efialtes76

Weekend Estimates

ANH's re-release adjusts to 235m! :blink: That's more than what most tentpoles do today.

Yeah, that was huge....but you've gotta account for the unique, non-replicable circumstances surrounding that. Bear in mind that I say this as a huge SW fan. At that time, SW was really starting to make a huge comeback after being off the radar for the later-80's and early-90's. And, in my opinion, there was this HUGE kind of mystique and aura about SW, because the PT was announced and everybody thought that that was going to be this cinematic and cultural revelation, like the movies were going to reveal the meaning of life or something. And, also in 1997, SW didn't have the stigma of being a niche product for a specific demographic - fanboys or "geeks" or whatever. Back then, EVERYBODY liked SW - 8 to 80, as they say.And even with all that, the fad faded VERY quickly: the performances of the ESB and ROTJ re-releases both did much worse. The trendline was terrible. So I wouldn't use the 97 re-release of the first SW as a barometer for any of the newer 3D rereleases. I think that, with what's happened to SW in the past decade - basically, just one product that everybody really liked (ROTS) - Lucasfilm now just has a niche product rather than a true cultural phenomenon. It's a BIG niche, but still just a niche. So I think that 40m to 60m is the range for all the re-releases (if they even follow up after TPM's middling performance).

SW wasn't on DVD then.

DVD hadn't been introduced in the U.S until two months later (and that was only in a test market) but Star Wars was widely available on VHS if I recall. Edited by C00k13

DVD hadn't even been introduced in the U.S until two months later (and that was only in a test market) but Star Wars was widely available on VHS if I recall.

Of course it was. But that's my point. There were a lot more reasons to go see the re-releases back then than there are now.

How can anyone say TPM is better than The Lion King? That's BEYOND stupid.

Hey man, I'm sure that to the Twi-hards out there, 'New Moon' is better than 'Citizen Kane'. It's all totally subjective. To me, 'Speed Racer' is one of the best movies of the past decade and Bruce Springsteen is the greatest musician ever. You can't expect that everybody agrees with (what you presume to be) the consensus opinions on TLK and TPM.

TPM's performance is not bad, but not great either. The Clone Wars movie opened to $15M and went on to make $35M. BatB opened to $22M over a 4-Day period. So, overall, I would say Lucasfilm is pleased and the other 5 movies are on their way to 3D.With that said, what makes its BO look lackluster is that the other three openers are performing way above expectations. 2012 is off to a good strong start.

Of course it was. But that's my point. There were a lot more reasons to go see the re-releases back then than there are now.

I find it hard, if not impossible, to disagree with this point. It's simply true...the factors leading in to that re-release were much stronger than they are now...or for that matter, will probably ever be again.