franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

Welp I've seen enough. I'm buying tickets for my first MCU theater experience since phase 3.

I was on the fence about taking my son since vol 2 made me cry and this movie is destined to make me snot bubble cry but I'm going for it.

Ultimately this trilogy has alot to say about family and being an outcast and maybe even bullies and I'm ready for one last ride into the beautiful sky..

(It's gonna be brutal though)

• Like 8

The animal cruelty nonsense must be trolls. Some of the biggest grossing films reflects animals in captivity/being harmed.

Anyway no red lights in these reviews. I don’t think these make any real difference compared to final reviews (especially after the nonsense over the years and the awful way Twitter reviews are written) but hopefully a good RT result.

Will it make a difference? Not sure but hopefully a sign of good WoM after release and maybe some legs even if the opening is weak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Little Syndrome said:

The reviews are exactly the same kind of propaganda that they released right before the premiere of Quatumania. The same extremely positive reactions for that film could neither drive audiences to theaters or compensate for a bad script. The same is true here. The third Guardians film looks like the cinematic embodiment of Gunn's furry fetish. Audiences do not want to watch Marvel's Zootopia. 

Username checks out.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

"Animal cruelty" is a really bizarre complaint unless it's literally played for fun, especially since Ava2 basically had an entire tulkun hunting scene that is a pretty damn obvious parallel to what happens to whales and I don't remember anyone making a big deal out of it

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

Between this thread and the flash my god, some of you are beyond annoying.

Gunn is one of the best comic book movie directors so no real surprise the reactions are good. He does emotional stakes better than most. Can’t wait to see this. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Gunn is one of the best comic book movie directors so no real surprise the reactions are good. He does emotional stakes better than most. Can’t wait to see this. 

You notice from the way they post that they are from the Snyder School of Cultists.

21 hours ago, M37 said:

My expectations for reviews/WOM: they will be good, but more akin to BPWF, where the apparently darker tone and finality aspect keep them from being exceptional

What that would do to box office prospects depends on what those holding out are looking for from the reviews

Sticking with this thought mostly. High 80s on RT, with maybe previous love for GOTG, finale aspect, or even just contrast to recent MCU release nudges it up low 90s; somewhere in high 60/low 70s on MC

Think those who were on the fence, not wanting to dive in without some assurance of good quality will now take the plunge, but the tone appears to be more serious/darker and emotional- less comedy and hi-jinks - than previous GOTG films, may still keep some in the wait-to-see mode

Even though I'm not a MCU fanboy, I really hope this movie performs well enough for the sake of that kind of movies.

We can always have good fun for different universes and there's nothing preventing them from coexisting. Good MCU movies don't depend on good DC movies and vice versa. 

I have to say I'm not excited to see GOTG 3. Maybe because I'm just a regular guy who usually watches most of these movies ( I haven't watched Quantumania yet and I watched Shazam 2 on video, though ), but this movie doesn't scream "WATCH ME ASAP".

Maybe, just maybe I'm giving it a chance based on comments from friends and known critics, but they aren't really impressing me. Perhaps marketing for GOTG 3 could have been better. Not sure, BUT I think ( this is just a personal feeling ) this movie is trying to sell something that it won't matter. Are there stakes? Are main characters going to die? This movie can perfectly be good, but maybe even being excellent doesn't matter anymore. I think many people want to see stakes for the franchise. Will things change to stay the same? Will things truly change?

The Multiverse storyline is interesting ( mostly for nostalgic stuff ) at first glance, BUT when they introduce such element, life and death really lose any kind of importance. We can literally have people dying and returning easily right after. Gamora being back is something that I'm not sold. Why? Because, she died and she returned ( her old version before meeting the Guardians ) and that can happen to anybody anytime. 

Maybe things might get more interesting if the Multiverse suffers serious consequences ( Phase 4 movies at least should adress it ), but I'm not sold on this movie.

That being said, I really hope you guys have a lot of fun with it and I'm rooting for good movies, not matter where they come from ( Sony, DC ). We need competition and competition so far has been bad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah there's a lot of people hoping this is a bomb because they want to use it against Gunns Superman film

The anti-Gunn DC crowd is fun on Twitter.

45 minutes ago, cax16 said:

It'll be awesome if Guardians Vol. 3 gives us proper send off and is a quality... Spider-verse gives us a proper sequel and expands on the first... And, Flash gives us some proper multiversing and some needed Keatonman nostalgia fix... I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that all three movies can do 300M+ DOM somehow. After some middling superhero movies from Marvel and DC and whoever else is making these things would be very nice to have 3 good ones in a row even if they don't do huge number. Hear, hear!

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah there's a lot of people hoping this is a bomb because they want to use it against Gunns Superman film

Have noticed this. Marvel fans suddenly love Quill hitting Thanos because Gunn said he wouldn’t do it. Is funny to see.

It’s not like Guardians does not have some serious dark moments. The first film is them all as criminals - including murderers - and the second has 

Gamora/Nebula have literally been captured and tortured. That’s their entire relationship. Resolving that. Thanos literally murders half the universe including half our hero’s.

Guardians has always been about damaged people going on adventures. Why it works over other superhero films is they don’t undercut the emotional moments with quips - the jokes are the characters being themselves so it goes along with the motions quite well.

I don’t see how anyone can be looking at the reviews and be hitting panic buttons.

11 hours ago, thajdikt said:

I can't get over this one.  Did he write a tweet and then screenshot it so that he could put it in another tweet and include the exact same text again?!

Okay, I just looked at his profile and yes that is just his style I guess.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It'll be awesome if Guardians Vol. 3 gives us proper send off and is a quality... Spider-verse gives us a proper sequel and expands on the first... And, Flash gives us some proper multiversing and some needed Keatonman nostalgia fix... I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that all three movies can do 300M+ DOM somehow. After some middling superhero movies from Marvel and DC and whoever else is making these things would be very nice to have 3 good ones in a row even if they don't do huge number. Hear, hear!

Guardians 3 - 375M+

Flash - 325M

Spiderverse - 305M

"SH movies are dead" argument aborted

19 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I can't get over this one.  Did he write a tweet and then screenshot it so that he could put it in another tweet and include the exact same text again?!

Honestly kind of appreciated being able to read th rest without hav8ng to tab out and click show more 😆

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I don't understand what's weird about that?

sHxuU8n.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7