WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

9 hours ago, Momo said:

I thought we already had Sunday numbers or was those numbers from early in the day just estimates?

Sunday numbers, that come out Sunday, are always estimates.  Sometimes RTH or Empire will give us more accurate Sunday numbers, either late Sunday or really early on Monday.  BaTB has gone up every Sunday so far.  

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Sunday numbers, that come out Sunday, are always estimates.  Sometimes RTH or Empire will give us more accurate Sunday numbers, either late Sunday or really early on Monday.  BaTB has gone up every Sunday so far.  

I find it hard to see BATB beating their already optimistic -25%

• Like 2

I am a bit bullish on Smurfs next weekend. Even though the 2nd Smurfs dropped bad from the first movie, this one is not really a threequal. It's a fresh start with a different medium - pure cg animation vs live-action-animation mix.

Not that it will do big numbers but there is some talk about how BB ow will be bigger than Smurfs dom. I don't see that. Smurfs can certainly do The Nut Job numbers.  I expect it to go higher with 23 ow/3.4x/78 dom.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I am a bit bullish on Smurfs next weekend. Even though the 2nd Smurfs dropped bad from the first movie, this one is not really a threequal. It's a fresh start with a different medium - pure cg animation vs live-action-animation mix.

Not that it will do big numbers but there is some talk about how BB ow will be bigger than Smurfs dom. I don't see that. Smurfs can certainly do The Nut Job numbers.  I expect it to go higher with 23 ow/3.4x/78 dom.

I was expecting those numbers but it just opened terribly in the UK.  $1.75m including previews

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-beauty-and-the-beast-crosses-50m-mark/5116473.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

Sony’s animation journeyed to $1.75m (£1.4m) from its 528 sites, including $585,000 (£467,000) in previews. Its Fri-Sun tally of $1.17m (£933,000) would have seen it chart fourth behind Get Out.

The result is less than half the openings of the previous two Smurfs outings in the UK, although The Lost Village is an animated reboot of the franchise and not a threequel to those films.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I was expecting those numbers but it just opened terribly in the UK.  $1.75m including previews

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-beauty-and-the-beast-crosses-50m-mark/5116473.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

I remember when I saw Lego Batman and Smurfs got virtually no reaction (even the dubbed Lego Ninjago trailer got a few laughs), doesn't shock me that it's a non-starter.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

That is a bad omen.

Smurfs 2 (2013) though didn't drop as badly in UK (-35%) from Smurfs (2011) as it did in USA (-50%). So I feel with USA Lost Village is starting more from the bottom and hopefully won't further show that big a drop. Also Emma Watson being UK's home girl would have relatively attracted more family audience away from Lost Village. Either way, I hope it at least does high-teens in US/Canada.

It's too precious and cute a property, with a lot of potential, to see fettered away. I never liked the live-action idea. Before they released Smurfs (2011) I used to think that when they make a CG Smurfs, it would be the next Shrek - and the numbers the first one did showed it's mammoth potential. But the first two movies took away the shine from the franchise.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, Noctis said:

Gitesh reporting $48.16M for BATB!!!!

Woo! Didn't reach $50M like I was hoping it would but that's  just under ROGUE ONE ($49.6M) in terms of 3rd weekends. 6th all time!

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Those crappy live-action movies pretty much burned everyone on the Smurfs brand.

Smurfs was a sizable part of my early 80's childhood Saturday mornings and I still haven't managed to watch one of the films.

Can I get a California Raisins full length animated movie though!!

53 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Woo! Didn't reach $50M like I was hoping it would but that's  just under ROGUE ONE ($49.6M) in terms of 3rd weekends. 6th all time!

Genuine question: I'm wondering if it hurt or helped RO that it's third weekend was New Years? 

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

11 minutes ago, Harley said:

Where was this reported? If true BB better not drop much or overestimated the weekend returns.

7 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Gitesh. As in the guy who runs Box Office Guru.

You can spot the newbies because they believe Noctis's fake numbers.

• Like 12