aabattery

The Favourite | 23rd November, 2018 | 𝓝𝓲𝓬𝓱𝓸𝓡π“ͺ𝓼 𝓗𝓸𝓾𝓡𝓽 | Period Drama by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer)

1 minute ago, Hades said:

RIP FOX Searchlight...

Cause of Death.....Disney.

Β 

Save us Comcast...

If it was under Comcast, I'd say Searchlight would be in more danger than if under Disney. Focus basically follows the same role that Searchlight does, and I don't see why Comcast would want to keep two of the same thing.

18 minutes ago, Hades said:

RIP FOX Searchlight...

Cause of Death.....Disney.

Β 

Save us Comcast...

Please stop fear mongering about Disney shuttering Fox Searchlight since Bob Iger mentioned he would keep it in business.

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

If it was under Comcast, I'd say Searchlight would be in more danger than if under Disney. Focus basically follows the same role that Searchlight does, and I don't see why Comcast would want to keep two of the same thing.

At least Comcast actually gives a damn about small films. Illumination and Dreamworks will co-exist fine on the animation side.Β Why not Focus and Searchlight? More is better.

Β 

1 minute ago, manny1234 said:

Please stop fear mongering about Disney shuttering Fox Searchlight since Bob Iger mentioned he would keep it in business.

:hahaha:Β and You believe him. Don't be gullible. He is just saying what everyone whats to hear. He probably said the same thing about Miramax. I bet he saysΒ he will keep Blue Sky animation lol. They don't need or want Searchlight. We all know what they really wanted. Searchlight is just part of the package deal they are stuck with. They will pretend to care then dump it in a few years. Disney has to make room for Maleficient 3 and PriceΒ Β Charming movies....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StevenG said:

That is because you are one of those immature fanboys who think that destroying the world/killing humanity = stakes.

Emotional/psychological stakes involving two fleshed out, complex charactersΒ who work at a McDonalds can be infinitely more devastating and emotionally resonant than aΒ generic rent-a-MCUCBM# 127 featuring the obliteration of 5 billion faceless human beings.

Personal dramas don't matter. Only skybeams matter. It is known.

The bawdy-period-piece thing makes my mind go to The Draughtsman's Contract which is one of my favorites. No idea if this can sustain the tone for the entire runtime but I'd love to see it try. Love seeing Stone branching out and Colman getting what looks to be a showcase.Β 

You would learn more about the last 40 years of human history by analysing all the superhero movies (and popular movies at large)Β than the AMPAS ones, which resonate less and less with people.

Sorry to bring only but facts.

Facts are brutal and not very polite.

They make people furious.

Lately I have learned so much with AMPAS movies, for example, that all the -isms areΒ wrong. & bad & evil.

I feel like a better man after seeing an AMPAS ready movie, changed profoundly to my core, purified and cleansed.

These lessons are so important that less and less people care to see these movies with those juvenile, pre-digested and pontificatingΒ lectures.

Gullible & easy to please people love them tho.

I blame Trump and Putin for the lack of recent success of these movies by the way.

Frak Trump.

Edited by The Futurist

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You would learn more about the last 40 years of human history by analysing all the superhero movies (and popular movies at large)Β than the AMPAS ones, which resonate less and less with people.ο»Ώ

Bad thread or are you callingΒ Yorgos Lanthimos The favourite an Ampas movie ?

46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Gullible & easy to please people love them tho.

Β 

Speaking of which have you seen Nathan for you episode when he make people believe they are seeing a theater play when they are simply looking at regular people doing nothing in a bar ?

Β 

http://www.comedycentral.com.au/nathan-for-you/videos/nathan-for-you-305-clips

Β 

good example of what you are talking about.

Β 

The bullshit episode on high end restaurant being an other one, or that experiment:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/10/23/358324106/don-t-mock-these-organic-food-experts-for-praising-mcdonald-s

Β 

Presenting itself as being good would it be brand like Coke/Ferrari/Apple/Marvel/Star Wars scoreΒ activating a part of the brain or presenting itself like high art obviously influence people Futurist.

Β 

But every adult must know all of this by now.

Edited by Barnack

Iger is like the Michael Bay of Studio heads....Big and over budget films, mass market, merchandise, action figures, explosions. Small films are scary to him....Not buying his BS about keeping Searchlight for the long run

17 minutes ago, Hades said:

Iger is like the Michael Bay of Studio heads....Big and over budget films, mass market, merchandise, action figures, explosions. Small films are scary to him....Not buying his BS about keeping Searchlight for the long run

Iger is just an employee and is getting close to 70.... Do we have a striving Searchlight in 2050 is notΒ  fully on him, trusting him or not.

Β 

My feeling is that Searchlight has a much better chance to survive and do be active than Fox studio, (that will be sell I would imagine, maybe to an apple/amazon/netflixΒ or other one wanting to create a lot of content), they provide Disney with something they do not have already a bit more. Could even see getting more budgets.

Β 

Not sure they will commit to a theatrical release for every of their movies, but depending on what their streaming look like it could have a really bright future. I imagine it does not make sense to make 200m streaming movie, but Searchlight movies yes.

Β 

Previous iteration of Disney made good money letting the Weinstein creatingΒ library value at Miramax (that they sold 10 time the price they bought it).

Β 

Fox Searchlight make it easy to not have any brand confusion for them, build value in a type of movie they do not have much right now, would probably make it easy to not have those in their big demand with exhibition group and to have a separate ROI internally not hurting their result, I have no problem believing him when he say he has strong intention to keep it open.

Β 

21th Century Fox, Inc too.... that an other story. But the fact Fox is getting bought by one of the studio without a specialty division is indeed a good sign for Searchlight I would think (but the being the best would have probably replaced/influenced the division of the acquirer more than the other way around)

Edited by Barnack

5 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

The minor distinction between the two is that Focus probably releases more slightly moreΒ traditional Oscar bait/prestige like The Danish Girl, Suffragette and Theory of Everything type stuff. Fox Searchlight more so the indie comedies. Either way, they're both getting vastlyΒ outbid by Netflix and Amazon these days for hot items. And riskier stuff is going to A24, Neon and newer companies.

Why is The Futurist so mad ? His darling Marvel is killing it at the BO. It's a mine gold.Β  What sucks is that Marvel replaced box officeΒ  actors. whoever is not in a cbm has a hard time at the BO.Β  But Marvel made some stars. Hemsworth is scoring roles on the back of his Marvel success

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why is The Futurist so mad ? His darling Marvel is killing it at the BO. It's a mine gold.Β 

Because we can't live in a world where there are any other places to eat at besides McDonalds.Β