CJohn

CINEMACON 2017 | Official Thread

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I guess we know why it is embargoed. If that is the best Frosty can come up with :)

It seems like it is decent but not the huge game changer for the franchise that it was touted as being (best since the first one or better than OST is like clearing the bare minimum hurdle)

Who was touting this as a game changer?

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I guess we know why it is embargoed. If that is the best Frosty can come up with :)

It seems like it is decent but not the huge game changer for the franchise that it was touted as being (best since the first one or better than OST is like clearing the bare minimum hurdle)

The second and third have their fans. So better than those would be a good thing. Also I was expecting full reviews to be embargoed since we're still two months ahead 

I am at least encouraged by the Pirates reports - I enjoyed the last one when it came out but that was mainly as others have noted that it cut down on the bloat of the previous two films but over the last 6 years even with a rewatch I can't remember much about it.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Not bad since it's fresh on RT and made more than people expected 

But it made less than the last one as well.

So box office could go either way for Pirates 5 dependent on how much interest is left.

Edited by Jay Beezy

6 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

But it made less than the last one as well.

So box office could go either way for Pirates 5 dependent on how much interest is left.

By 11m and made more worldwide.

making less is not a bad thing, as long as it still gets a solid total. Ballooning budgets though will likely make this the last one 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Yeah, however much Pirates makes will depend on how much interest is left in the property six years after the last one. Disney saw another Johnny Depp sequel arrive the same amount of time after the previous one last year to astonishingly dismal numbers (though it's very unlikely Pirates goes that low), and audiences have been flat-out rejecting unnecessary/unwanted sequels left and right in general the past two years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

By 11m and made more worldwide.

making less is not a bad thing, as long as it still gets a sold total. Ballooning budgets though will likely make this the last one 

Yeah, the budget is what would likely kill this if it doesn't draw up enough interest.

I can pretty much look at each little bits perceived as return-to-form elements and see them as reasons why people *may* not be interested in the new movie because of them. Call it the Curse of the Cynic.

Quite frankly, it would *need* to be a game-changer to draw up enough interest. I dunno if it's enough to *just* go back to its roots. See Star Trek Beyond.

Edited by Jay Beezy

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

The Pirates reactions are calling MIB3 to mind.

Coming after a horrible film in franchise gives you these kind of reactions yes.

You can only go up from there.