franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You mean Solo?

Rogue One was pre-The Last Jedi.

Its a very old joke.

Back when Rogue One came out, someone here (i dont remember who) argued with great detail why Rogue One despite its gross was not an event. It was funny and it stuck with me 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Then quality fell off, and now some people appear to have just started to check out.

I think this is pretty much the whole shebang. 

Issue being that the entire saga central concept may make it difficult to recover that quality to previous sterling levels.   

But stand-alone good movies should still be able to go respectable grosses when compared to saga 1, perhaps with more muted openings and higher legs than if franchise hype remained elevated.

• Like 2

One of the biggest strength within all of that interconnectivity and all that was that anyone could go watch a MCU movie and at least have a good time. Now that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Like Ant-Man 3 lacked everything a Phase 3 movie had as positives

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel Studio's needs a homerun and a grand slam.

Lots of singles lately. I don't blame people for tuning out. You're kind of forcing them to at this point.

Home runs are fun but the formula that really did it for them is consistent doubles and triples 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I think this is pretty much the whole shebang. 

Issue being that the entire saga central concept may make it difficult to recover that quality to previous sterling levels.   

But stand-alone good movies should still be able to go respectable grosses when compared to saga 1, perhaps with more muted openings and higher legs than if franchise hype remained elevated.

I don't know if I agree with that. Black Widow, Eternals and Love And Thunder were very much standalone films separate from the overall multiverse storyline and they had pretty anemic legs. Also isn't one of the biggest criticisms of the current saga is that little of it connects? Not that I think that will affect Guardians, since the last two movies were very much their own thing and they did great.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I don't know if I agree with that. Black Widow, Eternals and Love And Thunder were very much standalone films separate from the overall multiverse storyline and they had pretty anemic legs. Also isn't one of the biggest criticisms of the current saga is that little of it connects? Not that I think that will affect Guardians, since the last two movies were very much their own thing and they did great.

2 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

stand-alone good movies

Spoiler

I mean Eternals was good and BW was okay, but mostly what I mean is those that get pure As — the old ~guarantee, now rarity.  

The last one was BP and it indeed did fine enough (huge drop from BP1 tickets but can give it some real life circumstances pass)

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

One of the biggest strength within all of that interconnectivity and all that was that anyone could go watch a MCU movie and at least have a good time. Now that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Like Ant-Man 3 lacked everything a Phase 3 movie had as positives

I am skeptical that having to watch the Disney + shows to get some of what happens in the  movies was a good idea; that idea has been tried  and has never really worked that well, "The X Files" being a good example. OK to be in the same universe, but you should not have to subscribe to a streaming channel to enjoy a movie.

130 Million is a good opening in today's market.  Movie attendanece in general is down due to streaming, and I think the loss overall is permanent.IMHO this would have happened even if there had been no COvid; it would just have taken a few years longer. Covid just speeded up the inevitible. 

We haven’t had any movies that remotely required any D+ content to enjoy. DS2 was connected to WV but arguably even worse for WV fans because you knew that her plot was bullshit instead of being able to roll with it.   

CM2 and Cap:NWO will be the big tests since CM2 connect to SI, MM, and somewhat WV whereas Sam made his Cap debut in FWS.   

I am sure both movies have been written and tested with audiences who haven’t seen any shows in mind.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel Studio's needs a homerun and a grand slam.

Lots of singles lately. I don't blame people for tuning out. You're kind of forcing them to at this point.

That audience attendance to movies in general is down has not helped; Streaming has caused the sinble biggest permanent drop in movie theater attendance since the coming of TV in the late 1940's.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Its a very old joke.

Back when Rogue One came out, someone here (i dont remember who) argued with great detail why Rogue One despite its gross was not an event. It was funny and it stuck with me 😄

I thought when Disney first announced the 'One Star Wars Movie a Year Plan" I thought, "well, put out a movie every year means they are going to be a lot less of an event then they once were".

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I thought when Disney first announced the 'One Star Wars Movie a Year Plan" I thought, "well, put out a movie every year means they are going to be a lot less of an event then they once were".

That would be a GOOD THING, actually.