WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

7 minutes ago, straggler said:

GitS will lilkely come in under $19 million OW. Did not really care for the marketing. The thing that sinks these type of films is the price tag. They made Lucy, which I did not like at all even as a Fifth Element fan, for what, $40 million?  

$110m isn't big for heavily effects driven film.  Passengers costs that much.  Passengers was more top heavy with star salary ($32.5m) but Scarlett at $17.5 wasn't cheap either.

Lucy, smaller scale than GitS cost $70m+.  The $40m often reported is wrong and stems from a bad conversion from the budget in 2013 Euros.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Just now, Telerian said:

For all the spectacle, it also doesn't really offer anything new. You sit there reminded of other, better movies. 

And this is coming from someone who generally liked it more than most. 

I haven't seen it yet (although I might check it out on a Discount Tuesday or something before it leaves just for the F/X), but even some of the city shots in the previews look like they might as well have been cribbed from the original Blade Runner.

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

For all the spectacle, it also doesn't really offer anything new. You sit there reminded of other, better movies. 

And this is coming from someone who generally liked it more than most. 

The trailers reminded me of Blade Runner. The visuals seemed to be great. Problem is, i then wanted to see Blade Runner and not GitS 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What is La Binoche's opinion on ScarJo? GITS must have her soooooo conflicted if she hates her :lol: 

I think she likes ScarJo because she had an Under the Skin sig for a while. However, knowing her, she probably hates her too on any given day (like everybody else who isn't Isabelle Huppert).

• Like 2

The MonsterVerse is surviving. Since Kong was the only MV film I was worried about box office wise, and now that it'll end with a healthy gross, I can see LP, WB and Wanda planning more films beyond GvsKong.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

So, a $14.5M weekend for PR means about a 60.5% real drop from last weekend. The two films PR is most readily comparable to in box office terms, Jack the Giant Slayer and The Divergent Series: Allegiant, had real drops of 63.8% and 64.6% respectively. So in that sense at least, it's doing a little better than one might expect.

Edited by johnboy3434

Just now, YourMother said:

Smurfs The Lost Village O/U Storks domestic?

Under for sure, The OS numbers for the markets it has been released in aren't good. I think if Emojimovie flops and The Star does as well, it might signal the end of SPA.

I didn't see what GITS offered to female viewers...shots of Scar Jo and glass crashing is not selling me on anything.  So, you limited your viewers to mostly men through the trailers.  Then you open against a popular kid movie (when there hasn't been one in ages) on March Madness weekend while your date night movie, B&TB, is still also rocking...and you have controversy following you (ala last year's Ghostbusters for different reasons)...and that's not a recipe for BO success...

Sometimes middling movies make bank b/c they open at the right time, with the right buzz, and the right circumstances...GITS had almost none of that, so it went the opposite way...

Some would say Boss Baby had all 3 (great timing as the only animated for kids movie, great buzz from funny trailers, and online ticket seller wars w/ cheap tickets aplenty)...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm feeling under tbh. Nobody really cares.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Under for sure, The OS numbers for the markets it has been released in aren't good. I think if Emojimovie flops and The Star does as well, it might signal the end of SPA.

Also thinking under for sure, thinking $18M OW with a $55M-$65M domestic total. However I do think The Star could do over $100M domestic due to it being a Christmas movie and I think Emoji could breakout (sadly), but even if both flop, I think the end of SPA will depend on it's next 4 movies in 2018 (Peter Rabbit, HT3, Goosebumps 2, and Animated Spider-Man)

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Also thinking under for sure, thinking $18M OW with a $55M-$65M domestic total. However I do think The Star could do over $100M domestic due to it being a Christmas movie and I think Emoji could breakout (sadly), but even if both flop, I think the end of SPA will depend on it's next 4 movies in 2018 (Peter Rabbit, HT3, Goosebumps 2, and Animated Spider-Man)

I just checked what The Star was. It's got Oprah in it so it'll be fine.

Image result for oprah running on hot coals gif

41 minutes ago, franfar said:

With an OW of 19m it would need 2.47x to surpass it.... Over 

I don't see it holding all that well next weekend though and Furious 8 is going to decimate it. Could be close.

Edited by cookie