Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

Just now, Harley said:

I think it'll just get past $500m. Having an international cast is really helping it over seas. Hitting $1 billion Foreign Accent Smurfette will be easier than $500m.

The "international" part of the cast is all British - isn't it?  Even Lumiere>  They should have at least cast a Frenchman for that role- might have been a been a bit bigger in France.

11 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Remember, the only Kids-Movie in May is Wimpy Kid. 

Not even think the kids are going, a lot of kids are mad about Rodrick's casting.

• Like 1

If BatB follow's Alice's legs from here on out (and that had CotT taking 3d screens on its fifth weekend back when people actually gave a shit about 3D), it gets to $490m. Following The Jungle Book/OZ is the absolute best case scenario, getting it to $510m. Cinderella's legs gets it to $515m.

I think a certain territory near the Caribbean may get this to $500m.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Wonder if Guardians V2 can do $400M+?

My range for the OW is 135-155M. Using that, it'll need a multiplier of 2.58-2.96x for 400M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The "international" part of the cast is all British - isn't it?  Even Lumiere>  They should have at least cast a Frenchman for that role- might have been a been a bit bigger in France.

You mean someone like Jean Reno? And french actresses like Audrey Tautou or Léa Seydoux for some female characters?

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

My range for the OW is 135-155M. Using that, it'll need a multiplier of 2.58-2.96x for 400M.

That high end might be hard, even if it is even more comedic & family audience friendly than the usual MCU.  The biggest multiplier for an MCU sequel was TWS with 2.73

• Like 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You mean someone like Jean Reno? And french actresses like Audrey Tautou or Léa Seydoux for some female characters?

Yes, though I was thinking Jean Dujardin for Lumiere.

Hmmm... Audrey Tautou would have once made a lovely Belle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes, though I was thinking Jean Dujardin for Lumiere.

Hmmm... Audrey Tautou would have once made a lovely Belle.

True for Audrey Tautou. She was really good in films like Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Coco Before Chanel.....even her highest grossing film, The Da Vinci Code. She is a well known french actress. ?

• Like 1

The Boss Baby had a pretty mediocre hold considering that Smurfs didn't do much business, but it has still gone well above and beyond my muted pre-release expectations. It should finish with at least $140 million, but it could push toward $150 million if it stabilizes a bit more from here.

Beauty and the Beast continues to post acceptable staying power. I'm kinda bummed that it couldn't return to #1 over the weekend, but oh well. It's going to need to start posting some stronger holds over the weekends to break $500 million.

Smurfs: The Lost Village got smurfed by the returning family competition. ;) (Sorry, I just had to try the smurfing filter.) The progressively weaker performances of the sequels go to show what a fluke the first live action film was in 2011, but it will surely see international numbers come to the rescue.

Going in Style did okay. Even with so little competition for adults, the middling reviews put it in a tough spot. It should hold up decently in the coming weeks.

Ghost in the Shell got destroyed, as expected.

Power Rangers got flattened again. I know $100 million wasn't a guarantee after that opening weekend, but it's set to miss that milestone by a pretty significant amount. From a quick scan at BOM, it looks like the film will go down for now as the fifth biggest opener to miss $100 million, narrowly ahead of Insidious Chapter 2.

According to Box Office Mojo, Ghost in the Shell is currently sitting on $124,373,450 worldwide. However, China and Japan aren't listed among the foreign countries that have released their box office data. So, what do you guys think? 

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

The Boss Baby had a pretty mediocre hold considering that Smurfs didn't do much business, but it has still gone well above and beyond my muted pre-release expectations. It should finish with at least $140 million, but it could push toward $150 million if it stabilizes a bit more from here.

Beauty and the Beast continues to post acceptable staying power. I'm kinda bummed that it couldn't return to #1 over the weekend, but oh well. It's going to need to start posting some stronger holds over the weekends to break $500 million.

Smurfs: The Lost Village got smurfed by the returning family competition. ;) (Sorry, I just had to try the smurfing filter.) The progressively weaker performances of the sequels go to show what a fluke the first live action film was in 2011, but it will surely see international numbers come to the rescue.

Going in Style did okay. Even with so little competition for adults, the middling reviews put it in a tough spot. It should hold up decently in the coming weeks.

Ghost in the Shell got destroyed, as expected.

Power Rangers got flattened again. I know $100 million wasn't a guarantee after that opening weekend, but it's set to miss that milestone by a pretty significant amount. From a quick scan at BOM, it looks like the film will go down for now as the fifth biggest opener to miss $100 million, narrowly ahead of Insidious Chapter 2.

I'm not sure if there will be a movie that open around $50-60M and misses $100M DOM. Paranormal Activity 3 came close, but that film still made over $104M.

6 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

According to Box Office Mojo, Ghost in the Shell is currently sitting on $124,373,450 worldwide. However, China and Japan aren't listed among the foreign countries that have released their box office data. So, what do you guys think? 

124 million probably include those market, Mojo are slower in updating individual country result than the total.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/beauty-and-the-beast-ghost-in-the-shell-boss-baby-kong-china-international-box-office-weekend-1202066154/

Thanks to a weekend largely led by China, Paramount/DreamWorks/Reliance’s Ghost In The Shell emerged as the No. 1 film overseas this frame. In the Middle Kingdom, the Scarlett Johansson-starrer earned $21.4M — higher than the actress’ 2014 actioner Lucy which bowed to $20M there.

In the Japanese launch, Ghost came in with $3.2M. While the film has been decently received there, and the market is slow burn, neither it nor China are expected to fully bail Ghost out.

The international cume is now $92.8M and some industry estimates see it landing between $150M and $175M at the end of the day. 

9 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

The estimate includes the entire w/e which means China & Japan's opening weekends are included. 

Edit: China's cume doesn't much matter to Paramount's bottom line though since it sold the rights outright there for twenty something million.  A good deal for them since it probably wont do $80m+ there.

Edited by TalismanRing