movies. there always has to be some wheeling dealing.