franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

The GOTG movies at the Oscars:

GOTG

Best Visual Effects

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

GOTG II

Best Visual Effects

The vfx and makeup for VOL. 3 have been praised by those who have seen it. I suspect it will get noms from these two categories again. DUNE II will most probably win vfx, though.

8 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Not really. I definitely think he's overexaggerating, but I do agree in the sense that I'm not sure if these reviews are good enough to cut it in this day and age. People need that extra motivation to go out and see a movie in the streaming age. That being said, there are exceptions, as Mario's mixed reviews didn't hurt it in the slightest while Dungeons and Dragons being lauded didn't help much when the general audience just didn't care about the movie enough to make it profitable. Hopefully Guardians 3 will play out more like the former.

I agree very much on their being a higher bar needed to get people off their streaming couch and into the theaters (been banging this drum so much its pretty worn out lol), but I also think it matters why reviews are "good" or "bad". Generally, in the post-pandemic national mood, the more entertaining a film, how much it scratches that escapism itch, the less it has to be of high quality

I think the general tone of the reviews - a bit darker, an emotional goodbye, etc - are going to have a lesser effect at moving people off the fence to see it in theaters regardless of the RT score/overall quality. Very similar to BPWF, where good reviews didn't move the needle much from where it was already heading, while likes of Thor and JWD or even Mario now certainly weren't helped by average to below reviews, but also didn't turn that many people off. Whereas AMWQ went serious and was (apparently) not even good at that, and its legs absolutely crumbled (see previously: Morbius).

Also, people talk about D&D being disappointing or even a flop, and while in comparison to its budget no doubt, but it's on track to finish around same DOM total as Bullet Train and Lost City. Sure it didn't take off like Uncharted, but IMO the core audience here was a little niche, with a lot of negative perception surrounding the IP, and it did fairly well in spite of that.

• Like 1

Vol 3 having Vol 2 reception is nothing to scoff at except for anyone who thought it would have Vol 1 reception or better which was never going to happen. Novelty wore off and it isn't an event like Endgame where everyone was so hyped to love it and thus initially felt it was the best entry ( 4-5 years alter, Infinity War aged better and is now considered a superior movie). Vol 3 is meeting realistic expectations. It's not going below them. 

It's funny to see goalpost shifting. First some people couldn't wait for glowing RT to boost ticket sales and now that RT is just fine they don't want it mentioned. :hahaha:

@M37

Also, people talk about D&D being disappointing or even a flop, and while in comparison to its budget no doubt,

Well, that's the only flop description that matters - not breaking even/losing money. "but but movie X" comparison won't make a flop not a flop. Flop is flop. 

Very similar to BPWF, where good reviews didn't move the needle much from where it was already heading, while likes of Thor and JWD or even Mario now certainly weren't helped by average to below reviews, but also didn't turn that many people off.

What you just said means that reviews don't move the needle, period. It's just that fans hope unusually strong reviews will help the movie and if a movie opens on the higher side of expectations, they read into it that reviews helped which is confirmation bias. 

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@M37

Also, people talk about D&D being disappointing or even a flop, and while in comparison to its budget no doubt,

Well, that's the only flop description that matters - not breaking even/losing money. "but but movie X" comparison won't make a flop not a flop. Flop is flop. 

Throwing gobs of money at a production doesn’t inherently alter a film’s potential drawing power. I personally don’t set expectations based on what a studio is willing to invest, but rather what I believe the market will bear on return, and to me, D&D outperformed, even if the balance sheet is in the red

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Vol 3 having Vol 2 reception is nothing to scoff at except for anyone who thought it would have Vol 1 reception or better which was never going to happen. Novelty wore off and it isn't an event like Endgame where everyone was so hyped to love it and thus initially felt it was the best entry ( 4-5 years alter, Infinity War aged better and is now considered a superior movie). Vol 3 is meeting realistic expectations. It's not going below them. 

It's funny to see goalpost shifting. First some people couldn't wait for glowing RT to boost ticket sales and now that RT is just fine they don't want it mentioned. :hahaha:

This is the common behavior of these fans. Rotten Tomatoes is 90+% for a movie. Critics are the best. Rotten Tomatoes is <85%. Critics are stupid, I don't care what they think. This is all disingenuous behavior. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elzorro said:

This is the common behavior of these fans. Rotten Tomatoes is 90+% for a movie. Critics are the best. Rotten Tomatoes is <85%. Critics are stupid, I don't care what they think. This is all disingenuous behavior. 

Exactly. It's pick and choose.

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Same type of reactions would have given movie 93-94% at rt pre pandemic

Oh critics are ruthless to Marvel now. Marvels is going to be panned left and right 🥺

I don't think they're ruthless now, they just stopped coddling them as they did before for some reason. Do you remember the endless "Disney pays off reviewers" memes we used to get? They didn't come from nowhere, people could tell there was something off with the reviews the MCU was getting.

There wasn’t “something off” with them, lol. They had consistently high scores because they were consistently solidly put together and enjoyable. Some people’s s inability to grasp such a basic situation is baffling.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1