DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

Some observations:

I was the only one laughing at a joke, and it was one of the few times I laughed in the movie!

Samuel L Jackson's last few lines are AMAZING.

Jason Mitchell and Shea Wigham were the most impressive actors. I was quite surprised with how good they were.

TAPATALK SPOILER BUFFER

Spoiler

John Goodman's death had some of the worst editing I've seen in quite a while. I didn't even know he was the one that got eaten until his hat flew.

END TAPA SPOILER BUFFER

TRAILERS:

The Mummy

Life

Alien

King Arthur

GEOSTORM (the trailer isn't funny on rewatches, btw)

CHIPs

GOTG

Ghost in the Shell

My audience of seniors got scared shitless by Tom Cruise's resurrection in The Mummy trailer :lol: They also liked the trailers for CHIPs and GOTG quite a bit.

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Legend of Tarzan still flopped and lost money though, it just had better than expected legs. Not sure why everyone keeps bringing up its performance, as beating expectations.

Because it did beat expectations. Expectations were of a major bomb opening to maybe 25M and finishing around 60 or so due to Dory going strong and other competition. But it opened well, had great legs and did well OS as well. Doubled the production budget in the end. If that isn't exceeding expectations, then what is?

Everyone expected it to be the bomb of summer, THR had even set it up perfectly with a number of articles in the leadup to release, but then it did well and they never got to write the "Tarzan loses loads of money" article.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Oh.. interesting..

And don't take Deadline's report too seriously. Their Kong at 53m and Logan at 35m is based on matinees. Last week Logan was underestimated with 72m projection.

Agreed. I'm hoping for a better drop for Logan based on evening shows.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Because it did beat expectations. Expectations were of a major bomb opening to maybe 25M and finishing around 60 or so due to Dory going strong and other competition. But it opened well, had great legs and did well OS as well. Doubled the production budget in the end. If that isn't exceeding expectations, then what is?

Everyone expected it to be the bomb of summer, THR had even set it up perfectly with a number of articles in the leadup to release, but then it did well and they never got to write the "Tarzan loses loads of money" article.

Oh okay, fair point. Kong is probably going to do much better anyway, and it sounds like it's a better film as well.

If Kong really hits 20 million today, it'd end at 48 OW if it follows Godzilla's IM, 51 if it follows Pacific Rim or Jurassic World, and 53.5 if it follows Logan, for reference. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I'm not buying it, yet.

I an already see what's going on. Kong, as a very old franchise, doing better in matinees with older audiences than logan last week, but probably won't hold pace at night.
We'll see.

Denial :depp:

• Like 1