aabattery

The Favourite | 23rd November, 2018 | 𝓝𝓲𝓬𝓱𝓸𝓡π“ͺ𝓼 𝓗𝓸𝓾𝓡𝓽 | Period Drama by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer)

18 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

This looks a lot like Lanthimos's most accessible film to date, but I'm not sure how far that could really take it. I could *maybe* see Shape of Watr numbers if everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, goes right for it.

I see it landing in the $30-40M range tbh.

Saw this a couple weeks back at a film festival.Β  It's fabulously diva, and I already love Rachel Weisz, so I was sold on her.Β  The real surprise to me was Olivia Colman, whom I sadly wasn't already familiar with.Β  She nearly steals the whole thing as the Queen.Β  Stone is amusing and gets to parlay her smart-alecky schtick into a somewhat alternative historical tone that only Lanthimos can generate, but not sure how this will appeal across the market.Β  Still a very acquired taste.

Β 

Sits between The Lobster (still his greatest) and Sacred Deer for me.Β  But if you're looking for a film that takes apart the conventions of the typical historical period piece...then this is definitely for you!

Β 

P.S. There seems to be an artistic trend lately with dividing films into "chapters."Β  This one also does that.Β