DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

:kitschjob: I think they sent wind at my face in that scene and the chair moved a bit. :kitschjob: 

hahaha, that sounds fun.  Maybe I'll go see a movie in 4DX one of these days after I already see it in regular format, just to experience it in a different way.

Logan is already a hit. It's a brutal R rated movie with a budget of 97 million and NO 3D.

It has made 305 million worldwide so far, and probably it's going to be at 450 million worldwide, by the end of this weekend. 500 million worldwide is a lock. Whatever it makes after getting that number, is a plus. 

Kong is far from being a hit, given its huge budget ( not even counting marketing ). It'll be a long way until the movie is considered profitable. Japan and China will have to save it again, just like what happened to Warcraft and Pacific Rim. It may be opening above expectations, but that means nothing if the budget is still insanely high, lol.

Let's hope these guys give a reasonable 100 million budget for this kind of flick. 

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

BATB isn't doing $400M. I do think it will open big and maybe edge past TJB because of that but it ain't getting that far. 

TJB had like 100% on RT at the same point and BATB had like 68%. It might end up rotten, and I have a feeling the public might agree when they finally see it.

Jungle Books multi was 3.53.  BATB doesn't need to come anywhere near that to reach $400m

BO is predicting a $150m opening and a $400m finish - that's only a 2.66 multiplier

Maleficent's reviews weren't nearly as good as BATB and it had a 3.47 multiplier

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Logan is already a hit. It's a brutal R rated movie with a budget of 97 million and NO 3D.

It has made 305 million worldwide so far, and probably it's going to be at 450 million worldwide, by the end of this weekend. 500 million worldwide is a lock. Whatever it makes after getting that number, is a plus. 

Kong is far from being a hit, given its huge budget ( not even counting marketing ). It'll be a long way until the movie is considered profitable. Japan and China will have to save it again, just like what happened to Warcraft and Pacific Rim. It may be opening above expectations, but that means nothing if the budget is still insanely high, lol.

Let's hope these guys give a reasonable 100 million budget for this kind of flick. 

King Kong with the kind of spectacle and VFX it needs would be hard pressed to be made for $100m. 

While the biggest expense in Logan is probably Jackman's paycheck.

BATB is going to be so fun to watch next weekend.  All signs point to 140 plus with the outside potential to see a 150-160.  We haven't had an event film like this in months.  I have a feeling the preview number is going to be ridiculous but then play like a family film throughout the weekend.  Buckle up fam.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yes yes, I agree! They need to seriously look at the budgets going forward. Though, I think they're pretty set on what they want to do through GvsKong. 450m WW will easily happen for Kong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Jungle Books multi was 3.53.  BATB doesn't need to come anywhere near that to reach $400m

BO is predicting a $150m opening and a $400m finish - that's only a 2.66 multiplier

Maleficent's reviews weren't nearly as good as BATB and it had a 3.47 multiplier

Plus, that film was released in the summer of 2014, against films like The Amazing Spiderman 2, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past & How to Train Your Dragon 2. And that outgrossed all those films.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

BATB opening day > Dunkirk domestic?

?

Nolan got $20m + 20% on that. I don't see a movie about Germans kicking ass doing so well. This ain't going to be no interstellar or inception.  

I'm in on BatB OD > than DK Total. 

What's it going to cost? Could be his first bomb.

$20.2M Friday, could head for a $52M-$55M OW. Good for Kong due to low expectations and no hype, may be bad due to its budget but will make up for it worldwide, I think if it opened in August, it'd open at least $20M+ higher. Wonder if PR will underperform now, given that Logan had a $88M OW, Kong having a $52M-$55M OW, and Beast doing a $140M-$170M OW.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Cinderella with better reviews missed a 3 multiplier. Maleficent had summer weekdays

400 M is a big thing. It could still get a 125 M OW and a 375 M finish 

• Like 1

Hollywood Reporter also upped the estimated international opening for Kong...

Yesterday they said "expected $65m", now today they've said "low to mid 80's".

A $135m worldwide opening should be good for $350-370m worldwide.

Then comes China... which should be over $500m total. 

Hit.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

LB domestic > Dunkirk domestic?

IN

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

175/525 is where I see BATB going.

I was thinking it would hit 525, but I don't think the reviews are rave enough.

I also think your OW is a bit high.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

$20.2M Friday, could head for a $52M-$55M OW. Good for Kong due to low expectations and no hype, may be bad due to its budget but will make up for it worldwide, I think if it opened in August, it'd open at least $20M+ higher. Wonder if PR will underperform now, given that Logan had a $88M OW, Kong having a $52M-$55M OW, and Beast doing a $140M-$170M OW.

I actually think WB should've just kept King Arthur in March (since they've likely already written it off anyway) and put Kong on August 4. But those weren't my choices to make.