franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Deadline was bang on with the Ant Man Quantamania tracking. They said 120M four day and it hit that. 

Now, i think Ant Man Q could have done more if reviews were better. So i take this tracking for the Guardians as the floor. I expect good reviews and good movie will boost sales

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Curious that even distributors are saying the interest is lower than expect due meh marketing campaign 

I honestly don´t know what Marvel is expecting to just drop tv spots with actual new scenes, money shots and premiere the damn movie already since it´s done 

We all know the spoilers are a real thing, they even shot a lot of finales to avoid leaks, but we´re not in 2021 anymore when everyone trusted MCU, they have to make it clear the movie is good, not dropping reviews 36 hours before previews like they´re doing for years now 

Edited by ThomasNicole

The critics had kid gloves with Taika for T:L&T and arguably with Gunn for TSS. Likely will have the same for Gunn with GOTG3 even if it's mediocre.

I'm not an anti-critics person, quite the reverse. But there's no doubt that on aggregate they have favourites and these are definitely 2 of them. I suspect Gunn would need a succession in a row to get poor ratings.

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The critics had kid gloves with Taika for T:L&T and arguably with Gunn for TSS. Likely will have the same for Gunn with GOTG3 even if it's mediocre.

I'm not an anti-critics person, quite the reverse. But there's no doubt that on aggregate they have favourites and these are definitely 2 of them. I suspect Gunn would need a succession in a row to get poor ratings.

Thor Love and Thunder is almost rotten... TSS is an incredible movie. This critics glove thing or them being suddenly too harsh as some have alluded to needs to end. Most good movies get positive reviews most shitty movies get shitty reviews. Love and Thunder by no means have good reviews just because it´s barely fresh. 6,4 average rating is horrible. Gunn makes good movies that´s why his movies get good reviews. If Vol 3 is shit then the  critics will give him negative reviews. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Thor Love and Thunder is almost rotten... TSS is an incredible movie. This critics glove thing or them being suddenly too harsh as some have alluded to needs to end. Most good movies get positive reviews most shitty movies get shitty reviews. Love and Thunder by no means have good reviews just because it´s barely fresh. 6,4 average rating is horrible. Gunn makes good movies that´s why his movies get good reviews. If Vol 3 is shit then the  critics will give him negative reviews. 

All things considered, a 6.4 average rating actually isn’t too bad. That’s higher than TDW

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

TSS is an incredible movie. 

Okay there's a balance to be had between the subjective and objective means of assessing movies here but ultimately.....objectively TSS contains a 40 minute tangent that operates as an entirely separate act of the film that literally doesn't need to be there, has nothing to do with the main plot of the film and changes the pace of the film.

Also the whole film is largely repeating the plot of his first (mainstream) film. And he'd repeat the plot again immediately in Peacemaker. If I had a quarter for every major release James Gunn made about a hivemind entity with a disgusting centrepiece and lots of sentinels that killed people on touch and completely change the way they behave making them uncanny parasite people but that this was played amid largely laughs rather than horror while a bunch of misfits ran around incompetently bumbling their way into fighting it and finally being victorious more by luck than judgement I'd only have 75c but it's damn weird it happened three times. 

You can like that and not care about the fact it is a tangent because you think its full of cool stuff. You can not care Gunn is prone to repeat himself. You can think neither of those things have anything to do with the quality of the film.

BUT it is something that 9 times out of 10 a critic is going to severely criticise under normal circumstances. 

And Thor L&T had no business getting better scores than Eternals and AMWQ. It is a rank poor film with very few qualities that a critic is going to be generous towards under normal circumstances. It's problems are very, very obvious. 6.4 is a ludicrously generous average for that film.

And again, I'm a guy who largely hate bagging on critics. All I'm saying is that any one time there are a handful of chosen ones.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

If this only does $130 mil that is a bit of a disappointment. The Guardians are beloved by audiences, and even if it dips in attendance from Vol 2 opening, the six years of inflation should make up for it. I think low end, $140-150m though it’s worth noting that with people becoming disenchanted with the MCU’s recent output it definitely can have an adverse affect on future titles, since common people aren’t only judging Guardians 3 by it’s predecessors, but likely also Quantumania and Thor 4.

EDIT: and while I have a lot of faith in Gunn to deliver a good film, it should be noted Guardians 3 somehow ending up disliked could have a butterfly effect on his DCU and Superman film. He’s got a lot more riding on this film than meets the eye.

Edited by Mango