WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

The yellow ranger in Power Rangers is gay. The definition of "major blockbuster" is loose, but PR was still a major, mainstream movie.

That's why I didn't say major, but you're right, I guess. I meant Potter will be the first in a massive blockbuster franchise. 

21 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Potter's always been grounded in reality when it comes to human terms. And the series will take place between 1926 and end in 1945 with the fifth and final film. The next one takes place in Paris and London and it will also introduce Dumbledore (as the first major character in any major blockbuster to be gay). 

Spoiler

Finn and Poe. Probably.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Potter's always been grounded in reality when it comes to human terms. And the series will take place between 1926 and end in 1945 with the fifth and final film. The next one takes place in Paris and London and it will also introduce Dumbledore (as the first major character in any major blockbuster to be gay). 

It depend if you are talking major blockbuster in term of success (say Black Swan being one), or budget

Skyfall would fit that description in everyway, other candidate (I have not seen to really say but come up in list like this) Star Trek Beyond, Finding Dory and independence day resurgence.

Fit less the description of a blockbuster, but had massive budget or achieve massive success: Cloud Atlas, American Beauty, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, As Good as It Gets

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Blockbuster meant that so many people are seeing a movie that lines are literally blocking streets if im not totally wrong^^ It is kinda overused.

For films with huge budgets the term Tentpole is better i think, regardless if they make money or not.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But seriously I can't just use DOM to determine blockbuster status.

I'd say anything over 300 m WW is a blockbuster.

Anything over 1.5 billion WW is a global phenomenon.

I see your point but if i remember correctly there was a small film called "Frozen" that wasnt a global phenomenon by your definition :sparta:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Doesn't that depend on the production and advertising budget?

Blockbuster definition changed over time a little bit.

Before (and still to many), blockbuster is just a word to say it did massive business, you can use it for a book for example and that had a low production budget.

Now it tend to include also anything that had a giant business and the ambition to be sold worldwide, movie are called blockbuster before the first weekend now by some.

I would have no problem including both, 50 shades of gray is a blockbuster and it is ok in a way to call battleship a blockbuster, even if it does not really fit the original definition of the word.

3 minutes ago, Telerian said:

I know it sounds kind of absurd, but PR deserves credit for having a gay hero and a hero on the spectrum while treating both as completely normal and acceptable. 

After BKB reads this post:

jPPLT0p.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It depend if you are talking major blockbuster in term of success (say Black Swan being one), or budget

Skyfall would fit that description in everyway, other candidate (I have not seen to really say but come up in list like this) Star Trek Beyond, Finding Dory and independence day resurgence.

Fit less the description of a blockbuster, but had massive budget or achieve massive success: Cloud Atlas, American Beauty, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, As Good as It Gets

Finding Dory was irrelevant. Just like BaTB's was almost just as irrelevant and vanilla.

And I loved those movies you mentioned at the end but they are not considered blockbusters. I know some of them did well at the box office, but on a worldwide scale that tries to appeal to both adults and children, there has not been one major gay character that had an active role (aside from PR but that's a dud and won't be seen by many). Potter will be the first on such a massive scale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I see your point but if i remember correctly there was a small film called "Frozen" that wasnt a global phenomenon by your definition :sparta:

You add an imaginary 200 m for original properties. :ph34r: