DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some observations:

I was the only one laughing at a joke, and it was one of the few times I laughed in the movie!

Samuel L Jackson's last few lines are AMAZING.

Jason Mitchell and Shea Wigham were the most impressive actors. I was quite surprised with how good they were.

TAPATALK SPOILER BUFFER

Reveal hidden contents

END TAPA SPOILER BUFFER

TRAILERS:

The Mummy

Life

Alien

King Arthur

GEOSTORM (the trailer isn't funny on rewatches, btw)

CHIPs

GOTG

Ghost in the Shell

My audience of seniors got scared shitless by Tom Cruise's resurrection in The Mummy trailer :lol: They also liked the trailers for CHIPs and GOTG quite a bit.

Is it the same I AM GROOT! DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON trailer that is with every single freaking movie now? Because I am so sick of that.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm still baffled by how well Tarzan did. That shit would be the worst movie of 2016 if not for Suicide Squad.

You really don't know how? Brand name(still gets you something) plus:

alexander-skarsgard-as-tarzan-4k-pic-120

The infamous V.

Spoiler

It wasn't a bad movie though, just mostly forgettable. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Kong really hits 20 million today, it'd end at 48 OW if it follows Godzilla's IM, 51 if it follows Pacific Rim, and 53.5 if it follows Logan, for reference. 

If it hits 20M OD, the previews-to-OD ratio will be way lower than Logan, right? (I haven't done the maths). 

I think it might hit 55M.

3 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Denial :depp:

No, it's just like they underestimated Logan heavily last weekend. I wasn't in denial then, i'm not in denial now. 
I'm happy for every Dollar that movie makes. I'm just not buying those early numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Legend of Tarzan still flopped and lost money though, it just had better than expected legs. Not sure why everyone keeps bringing up its performance, as beating expectations.

I don't know about that, that a close enough case that we would need to know the budget to stipulate.

It generated around 152.2 million in rental, 126,643,061 * .53 + (230,100,000 - 46,152,613) * .40 + 46,152,613 * .25

If the box office was around 40% of the movie total revenue, that would mean generating around 380.5 million, it did shoot in the UK and spend money of special effect in Quebec, both place with really good tax credit program.

Would not surprise me if that movie total cost was below 370 million and turned a profit, it was almost certainly out of flop territory (not loosing a large sum of money).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Not a fair comparison. Jackson King had Wednesday opening 

True but considering all the doom and gloom everyone expected from this movie the last few weeks, it has to be considered a win.

Just now, That One Guy said:

janet-jackson-why-you-mad-gif.gif?w=500&

I think he knows if Kong does $55M OW, and BATB does $150M-$175M OW, PR may do under $45M OW, and have less than Kong OW, DOM, and WW.

Oh, I suppose I should comment on the 3D. It's not something you should avoid, but it also isn't anything you should go out of your way to seek. There's a few good popouts, and it looks cool when water/blood/liquid hits the lens. The 3D in the trailers for GOTG and GITS were better than Kong's entire movie to be honest.

• Like 1