FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

30 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

By the way, is WB satisfied with Kong's numbers?

I mean, its overseas numbers are being saved by China ( China again, lol ).  Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that was 12 years ago. So, I don't know how WB feels about these numbers.

Has this movie even made a profit?

Not sure what you mean by has this movie even made a profit, give it 6-18 month to have some chance to do so, it is still so new.

Has for WB satisfied with Kong's numbers they must be versus some of the prediction made a month before it's release, versus their expectation when it was greenlight we will never know, but I would imagine that they are yes.

I don't know how much WB get involved on the production side or if they act only as a distributor in those Legendary/Tencent Pictures movie, but either way it is performing as well as they probably thought a King Kong movie could in 2017.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Also keep in mind, TDK is at 534.8 mil (TDK trilogy showings?), which put R1 out of reach.

Rogue One is out of reach even excluding those TDK trilogy showings. Where is Rogue One gonna find the $2m it needs to reach TDK's original $533.34m gross? It's already in the middle of a dollar theater run based on increased theater count this weekend. Doesn't seem it will get there. 

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

It'd need at least $250M to make its money back.

Domestic heading towards $100M-$125M

OS minus China is doing $50M-$75M

Unless China overperforms Lionsgate isn't making its money back

Lionsgate sold the OS rights more than likely, so they probably have already profited on it.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Rogue One is out of reach even excluding those TDK trilogy showings. Where is Rogue One gonna find the $2m it needs to reach TDK's original $533.34m gross? It's already in the middle of a dollar theater run based on increased theater count this weekend. Doesn't seem it will get there. 

I know it's not getting there, just saying that Disney could have potentially tried to make a stronger push to pass TDK over the past month and a half or so if the end goal was slightly within more reach.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

IMO Jurassic World run was more surprising than TFA, BatB and even TA because it just came completely out of nowhere. With all of the others, at least some people expected record/close to record numbers from them, but not JW. That film shocked all of us.

JW was a shock for sure, but it confirmed that nostalgia is a very powerful element at the box office. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Lionsgate sold the OS rights more than likely, so they probably have already profited on it.

Sure they profited from it now but in the long run they've shot themselves in the foot with all these international distributors who have bought rights from them for several possible franchises only to be the ones who lose money on the films while Lionsgate profits from the domestic numbers. It doesn't bode well for future partnerships which imo is what matters for a company like Lionsgate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Would you guys say the Power Rangers 6 film saga is in jeopardy? Tough call but I'm leaning toward yes

Saban was a complete idiot for even making that claim before the movie hit theaters. At this point be lucky if they even get a second one. lol

• Like 1

Shocking for Power Rangers here in the U.K., my 20.20 showing on saturday was sold out too. There was very little advertising though, been saying that for weeks! I'm glad Get Out beat it anyway :lol:.

Life looks headed to $75m with those worldwide opening markets. Add in it's upcoming markets and it could still cross $100m worldwide, which helps save some face I guess. 

57 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It will make a profit easily. WB is probably pleased.

Easily?

Despite getting a budget of 185 million plus whatever they spent for marketing?

Despite Peter Jackson's Kong box office of 550 million 12 years ago?

It'll make a profit, but let's not kid ourselves here, lol. :)

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Would you guys say the Power Rangers 6 film saga is in jeopardy? Tough call but I'm leaning toward yes

Possibly, but nothing it is still locked. If PR really opens with $ 40M, it will need x2.5 to make $ 100M DOM. Other than that, there are some major markets missing open such as France, South Korea, China, Japan, Italy and Spain. And let's remember that PR does not have 3D, nor IMAX.

Edited by alisson23

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Shocking for Power Rangers here in the U.K., my 20.20 showing on saturday was sold out too. There was very little advertising though, been saying that for weeks! I'm glad Get Out beat it anyway :lol:.

Life looks headed to $75m with those worldwide opening markets. Add in it's upcoming markets and it could still cross $100m worldwide, which helps save some face I guess. 

Yeah, whoever was behind the marketing for PR in UK. Probably getting fired right now.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If Life manages to make that much internationally, I'm sure Sony would take that and run with it at this point. It at least puts them in a spot where if they lost money on the film, it's not catastrophic or whatever. Probably just to the point where they broke even. 

In regards to PR in the U.K....BATB is killing it and everything else playing there. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Momo said:

Box Office Mojo said PR made an estimate 2 million in UK. Is that accurate?

Yes.  By now, everything that comes out is studio estimates.....not someone with a calculator at mojo adding up dollars.

3 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Possibly, but nothing it is still locked. If PR really opens with $ 40M, it will need x2.5 to make $ 100M DOM. Other than that, there are some major markets missing open such as France, South Korea, China, Japan, Italy and Spain. And let's remember that PR does not have 3D, nor IMAX.

I still don't understand why Lionsgate didn't release PR in 3D. They shot themselves in the foot when they did that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

IMO Jurassic World run was more surprising than TFA, BatB and even TA because it just came completely out of nowhere. With all of the others, at least some people expected record/close to record numbers from them, but not JW. That film shocked all of us.

Yea, no kidding.  I remember there was talk of JW grossing around 300 million when it was first announced.  I mean, this was before a trailer or anything but just saying that when the film was first announced, some thought it would do about half of what it did.  No one initially thought it would 600M.