FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I cannot believe people are making the western/superhero comparison to be honest.

Visually and graphically, first, the Western is VERY limited, same clothes, same sets ( can you recognize a Western town from one another  ? I sure can't), same natural sets ( hello Monument Valley!), same weapons (shotguns, Smith & Wessons), horses, sheriffs , stetsons, , John Wayne, duels ...

Western can only change the tone of the story but it s always the same in too many areas.

Iron Man 

Thor

X Men

Batman

Superman

Green Lantern

Black Panther

Cap America

etc etc

etc

Besides the superpower & funny clothes, these characters allow to explore more worlds and stories than any western.

There are plenty of modern westerns that don't follow that ruleset. No genre is defined by the type of weapons it has, or the buildings etc.

58 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I actually laughed when I read RTH's numbers and realized that pretty much everyone here predicted these numbers as soon as Deadline gave us their numbers.

Deadline is so good.

:qotd:

They're almost predictable at this point, especially with how early they announce the estimated numbers. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

They're almost predictable at this point, especially with how early they announce the often underpredicted estimated numbers. 

They (almost) always only report the Friday number that would lead to their weekend forecast being correct. 

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no i mean the thing that i said. if we go to Metz' four stages (experimental, classic, parody, deconstruction) of genre then i'd say the western didn't even get to stage 3 until cat ballou which is 30 years deep into the genre.

A little unfair though due to Westerns practically being as old as film.  Parody and deconstruction weren't nearly prevelant in the time as they are now, nor do they really represent actual reflection in themes, nor are they real indications of good technique or quality.

Parody and deconstruction are simply a lot more popular to do in a movie now than it was in the 50s.  Plus I assume the comic book genre starts with Superman.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

A little unfair though due to Westerns practically being as old as film.  Parody and deconstruction weren't nearly prevelant in the time as they are now, nor do they really represent actual reflection in themes, nor are they real indications of good technique or quality.

Parody and deconstruction are simply a lot more popular to do in a movie now than it was in the 50s.

i know. you basically repeated what i said in the first place. glad we got there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

They (almost) always only report the Friday number that would lead to their weekend forecast being correct. 

Their numbers are usually off by 4 or 5 million though. I think releasing the numbers so early in the day, is a large reason why obviously. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Lol, comic book movies have been going since Superman in the 80s.  X-Men in 2001 if you're being generous.

There's also millions who have valued Westerns more.  Just because they aren't big in new pop culture doesn't lessen the value of the greats.

The 80's barely had any superhero movies.

Westerns outnumbered all other films combined until the 1960's.

Ultimately it comes down to personal taste. I respect High Noon and the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly but concepts like the Mutant Registration Act, covert government infiltration of Hydra, V for Vendetta's rebellion, the War on Terrorism explored in TDK, etc are things that carry more weight in the times we're living in. I can watch these movies with my children and relate them to conflicts we see in major news stories.

Plus they're just plain fun to watch if you're the imaginative and idealist type. :redcapes:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Plus I assume the comic book genre starts with Superman.

Sure, but that's one movie. there's a few outliers but the kickstart of a genre movement is a whole different thing. if i were to try and apply Metz' genre stages to superhero movies it'd be like this

stage 1 experimental - the 90s stuff, darkman, the shadow, the phantom, blade schumacher's batmen. no one really knows what to do with it. figuring it out.

stage 2 classic - 00s the standard bearers. raimi's spider-men, singer's x-men, nolan's batmen, iron man etc.

stage 3/4 parody/deconstruction - right now. as i said the process speeds up in the modern age so these two pretty much get lumped together. deadpool/logan probably clearest examples. though looking inward at tropes is pretty common now.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

There are plenty of modern westerns that don't follow that ruleset. No genre is defined by the type of weapons it has, or the buildings etc.

The point is the Western has too many conceptual restrains which is why modern audiences tire of them so easily.

Compare that to Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, and Winter Soldier.

Aside from a few similar beats, tropes and structure the films don't feel identical like most westerns.

The spaghetti western is the only incredibly distinct subgenre of Westerns but for the most part they blend into each other seemlessly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

stage 3/4 parody/deconstruction - right now. as i said the process speeds up in the modern age so these two pretty much get lumped together. deadpool/logan probably clearest examples. though looking inward at tropes is pretty common now.

Since Winter Soldier also contained various elements of a spy thriller film, would it be considered deconstruction?

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wonder if Logan is going to match the 35 OD of DOFP, and the 90M weekend. That's the bar I'm setting it at right now, I'm going all in :)

DOFP was memorial day weekend. Logan needs 38M+ to hit 90M.

• Like 2

Looking good for Logan.

I think Get Out should do higher than just 6 million - I think 8-10 million is much more likely, judging by the number of sold-out showings I'm reading about on Twitter.

The Shack should do better than expected as well - I read a few reports of sold out showings, and it's performing like gangbusters in my local theater in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (a very conservative area). When I was looking at the reserved seating, The Shack was almost sold out for one showing and out-performing Logan (!!!), which was still doing very well.

Edited by rolandka19
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, rolandka19 said:

Looking good for Logan.

I think Get Out should do higher than just 6 million - I think 8-10 million is much more likely, judging by the number of sold-out showings I'm reading about on Twitter.

The Shack should do better than expected as well - I read a few reports of sold out showings, and it's performing like gangbusters in my local theater in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (a very conservative area). When I was looking at the reserved seating, The Shack was almost sold out for one showing and out-performing Logan (!!!), which was still doing very well.

Cool. Welcome to the forums.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

My half-serious, anecdotal parking lot report combined with the typical West Coast bump for critically aclaimed SH movies suggest an 85+ m OW for Logan.

Science, bitch! :apocalypse:

BKB would be proud.

• Like 3

I suspected the Shack would be this year's very successful, faith-based movie, but it was hard to actually predict it's BO. I wasn't sure if it would do as well as Heaven Is For Real