franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think he was talking about the subject. Rape, pedophilia and racism are all subjects being discussed nowadays.

If you can make a joke about anything, then you can make a joke about racism. I mean, how the hell can you make jokes about rape, pedophilia and NOT a joke about racism? 

If making a joke about rape doesn't make you a rapist, then making a joke about racism doesn't make you a racist. Let's be fair. What was Roseanne Barr's tweet that got her fired?  If so, I'm pretty sure she can apologise ( if she still hasn't ) and be a better person just like Gunn probably "changed" after 10 years, right?

What pedophilia jokes did James Gunn make this year? Roseanne called a black woman a racist slur this year. She didn't make a joke,  she called a woman a racist slur.  Stop lying about it being a joke. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 5

very interested to see how this turns out... wasn't expecting Bautista to be as vocal as he is, or Pratt to even comment. IMO, it's not over until Feige finally sends out a statement, but I'm not betting on Gunn coming back either

Roseanne had said any number of horrible things that were brought up constantly and she wasn't fired until she said something racist in the present. Lotta intellectual dishonesty to make this a "both sides" issue

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

What pedophilia jokes did James Gunn make this year? Roseanne called a black woman a racist slur this year. 

The year is irrelevant.  They're all disgusting.  

Why did Roseanne call the black woman a racist slur? What was the post? I have no twitter, so I would like to see the tweet and understand the whole context. 

Then again, not hiring Gunn would be easier than firing him after all these years. I mean, didn't Disney hire a woman beater to play Thanos? 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think he was talking about the subject. Rape, pedophilia and racism are all subjects being discussed nowadays.

If you can make a joke about anything, then you can make a joke about racism. I mean, how the hell can you make jokes about rape, pedophilia and NOT a joke about racism? 

If making a joke about rape doesn't make you a rapist, then making a joke about racism doesn't make you a racist. Let's be fair. What was Roseanne Barr's tweet that got her fired?  If so, I'm pretty sure she can apologise ( if she still hasn't ) and be a better person just like Gunn probably "changed" after 10 years, right?

Well, the difference of course being it wasn't a joke about racism, but a racist joke. Comparing a Black woman to an Ape is racist, and it is a joke. being a joke doesn't make it less racist. Because the inherent humor in the joke being "black people look like Apes" only works by the joke dehumanizing a group of people and equating them to animals. It doesn't help that instead of owning up to it, and acknowledging it was wrong, she blamed Ambien, and has continued to defend herself and refusing to take responsibility.

There is a clear and distinct contrast here. Gunn did apologize, and has shown he changed. Barr complained and moaned and blamed everyone besides herself for what happened and clearly doesn't want to grow from this.

• Like 4

There’s a difference between joking about something and targeting a specific person with a racial slur. 

There’s a difference between tasteless comments years before being employed by a certain company and making racial slurs at the same time as being employed by a certain company. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chewy said:

Roseanne had said any number of horrible things that were brought up constantly and she wasn't fired until she said something racist in the present. Lotta intellectual dishonesty to make this a "both sides" issue

A lot of conservatives middle name is intellectual dishonesty.

The only thing that myself and people who obviously agree with Roseanne that black people are Apes can agree on is this. Disney knew that she thought that black people were apes before they hired her,  why did they act shocked when she said it again?

Just now, RandomCat said:

Well, the difference of course being it wasn't a joke about racism, but a racist joke. Comparing a Black woman to an Ape is racist, and it is a joke. being a joke doesn't make it less racist. Because the inherent humor in the joke being "black people look like Apes" only works by the joke dehumanizing a group of people and equating them to animals. It doesn't help that instead of owning up to it, and acknowledging it was wrong, she blamed Ambien, and has continued to defend herself and refusing to take responsibility.

There is a clear and distinct contrast here. Gunn did apologize, and has shown he changed. Barr complained and moaned and blamed everyone besides herself for what happened and clearly doesn't want to grow from this.

yeah he changed as soon as he was hired to direct a big budget movie. He made those comments at 44. He wasn't exactly a dumb kid. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

honestly, Gunn has many times perpetuated this outrage culture that brought him down. If they exact same tweets had been from someone else he likely would have been one of the ones out there with a pitchfork, so it's easy to not feel too sorry for him. 

And he is already I would image rich enough and big enough to find work outside the family friendly Disney.

But Gunn personal case itself is not really the issue for most people commenting here (outside maybe for is friend/family coming to is defense), the precedents it set is quite dangerous. It is the social norm being set that worry people.

By 2030, if progress goes well and we make social equality / realization / grow, a lot of what is seem good raunchy humors will became unacceptable by then, who will be able to write a Family Guy episode, South Park or a Deadpool movie that will have never made jokes 15 year's before that were on the good side of the line then but not anymore ?

Those people jobs is often exactly about finding, redefining, going over the acceptable lines.

Louis CK child molester/racism monologue on SNL in 2015 was great when he did it, one day it could become unacceptable, to go back in time when it will be the case would be imo an obvious error. 

Disney is already really a cookie cutter type of extremely safe stuff, one that make it rather obvious why they would fire Gunn even for old comments because of the image they need to keep. That would not be a big problem if they would have stayed their own rather small part of the industry, has they become bigger and bigger (with a spike when they will get Fox), that become worrisome about how risk free the mainstream artistic output could become.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A lot of conservatives middle name is intellectual dishonesty.

The only thing that myself and people who obviously agree with Roseanne that black people are Apes can agree on is this. Disney knew that she thought that black people were apes before they hired her,  why did they act shocked when she said it again?

Did they ? They acted so soon and with what looked pre-packaged response that they acted like they expected it, had already a PR response written knowing chance were high it would happen.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Name one person who called him a dumb kid? Nobody has said that. Not one person. 

Well you see, when people say he grew and changed, they obviously mean he was a dumb kid. And not a dumb adult who got better. Because as we all know, once you hit adult hood you can never change and be better than who you were.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Like many said you can certainly make a joke about racism (watch a Dave Chapelle show or the latest Chris Rock, it is like 20+% of the material), about 9/11, about rape, etc...

Make a racist joke that is quite different and much more edgy, if you cannot install the feeling that it is not motivated by actual racism.

Just now, Jmart said:

The joke that got her fired was, “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj”.

That’s NOT a joke about racism. That’s a joke about Valerie Jarett’s skin color and how she looks similar to an ape. That’s a racist joke at VJ’s expense.

Roseanne never should’ve been hired back in the first place. All Disney wanted was the ratings from Trump fans, and they got them.

Now they are letting Trump fans control Marvel movies. 

This just solidifies that they are going to decimate what makes Fox an interesting Studio. You cannot have Deadpool making any sort of edgy pedophilia or rape jokes under Disney because if they allow that then they are hypocrites.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Now they are letting Trump fans control Marvel movies. 

This just solidifies that they are going to decimate what makes Fox an interesting Studio. You cannot have Deadpool making any sort of edgy pedophilia or rape jokes under Disney because if they allow that then they are hypocrites.

While I wouldn’t sound the alarms just yet, this is setting a dangerous precedent (and the whole Twitter mob mentalility really) that can’t lead anywhere good.

Edited by Jmart

18 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Aren't there White Apes too? I mean, I hope people stop associating apes to black people. I don't know how does the Law work in USA, but here where I live, Roseanne's tweet ( if she really wrote that ) wouldn't be considered racism, but insult. In order to be considered racism, she would have to say all black people are apes, because that would be a generalization of the entire race. Then again, there are white apes, so she would have been racist to white people too?

This is a very comple issue. That's not to justify what she said. I think she deserved being fired, just like I think Gunn deserved to be fired, being irrelevant when he made those jokes. Even if Roseanne apologised, she still deserved to be fired.

Gunn shouldn't have been hired. Brolin ( didn't he beat Diane Lane? ) shouldn't have been fired. Victor Salva ( a convicted rapist ) shouldn't have been hired to work after what happened. Same thing with Polanski and many others. Firing Gunn and keeping others, this is my problem with the whole thing. However, that doesn't mean I think they should have been fired ( or not hired ) first and then Gunn.

Disney already fired Gunn, so I guess he won't be called back. He'll still find work in Hollywood. If Victor Salva still works, then anybody else does. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

Blaze, in America, the terms “Ape”, “Monkey” (I’m sure there are others) have been historically used as racist slurs against black people.

No one has ever called a white person an ape or a monkey in a derogatory manner because no one ever thinks of white apes.

Edited by Jmart
  • Like 4